MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help will be greatly appreciated

I intend to run throttle bodies on my 1.8vvc, but have a few questions first.

My currently plans include using the DTA S40 pro, will this be adequate?
What happens with respect to the code for the immoboliser in the current rover ecu? Where is the best place to purchase said ecu and have it mapped?

What likely bhp am i looking at. It is a zr160 spec engine, with full janspeed exhaust system with sports cat and 421.

Cheers

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Might be better asking on rovertech as the techie geeks (err sorry knowledgable people), hang out on there a lot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any help will be greatly appreciated

I intend to run throttle bodies on my 1.8vvc, but have a few questions first.

My currently plans include using the DTA S40 pro, will this be adequate?
What happens with respect to the code for the immoboliser in the current rover ecu? Where is the best place to purchase said ecu and have it mapped?

What likely bhp am i looking at. It is a zr160 spec engine, with full janspeed exhaust system with sports cat and 421.

Cheers
if you're planning on keeping the vvc mech, the S40 DTA cant control vvc.

however S80 will control it (not sure about S60).

the most common thing seems to be to ditch the vvc mech (as it seems to be restrictive for higher power) and put some solid cams in there, (kits are available). then you'll be able to use the S40.

www.gb-ent.com < had a 200 vi running on DTA and supplies + fits.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
No need to ditch the mechs for higher power, the VVC is nowhere near it's potential. An emerald will control the VVC mechs quite happily without the need for going solid cams.

I don't think it matters about the immobiliser as it no longer ties into the engine ECU and so has no control over it. I.E. starter, fuelling, spark will all be controlled by the Emerald. Not 100% on that though. May just work as normal with the Emerald seeing as it's designed for the K series basically.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd go for an Emerald over a DTA, Its not that its a better ECU, just that emerald have alot more experiance with the K series, and have a large selection of base maps to get you running until you can get it on the rollers.

The Emerald can work with the 5AS immobiliser much the same as mems does, with the benefit that you can match them up yourself with a laptop.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Which engine ECU are you using at the moment? The EU3 ECU from a 160BHP VVC car or the EU2 ECU from a 145BHP VVC car?

I ask as I have a feeling the Emerald is still only plug compatible with EU2 engine harness. A ZR160 will use the EU3 harness and thus you would need a conversion loom to allow you to hook the Emerald up to EU3 harness. The problem with that is that conversion looms are (or at least were) rare as hens teeth as the required ECU connectors are very hard to come by, even before Longbridge closed.
If you are currently using an ECU from an EU2 car (i.e. for 145BHP VVC engine) then there wont be a problem though.

You will need to have the Emerald mapped on a rolling road to get the most from it. You may be able to find an existing map for a similar setup to yours to get the car running but a RR map will release the full potential. You may also need to alter some ECU parameters or possible even use a different map in order to pass an MOT.

I would personally opt for the Emerald as there is a lot of experience in it out there, plus a lot of existing maps. It is compatible with the 5AS security system, and seems to be a bit more DIY tweekable.

Personally I would be looking at some head modifications first before going for the MTB's though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what head modifications would you prescibe?

Some very useful info here guys, i'll email emerald and ask them about the later mems 3 connection as that is what my car is running.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I would recomend something like the K06a conversion from DVAPower which includes porting the head, fitting a revised exhaust cam, retiming the inlet cams and some work on the exhaust manifold and inlet plenum (port matching them I assume).
The kit is £1K and fitting should be around £500.
IMO it would give very pleasing results :D You could always then add the MTB's and Emerald at a later date.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The connectors for the latest EU3 Mems are copyrighted and the copyright owner will not license Emerald to use them, therefore they cannot make an adaptor, nor can they make the ECU plug compatible. However it is straightforward to graft an EU2 connector onto the EU3 loom anf then you can plug in directly, I have schematics to make this easy to do.

Dave

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ashy,

Word format.

It would be better to discuss commercial stuff off the board, I dont really want to be advertising here.

Alternatively have a look at my website, the prices there are pretty much up to date

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts