MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i took my 220 for MOT this week and it failed on a low headlamp and what seems to be a common fault the rear calipers.

The guy that does my MOT's is on holiday from tuesday so i said i would change them this weekend so he could re-test on monday and so i started today, everything was going really well until i came to try and actually remove the hand brake cable from the old calipers.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/[URL=htt...44/374/caliperoffarrowsve9.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The two problems i have encountered are:

1. Removing the two bolt's that connect the bracket that the HB cable runs through to the caliper itself (thought they were 13's but seem to be 12's but regardless of socket/spanner size they have rounded off).

and

2. The pin that attaches the end of the cable to the spring mechanism that works the hand brake just won't come out (i have removed the little metal thing that goes through it).

It's driving me nuts as the rest of the job is really simple as long as you do it in the correct order.

So couple of questions, that pin that holds the end of the cable in place does it just push through or does it screw in as it seems to have a very shallow groove on the top and can i get hold of that bracket anywhere as i just dont think i will be able to get those nuts off now.

Any help and advice would be grately apreciated.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Grabbing the bolts with a pair of mole grips will do the trick, as will the seized clevis pin.

Did you use a 6 point or 12 point socket on the bolts?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah right so the pin should just push out and is just being stubborn, ok will go and douse in wd cheers for the advice.

:)

Oh and it was 12 point sockets.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
If you had used 6 point sockets the bolts would be fine. Get yourself a small set - about £23

I don't generally use 12 point ones.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ah right so the pin should just push out and is just being stubborn, ok will go and douse in wd cheers for the advice.

:)

Oh and it was 12 point sockets.
I found that the pin was ever so slightly tapered, and therefore quite a tight fit.
I got them out eventually...small-ish socket over the top, and pressed out with mole grips.

Robin

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after throwing my toy's out of the pram, i sprayed the parts with wd40 and left them for a couple of hours. When i returned i used 6 sided sockets and got the bolts off and also with some leavering the pin's out. Yay :)

So after following the instruction in the boxes i now have two shiney new calipers on the back of the car, however i now have a new problem...although i bled the system carefuly i think there might be air still in it as it takes a couple of pumps of the brake pedal to get full bite. (it didn't do this before)

Am i right in thinking it could still be air in the system or should i be looking else where?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Vacuum bleed...
Coffee jar, long length of hose to the inlet manifold, short length to the bleed nipple. Idle the engine, open nipple (fnaar) and it'll suck the air/fluid mixture from the caliper.

Worked a treat for me!

Robin

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Well after throwing my toy's out of the pram, i sprayed the parts with wd40 and left them for a couple of hours. When i returned i used 6 sided sockets and got the bolts off and also with some leavering the pin's out. Yay :)

So after following the instruction in the boxes i now have two shiney new calipers on the back of the car, however i now have a new problem...although i bled the system carefuly i think there might be air still in it as it takes a couple of pumps of the brake pedal to get full bite. (it didn't do this before)

Am i right in thinking it could still be air in the system or should i be looking else where?
Did you fit new pads?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well after bleeding the brakes properly this lunchtime like i should have done yesterday :slap: all is well and the car now has a full MOT.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts