MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably posting in the wrong place, but...

I've got a very sorry for itself mk1 MPi.

A was tidy when it went in storage, hopefully still is, but has failed headgasket mk1 VVC.

And a really good engine, MLS gasket on just before I bought it, but body getting tired mk1 VVC.

The good engine VVC recently went through the MOT, but the end of the sill box section fell off the other day. The windscreen's lethal due to a million tiny scratches (on the inside). The front wings are starting to go. I swear there's a bad front bearing. Etc.

The tidy when stored (haven't checked the storage for a year!) VVC got very cooked, and overheated every 30 miles, needing to be bled to get things back in the comfortable zone each time. I'm assuming the head's going to be soft/ beyond repair.

The MPi has peeling lacquer, slowly self lowering hydragas, mould, rust... But although the engine got cooked a couple of times due to major leaks, it's always pulled strongly and last check showed no signs of mixing oil/ water, or combustion pressurising water.

My thinking is:

Kill the MPi. A shame, it was my first MGF and for all its tattiness has been an incredibly good car. But.

Put MPi engine in tired VVC, sell tired VVC with MPi engine and several months MOT as cheap "do what you want with it, you're not paying much" car.

Put good VVC engine is tidy VVC, and have an MGF I can genuinely enjoy.

I'm space limited, so am wondering the "most compact" way to kill the MPi. Is it reasonably easy to chop the front off behind the A posts with a decent recip?

Is it worth putting the MPi in the tired VVC? Will anyone buy a car with welding needed before next MOT, tatty bits here and there, and the wrong engine?

How hard is it to go from VVC to MPi? Is it worth the time/ hassle, compared to buying a used engine?

Should I simply use the known good head on the probably good block of the blown VVC? If so, do I really want to mess with head swaps compared to engine swaps?

Sorry for the long post, trying to talk myself in/ out of plans. Any thoughts on alternative, more sane, solutions to this conundrum?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Ok, the way you've written your post is a bit hard to follow but I believe you have 3 F's, two vvc and one mpi. The mpi and one of the vvcs are a bit of a dog and your better conditioned vvc has a shagged head gasket possible head.

MGF prices are rising in value, especially the early ones (1995/96) as they can be exported to the USA....there are people out there which may buy to repair but sadly there are also many people out there buying cheap and just breaking them for a quick profit.

You could swap the engine from you mpi to the vvc, but you will need to use the engine loom and ecu as well. If you know someone who welds or you can weld yourself you could just fabricate some repair patches and weld yourself, if fabricating the parts yourself isn't possible, I believe Mike Satur sells pre fabricated sill ends and sills. Wings are cheap second hand.

Personally, I'd get the vvc welded, you may be able to get the windscreen replaced through your insurance and not affect your NCB and if you don't want to do a wheel bearing yourself or don't have access to a press to get it out there are always sellers on ebay selling front hubs whole so you could just swap one over. if the other two are beyond repair, either sell whole if pushed for space or strip and keep parts to keep your vvc alive and sell other parts to help fund you repairs of the vvc

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Dert makes some very good points and I certainly would not argue with any of that.

For me though, its a simple question of how much do you love each of the cars and want to either save them or get rid. Otherwise, only you know whether you have the time, money and skills required.

In summary: your cars, your choices really.

Good luck.

Reactions: Shambolic

·
Registered
cityrover
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
For me though, its a simple question of how much do you love each of the cars and want to either save them or get rid. Otherwise, only you know whether you have the time, money and skills required.Good luck.
Thanks.

I don't really like killing any car, but...

I'm kind of done with the "tatty" (red) VVC. While each of the issues is trivial on its own, added together I just find myself looking at the car and thinking "Ugh. No. Enough already".

I wasn't aware earlier cars had any value, the MPi needs more than a T Cut, but maybe has value to someone out there, which makes me less keen to kill it despite that probably being merciful at this point. It was my first F, and ridiculously dependable for something so rough.

The shiny VVC (orange) is (or was, not seen it for a year!) immaculate underneath and pretty tidy on top. It's definitely the keeper of the three. Except for a rather cooked engine. I guess the stream of long day dilemma confusion comes down to "Best way to get the orange back on the road, ideally using stuff I already have".

Ok, the way you've written your post is a bit hard to follow but I believe you have 3 F's, two vvc and one mpi. The mpi and one of the vvcs are a bit of a dog and your better conditioned vvc has a shagged head gasket possible head.
Yeah, pretty much! I was cidering off the end of a long day of trying to figure what the hell to do with too many cars and not enough space...

sadly there are also many people out there buying cheap and just breaking them for a quick profit.
They'd double their profit from my MPi purely by finding the small change that fell under the drivers seat...

I see VVC engines going for around 4 - 500. Wondering if I might be able to get that for my red VVC, in which case life could be made easier by simply buying another engine and going over it while it's on the floor, ready to drop in the orange one. Removes MPi loom swaps etc from the picture then too. As for the work needed, it's not entirely can't do, as really don't have the time/ space/ energy to.

Edit to add: Damnit, the MPi is an earlyish '97. OK, no trying to sell to crazy importers then.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Edit to add: Damnit, the MPi is an earlyish '97. OK, no trying to sell to crazy importers then.
Only a year to go though before being able to :p .

If your orange one is Volcano Orange or as I call it ginger, it is definitely the one to keep as this colour is very desirable, although I also wouldn't look at getting rid of the one which needs work as the VVC's hold their price better than the mpi's. If you do sell the VVC which needs sills, etc, just advertise letting buyers know and at a price you know vvc engines go for...don't uses facebook though as everyone on there wants everything for nothing and you'll get the "I bought mine for £200" brigade. Second hand VVC engine do crop up on ebay now and again cheap, usually because they are sold by breakers or joe public who don't realise they are a VVC so its always worth a check on there.

·
Registered
cityrover
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only a year to go though before being able to :p .

If your orange one is Volcano Orange or as I call it ginger, it is definitely the one to keep as this colour is very desirable, although I also wouldn't look at getting rid of the one which needs work as the VVC's hold their price better than the mpi's. If you do sell the VVC which needs sills, etc, just advertise letting buyers know and at a price you know vvc engines go for...don't uses facebook though as everyone on there wants everything for nothing and you'll get the "I bought mine for £200" brigade. Second hand VVC engine do crop up on ebay now and again cheap, usually because they are sold by breakers or joe public who don't realise they are a VVC so its always worth a check on there.
I need to check the orange paint code - It's a sort of metallic, quick Google suggests it is "Volcano". Although I was calling it racing bronze ;)

The tatty/ red (nightfire) VVC only recently went through an MOT, and I think the usual sill rot areas were done before I got it. But the end/ "closing" area inside the inner arch did literally fall off when I went to pick at a bit of peel I spotted while topping up a tyre. Most likely is the only welding needed on the whole car. But both front wings are starting to let go at the front of the arches, there's that rub through to metal on the rear deck, lethal at night windscreen, etc etc.

Plus you might have guessed, I have too many cars (I've not mentioned the comatose mk2 GTa yet...). But the replies here have got my mind closer to sorting the orange before doing much of anything with/ about the others. My main motivation for killing the MPi instead of letting it go for peanuts was for the engine swaparounds, and if I'm not dropping the red's in the orange then I don't need to strip/kill the MPi. Assuming I can get maybe £100 for it as it rots stands.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Plus you might have guessed, I have too many cars (I've not mentioned the comatose mk2 GTa yet...). But the replies here have got my mind closer to sorting the orange before doing much of anything with/ about the others. My main motivation for killing the MPi instead of letting it go for peanuts was for the engine swaparounds, and if I'm not dropping the red's in the orange then I don't need to strip/kill the MPi. Assuming I can get maybe £100 for it as it rots stands.
You can never have too many cars, I've 5 F's and 7 TF's, plus 3 other cars and 10 motorbikes :p but I've only 3 cars and 3 bikes currently all taxed, insured etc.

Front wings can be bought for around £30 each on ebay and as I mention, you may be able to get the windscreen sorted through insurance without affecting any no claims you may have. had a screen changed because a crack on a vehicle around 2 years ago, cost me £75 as it was part of window cover.

Rather than sell the mpi whole, you may want to use it as donor to keep the other two on the road (wings, etc.) especially as second hand spheres sell for around £50 each, headlights £30 each and the list goes on so you could future proof you other two :) plus if you've an original cat on it it could be worth silly money I've seen F cats selling for over £300 and TF cats selling for over £700 on ebay

·
Registered
cityrover
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can never have too many cars, I've 5 F's and 7 TF's, plus 3 other cars and 10 motorbikes :p but I've only 3 cars and 3 bikes currently all taxed, insured etc.
I guess... At least bikes don't take up as much space? Part of my storage crisis is the amount of parts for current and past cars/ projects...

Front wings can be bought for around £30 each on ebay and as I mention, you may be able to get the windscreen sorted through insurance without affecting any no claims you may have. had a screen changed because a crack on a vehicle around 2 years ago, cost me £75 as it was part of window cover.
I wasn't sure if I'd get a screen based on MOT passing but night time hell scratches. As for the rest of the car, I could think about wings, that bit of welding, touching up where the hard top's rubbed through the deck, etc, but... Although I know it'd make it more sellable.

Rather than sell the mpi whole, you may want to use it as donor to keep the other two on the road
Definitely contemplating it. Spheres might not be too great, and I've got a set I bought for the GTa if I decide not to go that route. Headlights have had cheapo projectors go in due to reflector evaporation. But I'm sure there's got to be something on it worth more than £3.68.

Doubt it's on the original cat, in fact, chances are none of them are. Seems to be an annual consumable come MOT time. Although if they're fetching nuts money and the orange is still factory, I can see other ways of funding the engine situation...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts