MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse my ignorance but...
Does the tourer have significantly stiffer suspension than the saloon?

I have a 2004 tourer with 16" alloys. I was wondering what I was missing in terms of ride quality compared to a saloon on original 15" wheels.

I've always thought the ride was very good but someone commented the other day that they thought the ride was a bit hard.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
36 Posts
I`ve got a Tourer in Contemporary Se finish and it also seems harder than the saloons I`ve test driven. I`ve even wondered if the previous owned opted for the sports suspension option but maybe its just the star wheels and tyres

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
When the tourer was launched journalists reported that it felt firmer, with tighter body control. Whether this was because springs/dampers were uprated to cope with additional loads or MGR decided to tighten things up I'm not sure. I seem to recall MGR were a little coy on the subject at the time. Either way, I think it is generally recognised that tourer's ride a bit more firmly than saloons.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The tourer definately has higher rear spring rates than the saloon, and damping rates increased to match the springs.

The self levelling units are the normal Boge Nivomats which have a substantially larger body diameter than the normal damper units, coupled with lighter springs. The levelling action is fairly obvious if you have a reasonable load on board and drive for a couple of miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But is there some identification on the vehicle anywhere to show it has sports suspension?
Was sports suspension even an option on the tourer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
basher said:
Was sports suspension even an option on the tourer?
When I ordered my tourer in 2002 the only options available were self-levelling suspension and traction control; both at £350 per option. This may have changed with the later models but I would doubt it when the ZT was readily available if you wanted a harder sport ride.

According to some sales blurb I've got from the time, the suspension design was increased to cope with the additional loads and the body strengthened and stiffened to give saloon car road handling and cornering characteristics irrespective of load carried rather than the wallowing experienced with most normal estate cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts