MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much is too much? My car is parked on a very slight slope and the oil is above the dipsick by 5mm, even on a flat it would be over. How much is too excessive before it causes problems??

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
How much is too much? My car is parked on a very slight slope and the oil is above the dipsick by 5mm, even on a flat it would be over. How much is too excessive before it causes problems??
Anything over the maximum mark can cause problems eventually, thats why its called "maximum" !! Drain a drop out to be sure.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
After my last service - at an XPower outlet - I found that my sump had been way over-filled; the oil was well over the max mark on the dipstick. The head mechanic told me glibly that there was nothing to worry about! I drained about three quarters of a litre from the sump to get the level down to the max mark. Won't be going there again.

Nigel

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Very common story Nigel, many people have the same story to tell. :)

I reckon I remember someone saying on the service documents somewhere it saiys 4.5 litres, people take that as gospel, when it really doesn't need quite that much..

Unless I think that's what it was, otherwise i've just made up a good story! :lol:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So even the "pros" get it wrong then, i guess i know what i'm doing tomorrow then. I think its around 1/4 litre too much

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Sorry for butting in but can somone verify what part of the dipstick is actually the maximum mark (anyone got a photo?). I can't quite make out whether it is the bobble on the end as it goes into the metal length upto the handle, or is it the hatched markings in the middle of the measuring tip?

Sorry for babling but i can't explain it, any help anyone?

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Is there no dimples or anything.

I could ask my OH tongiht as she has a bubble , but I am sure she also has a mahoosive bit of yellow plastic

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
If it's the metal stick with plastic end then the max mark is the top of the hatched pattern.
No point in measuring the oil on a slope as this can make all the difference. Needs to be done stone cold on a flat surface.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you just forget about the metal shaft at the mo and think of the plastic(?) end piece, it has a dimple on either end and in the middle is a hatched rectangle, so not sure which bit is the min and max if you get my drift?

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Actually I was wronmg, my OH has the plastic one, mine is indeed metal with a pladstic part at the end. the max is the top of the hatched plastic bit

Oops, think Ashy just beat me there lol

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Wow thanks Ashy, you posted just before i did. If this is the case then mine is filled abit too much and would maybe explain why i have a slight oil leak? So that top dimple doesn't mean anything, and it's the top line of the hatched marking?

Cheers.

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
OK, my OH yellow palstic one has a hatched area, as ashy said.

Mine is metal (with yellow "handle") with a plastic blob on the end. The top hole in the dipstick (or dimple) says MAX ABOVE it

I took a pic but my screen doesnt work on my camera due to dropping it downa a toilet last night, so I missed off the max bit but you can see the min bit:lol:

Its holes rather than dimples, so it loks like we may have differnet sticks perhaps

Attachments

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Over filling is bad yes. If its over filled then the crank/bottom end can "whip" the oil into a froth as it dips into it and then the engine is trying to pump frothy oil around.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
OK, my OH yellow palstic one has a hatched area, as ashy said.

Mine is metal (with yellow "handle") with a plastic blob on the end. The top hole in the dipstick (or dimple) says MAX ABOVE it

I took a pic but my screen doesnt work on my camera due to dropping it downa a toilet last night, so I missed off the max bit but you can see the min bit:lol:

Its holes rather than dimples, so it loks like we may have differnet sticks perhaps
Yep, mine looks completely different to yours as it has no written markings on it at all. Thanks for looking and shall see about letting some excess oil out asap. I will go with the top line of the hatched markings as the max line.

Thanks again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts