MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone noticed that ebay is currently awash with these??
Thats a whole heap of used MGF and TF owners out there that didn't get one with their car when they got it....... Course it might just be me being cynical, but seems pretty mean spirited to not include something with the car that was present when you bought it :lol:

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I've noticed that there has been shed loads on flea bay too!

Which is a pain in the rectum seeing as I'm trying to sell mine at present. Doesn't fit my glass screened hood.

(Cue Curgy with his masterful technique of sitting on the hood whilst someone else rushes round fixing it in place before it pings and sends him into orbit! :D)

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
krisxf said:
I've noticed that there has been shed loads on flea bay too!

Which is a pain in the rectum seeing as I'm trying to sell mine at present. Doesn't fit my glass screened hood.

(Cue Curgy with his masterful technique of sitting on the hood whilst someone else rushes round fixing it in place before it pings and sends him into orbit! :D)
You got a laugh out of it didn't you? :)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
The one I bought is a leathertte one from a girl at work who got it free with a boot rack for her f. Its a little tight, but not much, the awkward bit is the MS Boxer hoops, as the windstop is right by the studs, and its a bit of a sqeeze. IIRC there is a sportster cover available though?

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
For people of a certain age and above there is some confusion. A 'tonneau' cover not only covers the folded hood but also the cockpit area either completely or passenger side only if the car is being driven. I think the cover referred to in this thread is a 'hood' cover which as the name suggests only covers the folded hood. Perhaps some of my kindred older members could confirm this.

David

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
lancsman said:
For people of a certain age and above there is some confusion. A 'tonneau' cover not only covers the folded hood but also the cockpit area either completely or passenger side only if the car is being driven. I think the cover referred to in this thread is a 'hood' cover which as the name suggests only covers the folded hood. Perhaps some of my kindred older members could confirm this.

David
confirmed kindred older member ;), youngsters eh :shake:

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,040 Posts
lancsman said:

David
The hood cover could also be referred to as a half tonneau.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Yep! The thing on about here is a hood cover or half tonneau. I'm only young too! Well does 27 count as young?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hood cover = half tonneau or hood stowage cover

Full tonneau. Seen on Rimmers site and MG shop but not on car in the flesh. If anything like older cars MGB etc, it needs fixings/studs along door tops and on dash.... I wouldn't drill in my doors !

I have a black hood cover and Have just purchased a Smokestone off Ebay

I have a left hand drive canvas ( no headrests ) MGB full tonneau for sale if anybody interested.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm new to MGF's, just bought mine a week ago. It didn't come with a hood cover and I'm on the look out for the winter to neaten up my back window when the hard top is on.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,040 Posts
A MK11 hood cover will not fit without modification under the HT. The MK1 hood cover that doesn’t have the flap that goes under the boot lid maybe a better bet.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
19,225 Posts
i can never be bothered with the cover anyway, far too much fiddling!!

Drop and go i always say!

A

·
0 Posts
John said:
i can never be bothered with the cover anyway, far too much fiddling!!

Drop and go i always say!
I'm with you there, hun....drop and go and no fiddling.......best way to be!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,040 Posts
They are good if the hood is going to be down for a long time and/or your going to go down the motorway as it stops the hood bouncing around and cuts wind noise down.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
19,225 Posts
Andie B said:
I'm with you there, hun....drop and go and no fiddling.......best way to be!

dont get me wrong i like fiddling! just not with the car, more in the bedroom ;)

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Chris T said:
A MK11 hood cover will not fit without modification under the HT. The MK1 hood cover that doesn’t have the flap that goes under the boot lid maybe a better bet.

...still don't think it work Chris without some serious chopping and cutting about around the brackets even on a Mk1 cover

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Chris T said:
Probably better off making a cover from scratch.

...We have an MS (i think sunmate) which tidys things up a bit in winter, just protects the rear screen when hood is down... but as its black and leatherette kind of stuff it looks ok

A

·
0 Posts
Chris T said:
They are good if the hood is going to be down for a long time and/or your going to go down the motorway as it stops the hood bouncing around and cuts wind noise down.
Chris, I hadn't realised that a tonneau (half or otherwise!) cuts down noise. I do like seeing things neater but guess I always preferred the drop and go option. How long does it take to fit the tonneau on? Do they fit with the B&G type mesh windstop? I have always been a little worried about 'boot-lift' problems - how likely is that to happen?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts