MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I am having a little issue with the tick over on my MGTF 135 (2003) the car is ticking over at 1500rpm, this started out as an intermittent problem, I sprayed the cable with WD40 with no difference.

I asume this might be a sensor problem but I'm not sure, the engine management light hasn't come on and the car is running as normal, did a run of 120 miles on Sunday to a show and it went fine other than the tick over, any advice would be great,
Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
It can be one of many causes - vacuum leak, stepper motor, butterfly valve, accelerator, throttle position sensor ..... In my case when I had 1500rpm, I adjusted the throttle valve to adjust the number of steps adopted by the stepper motor at hot idle to 26 steps (it was up at 50/60 pre-adjustment).

Pscan helped me diagnose the problem and make the right stepper adjustments (after I had spent a fortune on new sensors and failed).

There are loads of threads on this forum and others about this problem; sometimes people have failed to diagnose the problem. That is why access to Testbook or Pscan is so useful.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
292 Posts
If you do end up changing the throttle cable be wary, someone on the MGOC forum struggled unsuccessfully to fit one only to discover it was made too short.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well not sure what happened, the car is running perfectly again, took it to another show, did a few miles after just to see if it would play up.
Maybe the WD40 did the job, anyway it fine for now.
Watch this space I think! 😁

1 - 6 of 6 Posts