MG-Rover.org Forums banner

TU4 Synergy module

3K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  doublekite 
#1 ·
Hope those of you who went to Beaulieu had a great day!

I am trying to decide on a Rover Ron TU3, TU3a, or TU4 'Synergy' tuning module for my CDT. Can any one help with which choice is best, and is there any benefit (apart from compactness) from having the TU4 over separate TU3a and MAFM units at the same total price?

#2 ·
Hi, I reckon it's really down to personal choice, your cars mileage and what your mafs like. I went for a synergie so that i could just switch in the mafam when the maf started to deteriote (around 30-45k mile according to Rover Ron) rather than buy another box and connecting it up at a later date. That said, even tho my cars only done 19K and the mafam should still be good the difference in performance is incredible :scary: with the mafam switched in, so it must have been deteriorating even tho it was not noticeable. imho Rons a genius and the synergie unit is the absolute best one box solution available.:bgrin:

#3 ·
Ive had my 75 for 6 months, its now done 76,000, I have no history, never driven another, so have nothing to compare it with.
Probably the best bet is to get a synergy and see how I feel about it. Rover Ron offers a money back guarantee if not satisfied anyway.

#12 ·
had my 02 mg zt cdti for about 2 weeks before i ordered a tu4 from Ron
it suffered from poor pick until higher speeds and stalled frequently from setting off at junctions unless it was booted
took me about an hour to fit the unit and the remote switch
i then had a play around to get the right setting
what an improvement
i have had it fitted now for about 4 weeks and havnt looked back
my car is now a pleasure to drive
turbo now cuts in at low revs and now actually feels sporty :eek:)
(you can now red line it if you wanted)
i would recommend the extension switch though,saves you lifting the bonnet every time (you have 3 settings that can be made from inside the car
1. all off 2.economy setting 3. your setting) but these can not be changed while the car is running
once again a Big thanks to Rover Ron for this mod
my advice is get it you wont regret it :eek:)

#14 ·
No one in these continuing threads has mentioned Insurance premium increases, I have a W 75Conn se and although I am with Saga at the moment, I expect that if I had the mods(Roveron) my premium will be far too high to enjoy the car.
Rover 75 fans .. what insurance company do you use if you say mods fitted??..

#15 ·
COMET said:
No one in these continuing threads has mentioned Insurance premium increases, I have a W 75Conn se and although I am with Saga at the moment, I expect that if I had the mods(Roveron) my premium will be far too high to enjoy the car.
It has been mentioned many times before

I have declared a Tuning Box, Navigation mods and Different wheels I am with Admiral their quote was still cheaper than several others with the car in standard trim

Ironicaly it was the Navigation system that added a bit to the premium because of the obscene cost to replace it (if you bought the parts new it would be nearly £4000)!

Not everyone will be telling the insurance companies though and that is their choice and no I am sure they don't need reminding of the consequences.

That is a topic for the general forums not a model specific one such as here

#16 ·
COMET said:
I have a ZT-T 131 the box increased my premiums from £310 to £390. It would be very easy not to declare it, but the implications of having a serious accident and it being found by the loss adjuster and having your insurance cancelled isn't really worth the risk.

I am with Adrian Flux insurance, cheaper than through Confused.com, Insurancesupermarket.com and Tescos even after having the box added.

#17 · (Edited)
Dyno Figures

I eventually made time to take the car back to Star Performance's rolling road.

The results are good, bearing in mind the air temp was quite a bit warmer than when I had it tested in November.

All are correctd engine power toDIN 70020. Air press 1023mbar, air temp 19C.

A) MAF ON TU3 ON SETTING 6 148.5BHP @ 4020 229LBS FT@ 2380.

B) MAF ON TU3 ON SETTING 9 145BHP 229LBS FT

C) MAF ON H TU3 OFF 113BHP @ 3760 192LBS FT @ 2580

D) MAF OFF TU3 OFF 111.5BHP@ 3820 182LBS FT @ 3170

So I'm slightly disappointed at not cracking 150bhp, but on a cooler day it probably would have happened.

On setting 9 there was visible smoke (thouigh not clouds of it) all the way to max revs.
Clearly it was enough to reduce the power slightly, since the highest reading was on setting 6 (med maf, med/high power). There was only a feint sign of smoke on this setting.

Increasing the boost 2-3psi would no doubt clean up the exhaust a bit and crack the 150bhp threshold as it looks like more air is needed even with the intake mod & BMC filter.

I will put the charts on my website asap.

Ron

Spec: Pierburgh maf, Synergy, BMC air filter, cleaned egr valve, intake mod. Shell Extra + Millers DPP, Millers XFG fully synthetic oil. Mileage 100100.

#20 ·
Insurance

Sorry to disagree Keith, but as we are specifically discussing the 75/ZT with TU4. I think it is OK to discuss premiums as we could all benefit from others knowledge.
What do others think?
How can just having the MAFM on affect premiums as it only compensates for a worn part.

#22 ·
COMET said:

Speaking as a 75 owner, I would pay any reasonable increase for the much greater driving enjoyment the extra 36bhp provides.

Put another way, any car with my 75's performance is going to be in a much higher insurance group anyway.

So any increase is not a penalty its 'fair do's'.

Finally, at least with the Tu3 and Synergy, the dosh saved compared to paying for the many higher priced tuning boxes on sale, is more than enough to cover the insurance premium..... so there!

Ron

#23 ·
Rover = :) said:
Hi Ron...great to have the new dyno figures :)

What boost are you on?

Cheers J

Standard boost.
Fuelling was not an issue but more air is needed.

I forgot to add that setting 9 was a special Tu3 map - an extra 'strong' one that I did to make sure there was plenty of fuel available.

Setting 6 was the normal M/H Tu3 setting and the same as setting 7 on the Tu3.

Ron

#24 ·
At last its my time to be the lucky one.
In Holland it makes no difference for the insurance when you have tuned your car. Premiums are only based on the listprice off the car, drivers age and the part off the country where you live.
But don't be mistaken. My car is costing € 1200 a year on roadtax because it is a diesel. A petrol car costs about half off that amount.:twak:

#25 ·
So this was with the assitor spring removed? and you resisted the temptation to pull the compressor to actuator pipe off for one run just to see what 24psi would get you? Hee..hee, I think I might have weakened! :)

Please keep us all updated on how you get on with the electric boost control valve as I would love to get the boost higher in a controlable and safe manner, as you say the uncontrolled 24psi is probably just that 2 or 3 psi too far......however, it was great hoot to use position 10 on the TU4 and 24psi....must have been 160bhp or thereabouts, it certainly felt it! :).....though your thought on a brief allowable overboost and then restrict it back to 20-21psi sounds just the ticket.....

Anyways.....back in the 'real world' of everyday motoring ......I tend to use my TU4 on the special '0' setting as this provides a great everyday drive along with a serious bit of acceleration when needed by simply pressing the right hand pedal that little bit harder......and I can certainly confirm that now after several thousand miles of TU4 usage, no detrimental effects whatsoever have been noted and fuel economy is holding steady at an extra 2mpg meaning the unit will actual recover its initial outlay in roughly 45k.....now that's a bargain given the extra enjoyment each time I drive trhe car....

BR J

#26 ·
MickG said:
Hi Nobby just ordered my synergy box same car and milage as you what settings are you using please
Mick, for good everyday use I use setting 2 with both the maf and TU3 on. this gives just the right level of performance for overtaking etc with confidence and no noticeable drop in economy. left it all switched in on the mot last week and smoke test was fine too. It's worth experimenting each setting with the maf off first and then on until you find the kick you desire. Make sure you've got a good straight bit of road to play with - I nearly ran out on one test run at speed :yikes:- more washing for er indoors!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.