·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOYOTA MR2 ROADSTER TF300: IT’S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Sports car marks its place in history with numbered special edition
KEY POINTS

* Final 300 MR2 Roadsters for the UK to be sold as TF300 special editions
* Each model individually numbered in sequence down to the last to leave the production line
* Specification includes custom leather and Alcantara upholstery and twin sports exhaust
* Dedicated vehicle number individually stitched into each seatback
* On-the-road price £18,015

The Toyota MR2 Roadster has been the purest expression of Toyota’s sporting spirit through 22 years and three generations. This summer marks the end of the line for this remarkable model, which remains one of the finest-handling and fun-to-drive cars in its class.

To celebrate its special character and performance, Toyota is presenting the last 300 examples to be built for the UK market as a special edition, the TF300. Each will be built to customer order, with its position in the production run individually stitched into the back of each seat and authenticated by a special certificate, signed by the chairman of Toyota (GB) PLC, Shimpei Kobayashi.

Buyers keen to get a specific number – 123, 007 or 222 for example – should get in touch with their local Toyota dealer as soon as possible to place a deposit.

The TF300 features custom leather and Alcantara suede-effect upholstery. Crystal Silver, Astral Black and Sable body colours are available with red leather and Chilli Red and Lagoon Blue with grey leather interior. An extra dash of sports style is provided by smart twin stainless steel TTE sports exhaust pipes.

Key features include electric door mirrors and windows, a leather-trimmed steering wheel and gear knob, retractable soft-top with heated glass rear window, wind deflector, alloy wheels and a Thatcham Category 1 alarm.

Equipped with a mid-mounted 138bhp 1.8-litre engine, the lightweight and perfectly balanced rear-wheel drive MR2 TF300 accelerates from nought to 62mph in eight seconds and has a top speed of 131mph. Combined cycle fuel consumption is 38.2mpg and carbon dioxide emissions are rated at 178g/km.

The Toyota MR2 TF300 is available to order now, priced £18,015 on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
2,261 Posts
Ironic its called the TF .
I'm sure Mazda are jumping through hoops now the 2 main competitors to the MX-5 are now out of production .

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
breaks in to famous song .
""its the final countdown..................""
sorry couldn't resist
the way things are goimg the tf will have a good chance of success when its relaunched if there's only one competitor!!!
some of the colour combinations on this dont sound very nice!!!!
might be better in real life??

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Never really got the point of the MR2...

The top spec model is down 30BHP on the top spec TF 160;

The interior makes the TF's look sexy;

The TF is more practical as an every day car;

The TF is around the same price;

The TF looks better.

The only think I can say the Toyota wins on it reliability, but you have to sacrifice a hell of a lot...

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
Since when did this happen? (the end of the MR2?) I never knew of an announcement by Toyota?
its been known for about a year or so
same with the current previa there is a new version in japan but europe isn't getting it!!

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
The current MR2 has been distinctly average, the name has been around for 21 years, you'd have thought Toyota would have made a good one in a convertible/roadster market ever expanding in most cases.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,315 Posts
Liam Olf said:
The only think I can say the Toyota wins on it reliability...
Toyota can’t even clam that with the infamous MR2 self-detonating engines, still have bits of MR2 conrod imbedded in my front bumper after one exploded in front of my car last summer. Made a HGF look trivial.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The seem to be justifying it by saying that the TF part is an abbreviation of 'The Final' 300.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
i used to think mr2s were nice then i looked at an mr2 whilst looking at convertables. infact i liked them more than tfs, then i went and sat in one!

im so glad i decided on the tf in the end!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
It's a shame Toyota are getting out of sportscars and possibly a mistake. FIAT did the same thing and look what happened to their image.

The MR2 is a good car but I actually prefer the Celica. I've been driving a Celica this last week and it is a surprising car - far more of a genuine sportscar than you'd think.

I suspect in the long run there will be some Lexus badged sportscars to make up for the Toyota loss.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts