MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have recently acquired a rover 100, it runs a little bit rough, but the bloke said it could be due to old fuel in the tank, when I filled it up it seemed to be a little better and not so hesitant. I am gonna change the spark plugs as don't know since they was last changed, has anyone else got any other suggestions I should check or do

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would seem a sensible and relatively inexpensive place to start, but could be any number of things.
Has the car been standing unused for some time?
Yeah the cars been sat for a couple of years, it's been mot each year, last year it failed on emissions then passed, it could be stale fuel still in the tank as I did put some e5 in and it ran a little better but the idle fluctuates when warm and it's running a little rich

·
Registered
Rover 100 Kensington se
8 Posts
I have a rover 100 too and mine also idles up and down. A few months ago it would start to rev itself and the rpm would go sky high but it doesn't do that much anymore. I'm still not sure what the problem is but I got the Haynes manual and I think there was a section in there for troubleshooting idle rpm being erratic. I'll hopefully get round to it this weekend so I'll update you on my findings

·
Registered
Rover 100 Kensington se
8 Posts
Hello, I have recently acquired a rover 100, it runs a little bit rough, but the bloke said it could be due to old fuel in the tank, when I filled it up it seemed to be a little better and not so hesitant. I am gonna change the spark plugs as don't know since they was last changed, has anyone else got any other suggestions I should check or do
One thing I replaced on my car was the distributor rotor and cap. I think it cost me around £15-£20 in total and really helped with smoothing out the ride

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I replaced on my car was the distributor rotor and cap. I think it cost me around £15-£20 in total and really helped with smoothing out the ride
I'll check if it's that, I changed the plugs, did and oil and filter change, changed a vacuum hose and still the idle is crap, when it's cold it stalls if you accelerate aggressively or tap the accelerator on idle and in neutral, when it's moving it's fine no issues, just when it's sat the idle either rises high or it fluctuating

1 - 8 of 8 Posts