MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do tonneau covers cover please, do they just cover the area where the roof is folded down or the whole cockpit area.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but just trying to get my head around if it is worth getting one what is their point.
Thanks a lot
Rob

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
No such thing as a stupid question :)

They cover the roof when its folded down. :) They just make the car look more tidy

IMO They're only worth it if you absolutely HAVE to have your car look 100% perfect.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,182 Posts
A tonneau cover, covers the whole cockpit area and a half-tonneau covers just the folded hood.

However many people incorrectly call a half-tonneau a tonneau.

They are a bit of pain to fit for short trips but for longer trips and motorways they can stop damage to the hood due to hood bounce, and in many EU country's they are mandatory.

·
Registered
mgf
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess these to be be removed and put back on when the top is dropped , you can't leave them in place all the time, even the half one. I realise the full one couldn't....not that stupid!

Cheers Guys

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Hood cover fitting

I know that this must have been asnwered somewhere but please advise....I have an 02 MGTF and have bought a hood cover (without the boot lid bit). Will it fit my car? I understand that it is a hard design to use anyway but does it fit? the studs appear to be different on the door shuts as well - are there replacements?

Any help welcomed pleese!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,182 Posts
:welcome:

I would be tempted to re-sell the one you have and buy a MK2 one instead of trying to change the fixtures and fixings on the car. However if you need new bits then try Rimmer Bros or Brown & Gammons

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
:welcome:

I would be tempted to re-sell the one you have and buy a MK2 one instead of trying to change the fixtures and fixings on the car. However if you need new bits then try Rimmer Bros or Brown & Gammons
Thanks Chris. I have routed the question back through eBay to the seller - it was advertised as MGTF suitable. Still £50 + P&P if anyone's interested?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
It sounds like the early MGF type!

This one looks like it wouldn't fit an MGF either!
That looks like an early MGF one to me...same as GeorgeI has. They are trickier to put on than the ones with the boot flap and don't fit the later cars as the fittings on the T-bar are different. These fittings are easily changed though...the studs by the doors are the same (just compared GeorgeI with GeorgeII!), it's just the ones on the T-bar that need changing :D

·
Registered
mgf
239 Posts
A tonneau cover, covers the whole cockpit area and a half-tonneau covers just the folded hood.

However many people incorrectly call a half-tonneau a tonneau.

They are a bit of pain to fit for short trips but for longer trips and motorways they can stop damage to the hood due to hood bounce, and in many EU country's they are mandatory.

Actually they are called hood envelopes and tonneaus (full cockpit cover)

·
Banned
7,851 Posts
Thanks Chris. I have routed the question back through eBay to the seller - it was advertised as MGTF suitable. Still £50 + P&P if anyone's interested?

The easy solution is to return it as not sold as advertised and demand a refund.;) The goods are not as described, being unsuitable for a TF.:)

Then spend your pennies on the right type.:)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I counted too many press stud's, the mk1 only had 3!
Good spot...I wasn't looking that closely!! You're right they do only have 3 studs :broon:

If it was this one I think it would best fit an MX-5
dunno...but DEF not for an MGF/TF :shake:

The easy solution is to return it as not sold as advertised and demand a refund.;) The goods are not as described, being unsuitable for a TF.:)

Then spend your pennies on the right type.:)
Absolutely!! Oh and ask for photos of the underside too...some are quite grotty and leave bits all over the hood...as tho the foam has disintegrated over time ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts