MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondering if any1 knows that because the k series engine is pretty much the same on all rovers that if a 1.8 MG Manifold or a 220/620/820 or coupe Rover Turbo manifolds will just bolt on?Thanks

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
The engine you mention there is a T series, not a K series.

So no they will not fit a K series.

As for the 1.8 MG manifold. Which one on to which car?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
no the T series 220/420/620/820 turbo manifold wont fit a K series.

but if you want a turbo manifold, rover made a 1.8turbo K series, fitted to teh rover 75.

Drew

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Sorry i thought the 200 and mg both had k series engines? in that case i am looking for a turbo manifold to fit the mg zr engine(k?), and there would be no difference in fittings for a 1.4 and 1.8 exhaust manifold would there?
Thanks for your help so far :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The manifolds were roughly the same from 1.4 upto 1.8 on the later cars. The one you were thinking of before in the Rover 200 is actually only fitted to the 2 litre which as Stu mentioned is a T-series.

Fitting a 1.8 exhaust manifold will not give you much if any gains at all. If you are after a better manifold, you should start looking at 4-2-1 manifolds. They are not cheap, but there is a reason why you can pick up a standard manifold for £35.00.

You could try fitting a VVC/Trophy style manifold, but again, on it's own, next to no gains, and you would need to sort the down pipe out as they are different.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
in that case i am looking for a turbo manifold to fit the mg zr engine(k?),
i know mate, the rover 75 had a 1.8 K series turbo engine fitted into it. its the engine in the pic above.

use that manifold, could use the std turbo as well, mod the 75 d/p to fit of get a new one made. i have a T2 fitted to mine, should be able to fit a T25 or T28 as well, depends on the engine / power requirements.

Drew

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi , just wondering if you know what kind of boost the turbo puts out, and since its got an internal wastegate would a dumpvalve still work?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
wastegate controls the amount of boost the turbo puts out.
the dumpvalve releases excess pressure in the inlet when changing gear.

both are fitted to the std turbo.

the dumpvalve is bolted to the inlet side of the turbo and recirculates the air back into the turbo intake.

im unsure of the exact boost the std one runs at, but its will be between 4-7psi. not worth changing to an atmospheric dumpvalve, wont make much noise imo.

if you get a nice big air filter near the turbo you will hear the std recirc valve working.

Drew

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, thanks once again drew, would you recommend putting the turbo onto a 1.4 k series, with intercooler, oil cooler, running low boost and letting the engine cool down after long journeys etc,Thanks again:)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
yeah mate turbo is definatly the way to go. but its a risk on a std engine.

imo 1.4's are pretty cheap, if you have the time to fit the turbo etc and enough spare cash to get another 1.4 if you need it! then you will be fine.

if the ZR is your daily driver then id be a little concerned.

no need for an oil cooler imo.

intercooler is definatly needed.

id consider fitting a 220turbo rad/fans/intercoler etc. fits easy enough, has a water pipe on the rad for the turbo, easy pipework etc.

i would also recomend a new ecu as the est one wont be able to add fuel nor retard the ignition when boosting.

only need a minute for the turbo to cool a little before shutdown. going easy a few miles before you get home will cool the engine down to normal operating temp.

Drew

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, Thanks again, i have a spare 1.4 k series anyway, already got the turbo, manifold, intercooler, pipe work etc, the car is generally for fun because i have a work vehicle, if i wanted to make sure nothing major went wrong without spending thousands, would you recommend copper head gasket? or just one out of a landrover maybe? and would the forged pistons etc really be needed when not using the car excessivly engine only has 15,000 on the clock anyway,Thanks alot for all your help.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
TBH yes i think you'll find the std pistons will die pretty early on. only real problem is if a piston breaks up the conrod will normally smash the rest of the engine to bits!

also the std rods are no thicker than my fingers, i would expect them to bend pretty easy too.

but if you just wanted to give it a go see how far you could go with it, just do it!

LR head gasket will lower the comp a little not a great deal though, copper can be made very thick like a spacer but very expensive, iro £150.

Drew

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again, Just out of interest what modifications have you made to your engine? And where is the best place to get forged or appropriate pistons, rods~?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
originally when i had my metro gti, i got a set of rods made and a set of pistons, added an aftermarket ecu, vvc inlet, bigger injectors and a T2 hybrid. i kept the rods and turbo etc when i started building a much bigger engine for the metro. got close but didnt quite finish it though :(

for my new engine, i still had a few of hose bits laying about in my garage! so thought id make use of them.

added a got a set of accralite pistons and a new 75t oil pump. few bearings and gaskets, thats about all i bought recently.

will still need an ecu, probably DTA S40 as its cheap and ive used a lot of dta's in the past.

i could get some rods / pistons made for you if you were interested.
not cheap though..
rods iro £800
pistons iro £500

Drew

·
Registered
292 Posts
I noticed that all oil pumps on the K have been changed for the one on the 75-T. That´s what it says in my EPC anyway. There are VIN n° to it as of when the change has become effective.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts