MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so there have been quite a few negative stories about MGR of late, together with the usual, sad and tedious drivel of ‘no smoke without fire’ from idiots who know absolutely no more than the rest of us :irked:

However, if you think MGR will be finished by Friday, then I say either ‘put up or shut up’. Therefore, in the event that MGR is finished by Friday, I will:

> Make a £500 donation to a charity of your choice
> Have my legs waxed
> Take a 30 minute bath in cold baked beans

So if anyone thinks differently, let me know if you’re up for the challenge,

If you’re wrong, then it’ll be you making the £500 donation to a charity of my choice, having your legs waxed and taking a 30 minute bath in cold baked beans.

Game on anyone? ;)

John

·
Registered
225 Posts
We'll soon find out. The company will either carry on or go bust. Then we'll see if all the doom and gloom has been correct. Hope not!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
MLC said:
We'll soon find out. The company will either carry on or go bust. Then we'll see if all the doom and gloom has been correct. Hope not!
Quick subject change, you're from Malvern!

I bought my Mini from - well, near Malvern - Hanley Swan???

Just thought I'd share that with you! ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Its obviously not going to go pop on Friday, that’s utter rot. Whoever wrote that wants a slap, its really deplorable journalism. From the independent too, very disappointing. However I could be tempted to put some money on the negative side of a slightly more reasonable bet, what about: £10 says this time next year the new mid-size car still won’t be launched and at least 40% of Longbridge headcount will be gone.

Then if I am proved wrong, I’ll still be happy, if I am right, at least a tenner takes the disappointment away for a while.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I rarely pay any attention to the news as they only seem to like doom and gloom and never have to justify themselves when futire events usually prove them wrong.

Instead, I'm impatiently waiting for some funding due in the very near future so I can sort out a nice new 75 Tourer. Actions speak louder than words :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
If MGR are on the brink then why this?

Ten minutes ago a 'surplus' manager, who is presently laid off and who I know very well, volunteered the information that he has today received a letter from MGR giving him the option to apply for three different jobs at Longbridge.

Hardly the action of a company about to go out of business!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Also MGR is having a big drive at recuriting new MGR apprentices.

If anything, the press are the soul reason for MGR losing money, by constantly telling everyone the company will close by the end of the week.

Oh, and good topic john, support you all the way mate :) :grouphug:

·
Registered
225 Posts
red_flame said:
Quick subject change, you're from Malvern!

I bought my Mini from - well, near Malvern - Hanley Swan???

Just thought I'd share that with you! ;)
Just down the road from me, I'm round the corner from the showground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put my money where my mouth is

I know I'm a newbie here, but I've been lurking for a while and have posted on "other" MG-Rover forums. I wanted to say that I agree that we, press included, should all be a bit more positive about MGR and UK plc in general.

I put my money where my mouth is and purchased a new TF. Apart from the fact that we liked the car, it seemed to me to be a good way of supporting UK jobs etc. in some small way.

If each and every one of us in the UK were just a bit more positive, a bit more constructive, and thought a bit more about where our money was going we could make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
JohnSwitzer said:
Okay, so there have been quite a few negative stories about MGR of late, together with the usual, sad and tedious drivel of ‘no smoke without fire’ from idiots who know absolutely no more than the rest of us :irked:

However, if you think MGR will be finished by Friday, then I say either ‘put up or shut up’. Therefore, in the event that MGR is finished by Friday, I will:

> Make a £500 donation to a charity of your choice
> Have my legs waxed
> Take a 30 minute bath in cold baked beans

So if anyone thinks differently, let me know if you’re up for the challenge,

If you’re wrong, then it’ll be you making the £500 donation to a charity of my choice, having your legs waxed and taking a 30 minute bath in cold baked beans.

Game on anyone? ;)

John
Like your style John .. like your style.

Hmmmm .... baked beans .... high octane phaseolus... ;)

Way to go ..... and I bet your the kind of bloke who doesn't believe all he reads in the media too.... you know, they sometimes speak with forked tongue .... :)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I agree with JohnSwitzer, so if rover closes down on friday I will donate £100 to the ex workers of longbridge fund (if one is setup), if rover does live past friday then buy me a drink to bring me down from my cheerful mood. Any takers?

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
Ade-Surrey said:
I put my money where my mouth is and purchased a new TF. Apart from the fact that we liked the car, it seemed to me to be a good way of supporting UK jobs etc. in some small way.

Good for you ADE.

You know I've been saying and doing exactly that for many years and been subject to much ridicule for so doing from time to time from my fellow Brits .... such is the average mentality of many a so called 'Brit' in our once green and pleasant during the past two decades or so... Nearly came to blows on more than one occasion - Kraut product owning so called car enthusiasts .... his superior build Stuttgart product's engine fire was certainly of superior quality! Total and very expennsive loss (no not the three pointed wossname - the other one with the pendulous 'does my bum look big in this ... Yes!" ... rear end :) ) So did I gloat, no I didn't actually. ANY car can give problems.... Pendulous Porsches being no exception.

As a Nation we now excel only at two things...

Buying Foreign and getting it wrong. Look around you - plenty of evidence.

Didn't used to be so....

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
Its too much of a coincidence that the urgent request for taxpayers cash comes close to the election. Its a clever if obvious ploy.

They know that no government will stand by and let thousands of jobs disappear, so this is the best hope they have of being lent a few million quid.

I'll bet Gordon Brown is spitting blood at having his arm twisted by MGR bosses in this way.

However, even if they do survive in the short term, if SAIC remain involved, I cannot see a merger or partnership happening. Its arrogant nonsense.
It would be like a corner shop saying it was merging with Asda.
If ASDA wanted something the corner shop had (eg location) they'd just buy it out and the corner shop then disappears.

MGR will be bought out by SAIC if they don't lose interest and eventually production will be moved lock stock and barrel to China. (In a year or two).
Many large companies have taken government (taxpayers) money to move into 'deprived areas' and then cleared off once the business rate free period has ended.

If SAIC want MGR, they'll wait until it is on its corporate knees and then pounce.
The government will allow it to happen provided jobs aren't lost, but eventually MGR as we knew it be moved to China along with all the jobs.

SAIC aren't going to pay UK wages when they can pay Chinese wages, and they won't be bothered if they don't sell MGR cars in the Uk if they can sell 10times more in the Far East.

At best, what's left of MGR will become an importer, much like the Heron group were of Nissans.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts