MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got me the MG Rover touch up kit to suit my car Zircon silver 75.

Comes in two bits, a pot of the silver and a pot of lacquer.

I never did this before so could someone tell me in simple terms (imagine you are talking to a child) just how to go about touching up a few paint chips on the car? Do I need to go and get any extra stuff? (I'm thinking abrasives etc.)

Thanks in advance folks

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
Don't use the brush. Use a needle or bodking or similar. Get a good blob of paint on it, hold over the chip and let the paint flow into and fill the chip. Allow to dry overnight and then see by the dried colour whether you need to put the lacquer on top. If yes then use the same method. If it all dries slightly proud then use a good polish to rub it down-not an abrasive like T Cut!.

hth

Mike :)

·
Registered
rover_75
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MikeM said:
Don't use the brush. Use a needle or bodking or similar. Get a good blob of paint on it, hold over the chip and let the paint flow into and fill the chip. Allow to dry overnight and then see by the dried colour whether you need to put the lacquer on top. If yes then use the same method. If it all dries slightly proud then use a good polish to rub it down-not an abrasive like T Cut!.

hth

Mike :)
What is a Bodking?

also which polish do you recommend to rub it flat with?

Steve

·
Registered
153 Posts
knight_templar said:
What is a Bodking?

A bodkin is a kind of needle with a large eye and a blunt point, for drawing tape, ribbon, etc., through a loop or a hem; a tape needle or a kind of pin used by women to fasten the hair.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
knight_templar said:
What is a Bodking?

also which polish do you recommend to rub it flat with?

Steve
:lol: I meant Bodkin-like a sewing needle but bigger and blunt for sewing wool together.

Polish? I use AutoGlym super resin polish

Mike

·
Registered
mg_tf
2,364 Posts
MikeM said:
:lol: I meant Bodkin-like a sewing needle but bigger and blunt for sewing wool together.

Polish? I use AutoGlym super resin polish

Mike
just asked the wife she says its called a darning needle i thought a bodkin was a middle age arrow head

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
smokie999 said:
just asked the wife she says its called a darning needle i thought a bodkin was a middle age arrow head
Yes but you are from Leeds. In Manchester (aka God's country) it's called a bodkin ;)

Anyway whatever it's called that's what you use:taz:

:lol:

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Halfords touch up kits come with a special end on them which is a very fine piece of nylon instead of a brush.
I don't usually use the paint I just put a tiny blob of laquer over the chip to stop the rust as it's usually less visible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts