MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After plumping for an Xpart garage and paying 250 for what is only a small service, the garage now inform me that the brakes are all completely worn and need new disks, and are asking for 450 all in for this, and a few other bits.

I also asked him if he could investigate a mystery oil leak I have been having, he says he thinks it is from the housing where the dipstick would be, and will fix it for 65 quid all in.

To be honest, it had is full 60k service in August and has only done less than 10k miles since, so this all sounds fishy to me.......

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, new discs and pads will be 413, is that a fair price?

If they need doing, they need doing. but that seems awful steep........

I really don't trust garages one little bit.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,997 Posts
The OEM AP brake disks and pads are very-very expensive, there are alternatives that are cheaper.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well he said these were after market brakes, and oem. and did say that oem would be dearer.

but this is a hell of a price, isn't it?

Would I not be better off getting some performance disk's and pads and taking it to the local kwik fit? surely that would be cheaper, or at least a similar price??

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so would i be better off purchasing elsewhere, cause that seems quite alot for just some standard aftermarket brakes disks/pads? Or is that a fair price?

I need to pick it up in about 30 minutes so any quick advice so im armed with info would be most appreciated.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,997 Posts
From Brakes4u you are looking at around £240 for EBS disks and pads on all four corners, then what ever it would cost to fit so depending on the cost of labour the quoted price looks like it could be about right.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really???

Ouch!

Ah well...Cheers for the info Chris.

Seeing as they are going to need doing anyway, and in for a penny in for a pound and all that, would it be worth my while to get some performance ones put on?

I also need to think tyres too apparently, the Toyo's are supposed to be good and cheap aren't they?

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
I spent £275 on my fronts discs and pads (I have APs too). £413 is a huge amount. Can you not have a bash yourself?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probaly not to be honest, unless someone wants to help??;)

I'll talk to the guy when I go down, I think I would be better off finding out what I need and getting my own greenstuff disks/pads then getting any old place to fit it. Or see what he quotes me for fitting.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You and your APs... Pftttt!
Stick to the original ones :) Bough 2 new front disks and 4 new Mintex pads for 29.99 on Fleebay and fitted them all in under 2 hours.

TBH mattio, its a really easy job, just need the right tools!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts

I'll talk to the guy when I go down, I think I would be better off finding out what I need and getting my own greenstuff disks/pads then getting any old place to fit it. Or see what he quotes me for fitting.
Where are you based?? Quite a few of us have done brake upgrades now, so i'm sure there would be someone nearby to offer a hand/advice. If you're anywhere near Wiltshire, i'd do it.

My AP's were 200 quid off Ebay for the entire kit. May be cheaper to just buy them again than buy just the discs/pads - you could always sell on the bits you dont need.

·
Registered
17,936 Posts

Where are you?
I'm not brilliant but I did mine ok. I'd be happy to have a bash at yours if you like.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
OH yeah mattio, you;re in London somewhere arent ya?
Im close to Alexandra Palace, so if you're around there somewhere give me a shout and i could help out with the upgrade.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
Where are you?
I'm not brilliant but I did mine ok. I'd be happy to have a bash at yours if you like.
Considering they're brakes, and can make the difference between life or death, should you needyour car to stop, I'd be a bit reluctant to just "have a bash" :err:

I think I'd either need to be absolutely sure I knew what I was doing, or get someone to help me, who was absolutely sure of what they were doing :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Considering they're brakes, and can make the difference between life or death, should you needyour car to stop, I'd be a bit reluctant to just "have a bash" :err:

I think I'd either need to be absolutely sure I knew what I was doing, or get someone to help me, who was absolutely sure of what they were doing :)

without wanting to insult anyone here but you don't exactly have to be steven hawking to do brakes!!

Just pull em apart! its dead easy! You really cant muck it up that much - if the last bolt goes in chances are you did right!

Seriously - have a go, its mileas easier than you think!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
OK sorry for the delay in butting in but I have been working! :lol:

Matt and I will do the pads this weekend either in Stanmore or Kettering (depends who is visiting who) providing he can get hold of some. Instructions from Rob's site already printed and perused and all tools to hand except copper grease.

However, stand by over the weekend everyone :lol:

I also found this article at http://www.mgtf.be/MO_TU_BR_main.html which states "These pads are suitable for all fast road applications including hot hatches and fast sedans.
This pad features a high Kevlar content formulation resulting in an ultra high performance road pad which is extremely kind to discs. With a friction co-efficient of around 0.46µ and high resistance to brake fade (550º C) this pad is a superb upgrade for high performance street cars, high speed freeway use and consecutive heavy braking. Greenstuff has won many awards from UK magazines, and was rated #1 fast road car brakes by UK's largest circulation motorsport magazine, Max Power, in 1999."

Are they good enough for a Trophy then?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That 413 price was just for the front, though the guy clearly said that was for all four! So I willb e doing this myself.....

Cheers for all the offers guys! Would be great to have a hand if you wouldn't mind! I know its something I should know how to do really, but i've never needed new brake discs before, and usually when its picked up its on an MoT so to avoid failure I just say 'yeah do it for us' when the mechanic calls.

I'm in Stanmore, slap in the middle of Watford and Harrow.

What about these disks? Will do me the front ones for an even ton, with a set of greenstuff pads and delivery, it will be 160.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGF-MGTF-TROPHY-FRONT-REAR-GROOVED-BRAKE-DISCS-304mm_W0QQitemZ200045552065QQihZ010QQcategoryZ23013QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
They aren't Rover, but I did check they weren't some nasty made in china rubbish, but he assures me they are from a well renowned factory in nottingham.
There was also a set of cheaper ones that claimed great performance, but they looked mighty cheap....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GD1176-EBC-PERFORMANCE-FR-BRAKE-DISCS-MG-MGF-TF-TROPHY_W0QQitemZ220018336594QQihZ012QQcategoryZ23013QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Then there were some really cheap ones, but I don't think they were designed for the APs and I don't know how safe I would feel with a set of 29 quid disks/pads.........

What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts