MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im building a kit car and want to strap a turbo to the 1.4 gti 16v engine... is this possible and any tips how to do so please??? thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aint no email addy.bloke sourcing from sed shud work with minor alterations intercooler and manifold.the turbo is off a 1.8 rover mg

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Wouldn't have thought this possible without major engine mods like forged pistons and con rods, steel head gasket etc. Have you contacted:

http://www.moto-build.com/

They'll know if it's possible...

Or, indeed, worthwhile.

Rik
It is possible but the compression ratio needs to be changed and the fuelling will need altering in a major way ! It isnt a straight forward "bolt on" job !

We did a Metro Turbo in 1987, it went like stink but suffered from massive torque steer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats actually really helpful... uv givin me hope lol. can i be a pest and ask wot engine it was, wot happened and cud the torque steer be solved? we need it in our 1.4 16valve twin caM ENGINE. the turbo is off a 1.8 mg zr with manifold intercooler and oil pipes included. what needs to be done. and how much £££ we lukin at?? thanx

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
on standard internals it wont last very long.

I remember a thread about a french guy doing it.

i doubt the turbo is off a 1.8 mg zr - they never did one. maybe from a 75?

by the way - text speak is ******* annoying and against the forum rules.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
No ZR was ever turbo'd.

Do you mean a Rover 75 1.8T? These are 160bhp in the 1.8 with not a great deal of potential to go further.

If so, you may as well fit a VVC engine as it will be more suitable to a kit car.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
thats actually really helpful... uv givin me hope lol. can i be a pest and ask wot engine it was, wot happened and cud the torque steer be solved? we need it in our 1.4 16valve twin caM ENGINE. the turbo is off a 1.8 mg zr with manifold intercooler and oil pipes included. what needs to be done. and how much £££ we lukin at?? thanx
It was a 1400 "K" series twin cam but was running carburettors at the time. The toque steer would have needed to be worked on, either by using a jack shaft (as 75 does) to equal the shaft length

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
No ZR was ever turbo'd.

Do you mean a Rover 75 1.8T? These are 160bhp in the 1.8 with not a great deal of potential to go further.

If so, you may as well fit a VVC engine as it will be more suitable to a kit car.
A Turbo ZR was done in 2004 as a trial to see how it would run, it was a nice car aswell. Never made production though, as you rightly said

·
Registered
360 Posts
hi i have seen a few turbo zrs on youtube i think most people use the 2.0 16v t series engine which produces around 200bhp if my memory serves me right.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
the VVC is the engine of choice for a kitcar, putting a turbo onto a 1400 would not last long and the 1.8t takes up alot more space at the front.

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
the VVC is the engine of choice for a kitcar, putting a turbo onto a 1400 would not last long and the 1.8t takes up alot more space at the front.
IIRC, the 1.8 and 1.4 blocks are the same (in size). They use the same amount of space. Which is why so many Metros get VVC conversions.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i changed a few bits on mine.

forged pistons and rods, vvc inlet manifold, big injectors, maestro turbo hybrid intercooler and a DTA ecu.

for yours..

the new land rover head gasket will lower the compression a little but you may need a little more. maybe a thicker copper head gasket.

definatly need aftermarket ecu.

std 1.8t runs 4psi off the actuator. youd be best to leave it at that.

in theory that will give you 30bhp. not the greatest power hike for all the effort.

Drew

·
Registered
360 Posts
well iv been talkin to a guy who builds engines 4 cars he can turbo my 1.4 mg zr and do a little work to it and it will see near enough 200bhp and run like a dream. he currently owns an astra gsi which produces 350bhp and rund 12 sec quarter miles all day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts