MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked my TF up last weekend and am, at this moment in time ,more than pleased:hyper:

It was purchased from a dealer near Gatwick whom has "serviced" it i.e. 55 point check, new pads (unsure which yet) oil+filter change & M.O.T'd.

Now not wanting to cast doubt on this dealers ability to service this vehicle, BUT I am thinking of getting it re-serviced by a recognised agent.

Would you consider this to be overkill? I have a slight rattle that sounds very exhaust orientated i.e. high pitched tinkerty tinkerty (sorry best description I could think of!) and over pot holes + traffic calming tables I am getting a bang/crash from the n/s front, these points obviously need looking at.

I am unsure as to which route to take, not wishing to throw money away if the service carried out at the selling dealers was good, in their defence I know that the oil has been changed, perhaps I am being too cautious?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Difficuly to know really, maybe just get the specific troubles looked at and ask them kindly to cast an eye over it whilst they're there. Personally wouldn't put too much faith in main agents though unless you feel you need electronic diagnostic.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Difficuly to know really, maybe just get the specific troubles looked at and ask them kindly to cast an eye over it whilst they're there. Personally wouldn't put too much faith in main agents though unless you feel you need electronic diagnostic.
I was thinking more along the lines of keeping up the service record with a known agent, although I guess an electronic check would not be a bad thing as I intend to take the car on a long weekend away in a few weeks time and heaven forbid it let us down! Mrs Happy would never be the same again!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,119 Posts
The 3rd service isn't much more then the car has just had (by the sounds of it) when you bought the car (save the money for the next one).

However I would get the fount suspension arm grease nipples filled with grease and the suspension bushes lubricated.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Chris

That what I was thinking, I shall give Brown and Gammons a buzz in the morning regarding the front suspension.

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
In fact I was in the same situation as you, the place I bought it from did they're 'however many point checks' but I didn't trust em and got it serviced.

Though as they have actually serviced it, and you can tell the oil is fresh, i'd be inclined to go with ChrisT's suggestions. :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I first saw the car for a test drive the oil and water were very near the top of the list of checks hence the confidence that the oil has been changed.

They were also honest enough to tell me that it had passed the MOT with a proviso (?) that stated the pads only had 30% left and that the discs (unsure whether its the fronts or backs) were lightly scored. After being looked at by their mechanics it was decided that the pads would be changed but the discs were ok.

I do hope that its the rears that are "lightly scored" !

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Slightly OT and know I'm going to be shot down but to be honest, never seen the problem with moderately scored disks, providing they're smooth and not below the minimum thickness. Potentially gives a larger surface area. Problem comes when you replace the pads and expect them to quickly wear into the score rings.

·
Registered
314 Posts
A car sales near Gatwick that's right on my doorstep. I had a look at a few before buying my one, by any chance was it at jeffries farm? also saw one in a place called carzone near redhill which i also tested. The exhaust noise could possibly be the valve that closes one of the tail pipes below 4000rpm, when i heard it first it sounded a bit tinkery.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also saw one in a place called carzone near redhill which i also tested. The exhaust noise could possibly be the valve that closes one of the tail pipes below 4000rpm, when i heard it first it sounded a bit tinkery.
Thats the place! Was it a BRG TF160?

Now the question I should not ask, why did you not buy it:errx2:

The noise seems only to happen on the over run, I am sure that its a standard exhaust.

·
Registered
314 Posts
No it was a trophy blue 135, i wanted a 160 but couldn't find a decent one so started to get desperate, the sales guy was a bit pushy so i never answered his phone calls. I told him i wanted a 160 at on point in the conversation that was obviously why he kept phoning shame it wasn't there when i looked and a shame he didn't leave a message! i could have been driving your brg tf 160 lol!
when i drove the 135 there was a few things that needed doing to it and he said that there mechanic would fix it after i had brought it. Didn't really trust the salesman / boy (surname carmicheal i think) seemed only interested in his commison. As for there servicing, they sell quite a few cars there just poped up there tonight to look for a car for the mrs and they seem adequate, might be worth giving them a call, did it come with the aa warranty? see if their mechanic noticed any strange noises as i know that a lot of dealers carry out a road test on car while servicing.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought it strange that you had already seen the car as I spotted it within an hour of it going on Auto trader and was down there within a day! Not that I was keen or anything...

The chap that I dealt with was called Daniel Carmichael, it appears that its the same person. I found him to be very pleasant and efficient, only downside was that he came with me on the test drive, not all bad though, he pointed out where the local plod plot up and sure enough there they were!

It did come with the standard AA warranty, but I am sure that this will not cover the above mentioned noises, unless of course they are serious!

·
Registered
314 Posts
small world! when we went out for a test drive he drove it first and thrashed a cold engine, that put me off a bit! Hope you find the noise i have a couple of rattles from mine most seem to disapear when the engine is hot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts