MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well following my detail of stevedx's ZS, Matt asked me if I'd take a look at his FDH coupe next time I was in the Westcountry visiting my folks. Well today was the day.

Here are a few befores...

Heres a few of the damage to be dealt with

Lifeless oxidised paint:

Swirls and holograms:

Fortunately Matt had washed and clayed it in preparation for my arrival so we immediately set about taping the car up, and removed the rear wing and rub strips

While I tried pad and product combos Matt applied some Poorboys Wheel Sealant to the alloys. Sadly this photo doesn't show how much the flake in the alloy paint came alive, but here's a photo all the same

For the majority of the car I used an LC orange light cut pad, with Menzerna IP and the slow-cut technique. These 50:50 shots show the improvement on the boot...

The bonnet proved to be very stubborn, as did a few other areas of the car. These areas required Menzerna PG and a cutting pad and even then there were still marks remaining, but given the time I had available it was a vast improvement. The PG left micromarring that was removed using Menzerna FPII. The oxidised paint on the black strip across the top of the windscreen was treated with the same method:

With the polishing over a coat of Menzerna FMJ was applied and this was followed by a coat of Pinnacle Souveran wax. The trim was treated to Einszett Vinyl Gel and the windows AG Fast Glass. Here's the finished article

And a few parting reflection shots

The money shot ;)

As a little aside I must thank Matt for servicing my car for me while I took care of his car. I was planning to do the service myself on Monday, but since he offered I didn't refuse!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Excellent results there! Some nice reflection shots, and those 50:50 shots are very impressive. Good work:broon:.

Rich.

·
Registered
44 Posts
cant believe the difference on that reflection shot and the pic of the boot.

great work.i just wish i could get mine anything like that:O

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
the shine blinded me when I went outside this morning! :lol:

went out and took some scenic photos today, before it rains:

and back at home

:bgrin:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
gorgeous finish! I'm :jealous:

what marks were left? was there any flake pop after the pinnacle went on? I've noticed everything I use really dull's it :(

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

what marks were left? was there any flake pop after the pinnacle went on? I've noticed everything I use really dull's it :(
Mainly the random scratches in general were left with the IP, would have been nice to see what 'Shirley' could have achieved, an upcoming purchase me thinks ;) The bonnet seemed to have harder paint than elsewhere, making me think it may have had a blow over at some point. Would need a PTG to confirm that though! The bonnet was the most disappointing panel from my point of view, there was still some swirling, but a vast improvment as I already mentioned. I think the rotary is beckoning!

As for the flake, I seem to remember it being quite prominent when the light caught it right but I couldn't really get any shots of the flake at the end, my camera really isn't that good at the real close ups like that :( Matt will probably be able to confirm how the flake looked, I was more concerned with the swirls!

Oh and you are correct, that is a 50:50 mix of LT. The gallon refill I've just received is in the boot :)

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Very nice.

You got any family in Norfolk to visit? :lol:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts

it was definately sexy flakeage, although it was getting lower in light as we finished, but the sun was out today and it was sparkling :D

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
18,048 Posts
tell me about it, you should've seen what Tom carries around in his boot!

I have a tasty shopping list for payday :broon:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can't see your pics Emps!

Believe it or not thats the first time I've seen Souveran beading! When I did my car with it, within a matter of hours it was covered in pollen so the water wouldn't bead properly when it last tried to rain.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts