MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking through several websites and making enough phone calls to be charged enough to clear the entire third-world debt I have come to the conclusion that I need a tracker on my 180 when I get it. Insurance companies want about another £2-400 without a tracker. I was looking at the RAC Tracstar Plus which is £299 on there site, then I would need fitting and of course the subscription. But I think that it will pay for itself within 2 years.

So basically my question is whats the best tracker, where's the best places to get them from, and is there anyone out there that can tell me about there's, if they have one.

My dream of owning a ZS 180 gets that little bit closer everyday.

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,322 Posts
Try the insurance factory they were 200 quid cheaper than my next closest quote and they never even asked about a tracker on my 180.

IVAN

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
There are lots of different types of tracker around. I'll do some research for you and let you know.

I know there are a couple of units around which you don't need to pay an annual subscription, which may suit you better. There are also some superb ones which actually text your phone when the car is being tampered with and you can control the response from your mobile phone! i.e. you can shut down the car, lock the doors, set off the alarm, set it as a homing beacon for an Iranian nuclear missile, whatever you want...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Tesco insisted on a Tracker for my ZT. I didn't argue as they were half the price I could get from anyone else (saving at least £1000!), so the car ended up getting a Tracker Monitor. Instead of an annual subscription I paid a one-off charge as hopefully the car will be staying with me for a long time. Hopefully I'll never need to call to report it stolen, but it does give extra peace of mind. :)

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,322 Posts
You saved a thousand pounds! :eek:mg: My 180 only cost me 465 pounds fully comp with full pncd. Glad I have a clean license.

IVAN

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
i had a tracker fited to my 04 160 as insurance wanted it, cost £299 to fit, and £92 a year subsrciption, just bought a 05 zr160 facelift, insurance do not require a tracker for this model, phoned tracker to ask if i could remove the device, and they said no it has to stay with the car :devil: but i am just in the process of getting a refund on this years subscription. so perhaps you should try getting a tracker that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, please let us know how you get on. :2c:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
boxwellm said:
There are lots of different types of tracker around. I'll do some research for you and let you know.

I know there are a couple of units around which you don't need to pay an annual subscription, which may suit you better. There are also some superb ones which actually text your phone when the car is being tampered with and you can control the response from your mobile phone! i.e. you can shut down the car, lock the doors, set off the alarm, set it as a homing beacon for an Iranian nuclear missile, whatever you want...
Wow that sounds amazing, bet it costs a pretty penny as well!

I would really appreciate any help you can give me, I have searched the net but haven't found much informaiton at all regarding trackers.

I am 23, 24 soon, and have 3 years NCB and really need a new car, I am halfway through another NCB but I have seen some really good deals on the 180 popping up so want to take advantage now. What makes it annoying is the insurance company won't insure me on it until I am 25, so I am going with some others. I got a qoute from Admiral at £1210 for 1 year without the tracker and my 3 NCB. I then did a few others and got Churchil down to £840 with a tracker with the same details.

So if I can get one cheap enough it would make financial sense and give me an extra security option.

One question though, why does the MG require a tracker but my friend who is exactly the same as me, just 4 days older and with the same NCB, insured a Civic Type R without a tracker on all the same insurers that wouldn't look at me without a tracker. Is the 180 easy to break into or something?

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have a MY04 ZS180 and I am insured with Elephant (780 quid full comp 1Yr NCB) I am 23 (now) was 22 when the policy started, I didn't need a tracker.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
You can make your own rudimentary tracker if you want. It'll cost you around £15 plus an old GSM mobile phone. That said, it won't be particularly accurate - especially out of town.

That said, by this summer you'll be able to make yourself your own tracker for £30 which will be as accurate as anything you can get in the shops and will cost you less than 20p per month to run.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
DTWD said:
One question though, why does the MG require a tracker but my friend who is exactly the same as me, just 4 days older and with the same NCB, insured a Civic Type R without a tracker on all the same insurers that wouldn't look at me without a tracker. Is the 180 easy to break into or something?
LISTEN CLOSELY!!!!!

There is a great deal of confusion with insurance companies and the ZS, unless you have one of the very early models (51-02 plate) you do NOT need a tracker, often with those companies that say you do!

I got my 54 plate ZS180 in December and Tesco (who I had just moved over to a month earlier from Elephant) said I had to have a tracker. I explained that the car has been Cat1 security for years now but they didn't take any notice. After phoning three different people at Tesco I finally got through to someone who noticed that there are *two* entries in the list for the ZS and one doesn't require a tracker! Even the online quote didn't pick this up, Tesco website said I needed a tracker too.

End result, I'm insured with Tesco and no tracker. This advice applies to Direct Line and plenty others as they are all underwritten by the same company - UK Insurance.

Are you buying a used ZS or new?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
parsec said:
Are you buying a used ZS or new?
A used ZS, about 01/02 I think. Not sure yet, like I said, still looking.

So was the older ZS a higher risk then? Did they change the alarm or something? If they changed the alarm can I put a better one in and not need a tracker?

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Northerner said:
yes they did, froma Cat 2 to a Cat 1 alarm (which lowered theinsurance group 1 place too I believe)
Interesting.

So if I put a cat 1 alarm in it wouldn't lower the insurance group would it?

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
boxwellm said:
You can make your own rudimentary tracker if you want. It'll cost you around £15 plus an old GSM mobile phone. That said, it won't be particularly accurate - especially out of town.

That said, by this summer you'll be able to make yourself your own tracker for £30 which will be as accurate as anything you can get in the shops and will cost you less than 20p per month to run.
Do explain, quite interesting this.

I take it these won't be anything insurers will look on as an insurance dropper?

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
942 Posts
DTWD said:
Interesting.

Regards
Paul
Well apparently...it does, improved security means a car is likely to be nicked....hence a lower group, it isn't all to do with crashes!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Ok - you want to build a low cost tracker for your car. Here is what you do. You use an old mobile phone as a location device. Right now it isn't massively accurate, but it will normally locate your car to within a mile or so, most of the time, and to the nearest street in a highly built up area.

The technology is getting better and better all the time; by the summer, the system will be accurate enough to be able to locate your vehicle accurately where ever you have mobile phone coverage. I am working with a company at the moment who will have such a system up and running in the next few months.

The very simpliest way to do this is to get an old mobile phone you don't use, get a pay as you go SIM card for it (available free when you upgrade your phone, on request), wire in a car charger to the car so the phone can always get power, and leave the phone hidden in the glove compartment. You'll need to make at least one phone call a month to make sure the phone doesn't get disconnected, but thats all.

You can get a bit cleverer than this and build a waterproof box to hide under the bonnet which consists of an old mobile phone, power cables connecting to the car battery and an external speaker - get the loudest one you can find. Then when you get close to your car, you can dial the number of your car phone and locate the ring.

The clever bit is the tracking technology. The cheapest system out there at the moment is from a company called Follow Us. They offer a fairly basic service, but it does work and it is cheap. I used it yesterday when my wife got lost diving through Birmingham to find out what road she was on and give her directions over the phone. Easy. Unfortunately, it is not that accurate everywhere - out in the sticks where my parents live, it is accurate to the nearest mile or so, and of course it won't work where you don't have mobile phone coverage.

To use the follow us system, you register on their web site and buy a number of credits. Buy £10 worth to start off with. You then register the phones you want to track and an SMS message goes to the phones you are trying to register. You then respond to this message and a few minutes later you can start tracking them.

Every so often, a text message gets sent to the phones at random to let the user know they can be tracked. This is a legal requirement and cannot be overridden.

The cost to track a phone in this way is 30p for every time you request a location position.

If you are interested, you can find out more and register for the system from here:
http://www.whattracker.com/shop_product_detail.php?P_ID=1

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
My ZR TD needs a tracker to be insured by Tesco or Directline.... they're numpties... go elsewhere is my advise....

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
DTWD said:
Interesting.

Regards
Paul
I wouldn't have thought it would actually, whether a car requires a tracker is not dependant on the insurance group. The ZS has always been group 16 regardless of the alarm being cat1 or cat2. There are plenty of group 16 cars that don't need a tracker.

It might be worth you looking at the cost of going for a 03 plate ZS, I know the car will cost more but it could cost you less in the long run depending on how long you keep the car as you won't need a tracker (although like I said above some places will still mistakenly say you do!).

Alternatively go to Admiral or Elephant (same company) for insurance they'll not need you to fit a tracker. There are prob others too.

·
Registered
942 Posts
The ZS, changed insurance group when it was face lifted, and I thought it was 15 to 14, but it may have been 16 to 15, if definately changed! Due to it being factory fitted.

As and after market add on the cat 1 alarm won't change the insurance group, but may reduce your premium.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts