MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 3 X Rover 25s in the family all listed as 103 HP 2001/2 and 2004 2004 One is down on power, mid range mainly.
Its intake hose is held to the throttle body by a plastic clip so I removed it and the butterfly doesn't appear to open very far, only about 45 to 50 degrees.
The other two have crimped clips so I can't easily see the butterflys but the throttle cam seems to move through the same angle on all three. Can all three actually be 83 hp.
I regularly rev the oldest to 6000 in first and hold 2nd to 60mph, its done 160K miles and is on its 2nd HG and I am seldom beaten away from the traffic lights so 83 bhp doesn't sound likely. Is this not opening fully normal? On a 103 hp.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Your car either has a restricted throttle body or the throttle cable is very slack.
The pulley on the restricted throttle bodies is shaped like an ear lobe, whereas on the unrestricted TB's it's a quarter-circle.

·
Registered
rover_25
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The throttle cable cam is a quarter circle on all three and there is a stop on the cam which hits the throttle cable bracket to restrict opening. I cut it off on the sluggish one and got a lot of extra noise and urge at over 5000 revs but its still down on power. It pulls nicely and you wouldn't notice except the other two turn into school hill 3 up in second gear and pull away and this one doesn't needing a drop to 1st.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts