MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, currently with my rover 111si the expansion tank leaks, I've tried different types of plastic glues and it still leaks, can I use a metal expansion tank or should I not use one, please someone let me know what I should do

·
Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
5,817 Posts
Google the number or go to a scrappy then. New it looks like around 50 GBP.

·
Registered
rover_sd1
474 Posts
Hi I repaired my radiator tank as well as my water res. using polyprop strips cut from the tank joints as welding pieces. I discovered that the pully covers we also polyprop with carbon fibres . The latter i used strips to repair the radiator tank. The water res and the timing cover etc are also high temp polyprop which means you can rob weld pieces from those.
We have not scrap yards in South Africa who carry these parts. The result is a bit of thinking and willingness to do it.

You would need a good gas soldering iron without the metal end. Melt the plastic over the crack area using the strips as welding rods. You would in essence seal and fix the crack similar to how the repair plastic bumpers. See you tube.
Naturally it depends on wear the tank leak is. You will need to find some copper or stainless steel mesh to embed into the tank over the crack to prevent another.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi I repaired my radiator tank as well as my water res. using polyprop strips cut from the tank joints as welding pieces. I discovered that the pully covers we also polyprop with carbon fibres . The latter i used strips to repair the radiator tank. The water res and the timing cover etc are also high temp polyprop which means you can rob weld pieces from those.
We have not scrap yards in South Africa who carry these parts. The result is a bit of thinking and willingness to do it.

You would need a good gas soldering iron without the metal end. Melt the plastic over the crack area using the strips as welding rods. You would in essence seal and fix the crack similar to how the repair plastic bumpers. See you tube.
Naturally it depends on wear the tank leak is. You will need to find some copper or stainless steel mesh to embed into the tank over the crack to prevent another.
Hope this helps.
Cheers I might try it thanks for the advice

·
Registered
mg_tf
455 Posts
Not really sure why you have three threads active covering the same topic -?? Rather confusing and disjointed.
The one on EBay for £19.99 is still there under Item no. 165114616695, and looks very similar to my 1992.

As I suggested, it must surely be worth a gamble, rather than messing about trying to plastic weld your current one, or consider trying to find a non original metal one.

If you are searching EBay under the part number you keep quoting, then it’s unlikely you will find anything.
Simply widen your search - Rover Metro coolant reservoir / expansion tank etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts