MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've been looking on the forums, but can't see anything about this, so thought I'd ask.

Does anyone know what aftermarket brake discs (preferably drilled) are avaiable for the AP calipers fitted to the Trophy and 160s.

The only ones I've managed to find are the EBC ones, but these have grooves and dimples, which I don't really like the look of. I was really after proper drilled for more of a race car look.

Thanks

Rich
Anthracite Trophy

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
As far as I know AP and MG have got this sown up. If you've got the four pot callipers and you need new 304mm rotors (discs) then you better start saving up or take out a bank loan - they are BL00DY EXPENSIVE.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Rich

I looked into the same thing fairly extensively recently and my findings were that there are basically no aftermarket discs available for the MGF Trophy or TF160. None of the maufacturers (AP Racing, EBC, Black Diamond etc...) I approached could (would?) supply 304mm discs as a direct fitment to the F/TF.

MGF Centre will supply secondhand ones for about £220, or you can get new ones from MGR for about £300!!!
:eek:mg:
If you find anything different, please let us know!!

Ian

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

I've looked back on EBCs website, thinking maybe I'd miss read it, but it does have discs listed for the front of the MGF Trophy and the TF 160, both with same part number, GD1176 (grooved and drilled). These are stated as being 304mm in size.

I saw them for sale on www.brakes4u.co.uk at £72.50 each, but out of stock, maybe AP have released the rights for other people to make them, if they didn't sell them before.

The only thing is I don't like the look of the EBC discs.

Just out of interest, as I'm sure I've seen pictures of TFs with drilled disks, if a TF has the red callilers, as fitted to the trophy and 160, does this mean they have the 304mm discs, or can these caplipers be fitted to something with different discs if its a conversion?

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I saw the GD1176s on the brakes4u website too, and even placed an order. However, I got a mail back from them the next day saying that EBC didn't have any in stock and wouldn't have for the foreseeable future.

I also spoke to ebcbrakesdirect.com who were also advertising them, and they told me that EBC had intended to offer these dicscs, but MGR had refused to release the tooling equipment specs...

I've seen photos of a TF in TotalMG with the AP callipers and drilled discs, but haven't been able to find out where the owner got them or who makes them...

·
Registered
29 Posts
discs

matho said:
I saw the GD1176s on the brakes4u website too, and even placed an order. However, I got a mail back from them the next day saying that EBC didn't have any in stock and wouldn't have for the foreseeable future.

I also spoke to ebcbrakesdirect.com who were also advertising them, and they told me that EBC had intended to offer these dicscs, but MGR had refused to release the tooling equipment specs...

I've seen photos of a TF in TotalMG with the AP callipers and drilled discs, but haven't been able to find out where the owner got them or who makes them...
Ive just found out these should be in stock from www.brakes4u.co.uk as from next week so fingers crossed i have emailed them and they are making a list of people who want them as this will be a first come first serve basis as they are limited and brakes4u are looking at taking all the stock from EBC

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Although drilled discs may look 'racey', grooved discs are the way to go. Drilled discs suffer from cracking around the holes and seem to suffer from warping too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
discs

this only happens when drilled all the way through not dimpled as i know from personal experience..............

cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts