MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i have recently purchased a Rover 420 Gsi Turbo with 51k on the clock and FSH ,

now when the car is started cold it is quite noisy ( a similar noise to a tappet) this is only when the car is cold and stops after around 15 mins of driving,

the cambelt has been done is 2002 but the tensioners were not (maybe the cause)

the car takes around 7 miles to warm up which to me is a Very long time, this is making me think that the water pump may have had it (possible cause of noise also) or maybe it could just be the stat is nackered on it

the car doesnt smoke one bit and is still running stock internals etc, what do you guys think the noise could be, with only 51k on the clock it shouldnt be making those kind of noises,

also the noise gets louder when the engine is under load (accelorating etc)

any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
A shot in the dark ..
I had this noise after I filled up with cheap supermarket petrol.

it persisted till the car got warm. around 2.5 miles on my 420
yours is taking longer ...so your thermostat is duff.
the noise I think is something to do with the cheap petrol...too low and octane or something.. ..as soon as I put better fuel in the noise was gone .....you are getting the noise longer because the car takes longer to warm up ........
but your turbo has low compression ....so maybe it isn't the same and as sensitive as mine to bad fuel ....I don't know.

all the best.mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm interesting , well i will try running on optimax and see what happens, also the thermostat, will i need a new housing gasket when i change it or are they rubber ones not paper?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
They are very thick carboard ...dont be tempted to use one of the universal ones...just dont go their
In fact i think ..your old stat gasket should still be ok to use again with a dollop of hylomar ...if you cant get the proper one .

all the best.mark

·
Registered
27,730 Posts
piston slap?

oh yes the T16 has knock sensor to overcome pre-ignition from using different grades of petrol, the knock sensor could be duff I suppose

R

·
0 Posts
They are prone to ticking tappets - try running on turbo diesel engine oil. Not diesel fuel, but TD engine oil - the extra detergents help clean out the oil ways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it may be tappets i suppose but i have had a few cars with ticking tappets and it doesnt seem to be that kind of noise

the sump is leaking oil quite a bit, im wondering if the previous owner has let it run low on oil and fubar the big end or something :?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts