MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to recall that one of the recommended mods to the F was to change the throttle body (which i think was plastic) to an after-market metal one.
I've just swapped my old F for an 02 TF160 and was staring into the engine bay the other day (pondering how to make it sound even nicer) when I noticed the throttle body was a nice shiney aluminium item. Is this standard on the TF's, or has a previous owner been changing things?

Oh, an more importantly (reason for initial pondering) is it worth sticking the K+N filter on the 160 or does it breath well enough already?

cheers all

Mark

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
TF160's and ZR160's already have the 52mm alloy Throttle body as standard. Not sure if a k&n is worth it. Obviously the engine bay can get a lot hotter than a front engined car (our MGF's fan came on quite quickly in comparison to our other Rovers) so you might need an induction kit with a cold air feed possibly. I'm sure one of the F/TF boys will know a lot more than me.

Anthony.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
ye m8t the tf160 will have the alloys throttle body as standard plus if you want big gaines due to induction go for a sealed filter ie viper,typhoon system etc :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers,
seems to be a lot of good stuff as standard on the 160, I suppose that's how they got the bhp up.
I'll keep pondering the filter upgrade and start saving the pennies.
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Blackadder1234 said:
Cheers,
seems to be a lot of good stuff as standard on the 160, I suppose that's how they got the bhp up.
I'll keep pondering the filter upgrade and start saving the pennies.
Thanks
Mark
You're quite right, the extra power comes from a much improved induction syatem as standard (amongst other things). You'll probably not notice a great difference even with an enclosed induction system like an ITG, Vadar etc. so I'd save my pennies for something else.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, sounds like no point in the filter upgrade - cheers.
I'm starting to feel like a chav in a must-buy-car-improvements kind of mood (i'll be after purple downlighters next - lol!). Been having a look at some of the available bits and I must say that I really like the look of those roll hoops, might be a bit harder to get the funding request past my wife mind - initial suggestion of the "lexus-style" replacement light clusters earnt me a serious frosty glare! Oh well...
Mark

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Mark.

Stafianns right, alot of the 160s gains over previous models is down to the revised air intake, and has a induction kit of sorts as standard!.

A nice after market exhaust will improve the noise , but wont give much in the way of power gains, for that you will need to spend serious cash!.

Best just sticking to ` cosmetic` mods, and see if you can get the new PRT thermostat retro fitted to help prevent the evil........HGF!.
God I hate saying that word!, its like " that Scotish play" to an Actor!.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Already looking into that after a grade-A HGF on my old F (big style clouds of steam followed by massive bill).
Currently sticking religiously to the "not above 3000rpm until the oil temp comes up" rule, but it is getting a bit tedious as the first 3 miles on my way to work are nice twisty B roads (which is probably why the old one went).
Mark

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Just as important ( more so IMHO), is to let the car `warm Down` slowly as well.
If you have just got back after a days good thrashing, let the engine run on for a minute after you have stopped, just to let the red Hot water from the block/head be removed.
Helps prevent `Heatsoak`, another cause of the ......Err....well you know!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts