MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know roughly how much it'll cost to get the timingbelt adjusted on my k'series rover metro?,ive seen a car for sale but timing may need adjusting and i wanted advice before buying the motor.......:dunno:

·
Registered
35 Posts
More details would be good. Why do you think it might need adjusting? Timing belt has an automatic tensioner (just takes up the slack in the belt). Valve timing is set by lining up some markings of the components that are driven by the timing belt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on the advert for the car it says that the timeing belt may need adjusting ?,i have not seen the car yet?,is he trying to rip me off ??

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It does happen .. my 100 had a misfitted belt and dear lord it caused me problems, lack of power fuel consumption of a very large jag and one night it nearly killed me because it refused to move quickly.

Thats what happens if they are not tensioned correctly or you get crushed valves. No other reason really. Maybe they mean fan belt as thats more obvious (with the noise)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check when the belt was last changed. It might be advert-speak for "timing belt is due for replacement".
Timing belt is basically the cam belt and as others have said here the markins are all on the drive pully and camshaft end of things. The timing is either correct or its possibly a tooth out if someone didn't do the job right.. If it ran rough I'd give it a miss...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Two months ago for my '96 Knightsbridge SE it costed me £225 (labour+parts alltogether) to have the timebelt+fanbelt replaced plus the whole handbrake bowden replaced, break cleaned. So I guess, replacing the belts costed around £80-120...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts