MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just purchased a tuning box for my r25 derv but i dont feel any difference in the car at all. i have one of rover rons thingys fitted so i thought it may be that. so tried taken it off but still no difference. i sent a email to the ppl and they sent this back
"Have you tried changing the jumper pin position, (the 4 x black jumpers
on the right) try taking 1 off or 2 from the middle, you can change the
composition to find the program which suits the engine."
can anyone explain wot this is as i know little bout engines. or has anyone else had this problem.

this is the tuning box
http://dieseltuner.co.uk/vp44.html

can anyone help?

hybs

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
hybstheory said:
hey i just purchased a tuning box for my r25 derv but i dont feel any difference in the car at all. i have one of rover rons thingys fitted so i thought it may be that. so tried taken it off but still no difference. i sent a email to the ppl and they sent this back
"Have you tried changing the jumper pin position, (the 4 x black jumpers
on the right) try taking 1 off or 2 from the middle, you can change the
composition to find the program which suits the engine."
can anyone explain wot this is as i know little bout engines. or has anyone else had this problem.

this is the tuning box
http://dieseltuner.co.uk/vp44.html

can anyone help?

hybs
So did Rover Rons tuning box used to make a difference to performance?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well wot i understood was it was somethin the same as a chip or remap for diesels. rons thing works a treat! but the engine seems to run standard with out rons fitted but with the tunnin box fitted.

dont think theyre the same as the box is ment to increase the engine towards 140bhp. lol they had better not be the same thing or id be lookin my mamucha back.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
where are those power claims?

I'd be straight on the blower getting your money back. RR's kit has had high acclaim from the people on here!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I got a tuning box for my pug 406 hdi.It was bought from Rapid tuning and has been on the car for 1 1/2 years.You can feel the difference in performance.The box needs to be set up for your exact engine spec.I also purchased a digital keypad so i can play with the settings.I would go back to the supplier and tell them you are not happy.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You can't fit two tuning boxes like what you are trying to do.

You will be massively overfuleing the engine and could damage it if not careful.

Use one or the other but not both.

You will not get 140 BHP on that engine with just a tuning box, 125 is more realistic. 140 is possible but requires a lot more work (air filter, more boost and a larger intercooler).

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
Rons box for the 25 derv is not a tuning box, it just restores the MAF to how it should be run, without replacing the MAF.

Have you altered the jumper settings yet?

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so accordin to that tread it may not even be the rite box for my car? how dodgey is that? do the vp44 and vp30 have the same connections? as it does fit the connect. MAD where did you get your tunin box from?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Skelo said:
Rons box for the 25 derv is not a tuning box, it just restores the MAF to how it should be run, without replacing the MAF.

Have you altered the jumper settings yet?

Cheers
Skelo
Thanks but I know exactly how Ron's box's work and using the two together will still run the risk of injecting too much fuel.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
i have a tunit box on mine, have it for about 2 years got it remapped there about 2 months ago, really pleased with it. I have a rover ron mafam and have been running the 2 together for about a year seen a small dip in mpg when i had the mafam turned up put not that bad, plus the gains are well worth it. A boost controller is a device that u place in the wastegate hose coming from the turbo to alter boost pressure, its a alternative to adjusting the wastegate. Its lets u run more boost pressure in the turbo which can give more power and torque. Think thats everything covered

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
hybstheory said:
rons thing works a treat! but the engine seems to run standard with out rons fitted but with the tunnin box fitted.

dont think theyre the same as the box is ment to increase the engine towards 140bhp. lol they had better not be the same thing or id be lookin my mamucha back.
They aren't the same and what you've found is exactly what i'd expect.

The mafam is needed to get the most out of any tuning chip, remap, tuning box.
If the maf signal is low, the ecu just doesn't use high enough fuel values.

Most tuning methods take these 'raw' values and increase them by various means.
In this case, the Vp44 tuning box intercepts the Can Bus fuel value data sent from the ecu to the pump.
It then increases these to increase the fuel qty injected and hence boost torque.
So if the orginal values are too low due to the maf signal being low, then the effect of the box is reduced or even cancelled out.

This is why it feels little different without the mafam connected.

Surely, the box does improve the performance at some point in the rev range?
(with mafam connected)

If not, then it may not be compatible with the Vp30 pump or the VP30 in the spec as used on the L series.

Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts