MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some help with sorting out the timing solenoid, first things first - where's the best place to buy a new one?

I've read the guide, but could do with a rough idea on how long it takes to do, keeping in mind that I'm not a mechanic, I don't mind getting the spanners out but I've not got the slightest interest in changing a stupid solenoid so want the easiest and fastest way possible, preferably without taking all the radiator and everything off.

Or is there anyone in the West Midlands area that would do it for me?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just did mine, was a piece of cake apart from one stuck torx bolt on the mounting plate. It took me about 3 hours that was with dealing with the torx bolt and also tidying up a fluid leak at the power steering tank.

follow the guide and it is simples.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just did mine, was a piece of cake apart from one stuck torx bolt on the mounting plate. It took me about 3 hours that was with dealing with the torx bolt and also tidying up a fluid leak at the power steering tank.

follow the guide and it is simples.
Did you take the radiator out?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
can be done without

Bit more fiddly but its doable without If you read the howto the poster said it was think Rad was removed so photo's would be easier to take

·
Registered
893 Posts
Where's the best place to order a new timing solenoid from?
Ebay... they're down to about 80 quid now.

Also are you sure you need a new solenoid? Check your timings, if the pump is to far advanced it throws up the code p1222, mine did whilst I was aiming for +2 deg but got +4.5 instead. Proper panicked when it threw that code up!!! But retarded it now and the code has gone away.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm quite sure it's the timing solenoid, the car ran perfect when I first got it but now it sometimes idles very rough and get an odd hesitation/braking feeling at light throttle inputs when adjusting the throttle.

·
Registered
rover_45
478 Posts
Ebay... they're down to about 80 quid now.

Also are you sure you need a new solenoid? Check your timings, if the pump is to far advanced it throws up the code p1222, mine did whilst I was aiming for +2 deg but got +4.5 instead. Proper panicked when it threw that code up!!! But retarded it now and the code has gone away.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have a pump on which the ECU part failed. The solenoids are ok though, do you know if they could still be used?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
if the weather stays dry or you have shelter to work on the car i can help you swap it mate :)

im off to Amsterdam Thursday for few days but other than that im free

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if the weather stays dry or you have shelter to work on the car i can help you swap it mate :)

im off to Amsterdam Thursday for few days but other than that im free
Nice one mate, I have no idea when I'll be free as work is quite busy and sometimes have to work weekends, but I may end up giving you a shout as I'll probably end up running out of patience with it lol.

Does anyone know if the one from a Transit is the same part?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRANSIT-F...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f3235115e

Typing in "bosch vp30 timing solenoid" on ebay brings that up.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers, I'll have another search around just to make sure it's the right one and I'll get it ordered as it needs doing as it's holding me back from getting on with fitting the turbo and other bits.

Enjoy your holiday :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts