MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rover got a fair whack for the 25 / 75 / k series rights. I hear about £160m.
They also (if you can believe it from the media) sold some cars last year which also netted cash.

Now even if losses last year got worse that still should leave cash in the kitty.

Tony Woodley is saying he feels betrayed by BMW on the radio (didnt hear it so not sure of the context).

SAIC are saying they are not out of it.

MGRovers next thing is to call in the administrators.

Now whats the best way of not having to pay back the BMW loan?
 

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
Joined
·
1,580 Posts
Tony Woodley said that he did not feel betrayed by the Government, but by BMW for creating this mess in the first place.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,808 Posts
Blah blah blah BMW held onto Rover for years, who can blame them for buggering off when they make a £600m loss in a single year despite massive investment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Russ said:
Blah blah blah BMW held onto Rover for years, who can blame them for buggering off when they make a £600m loss in a single year despite massive investment.
Sorry, but your figures are misquoted. The "losses" *included* write-down of those investments - so if you don't include the investments, the figures "lost" are much, much lower. Remember that the development and investment in the new Mini (design & tooling), new Freelander etc were all written against Rover's book.

BMW may not have done anything "wrong" by leaving Rover in the gutter, but I think a lot of people would state it as morally questionable.

Regards,
Moby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Russ said:
Blah blah blah BMW held onto Rover for years, who can blame them for buggering off when they make a £600m loss in a single year despite massive investment.
Were you aware that BMW wrote of their development costs against Rover group?

Who do you think designed the MINI?
Where do you think the 4WD technology for the X3 and X5 came from? And who developed it?
Did you know thats Rover groups original medium car project evolved into the 1-series?

And were you aware that BMW chartered a jet at £80m a year to shuttle their suits from Munich to Birmingham, when cost effective passenger services were available?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,131 Posts
Much of which was caused by BMW accounting techniques and Rover paying for much of BMW R&D.

Not to mention a B*W Private Jet based at BHX; a property portfolio that made Mohammed Al Fayed look like an amateur; the development of technologies that never made it near any Rover, but have subsequently appeared on B*Ws; and salaries to B*W employees being attributed to Rover Group who wouldn't have known what a Rover was if it drove over them... which in some cases I wish it had :err:

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
gnnw196 said:
Did you know thats Rover groups original medium car project evolved into the 1-series?
Sorry but thats an old chestnut which refuses to die. The proposed Rover was FWD, the 1 series is RWD and the 1 series project was started with a fresh sheet of paper the day after BMW sold Rover to PVH. Also I believe the proposed FWD design was offered to PVH, but they didn't want it.

I don't think BMW can be realistically blamed for what is happening to MGR at the present.

BMW also did not write off developments for BMW projects onto Rover group, only Rover/LR/FWD costs (including the MINI). However there was a lot of extravigance (excuse spelling) with posh houses for training centres etc.. but no one at Rover complained about that whilst they were owned by BMW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,428 Posts
Do you think anything as hideous as the 1 series could have evolved from Rover? No way. And that's apart from the FWD/RWD valid point made.

Anthony.
 
G

·
AnthonyG said:
Sorry but thats an old chestnut which refuses to die. The proposed Rover was FWD, the 1 series is RWD and the 1 series project was started with a fresh sheet of paper the day after BMW sold Rover to PVH. Also I believe the proposed FWD design was offered to PVH, but they didn't want it.

I don't think BMW can be realistically blamed for what is happening to MGR at the present.

BMW also did not write off developments for BMW projects onto Rover group, only Rover/LR/FWD costs (including the MINI). However there was a lot of extravigance (excuse spelling) with posh houses for training centres etc.. but no one at Rover complained about that whilst they were owned by BMW.
Some X5 development costs were stood by Rover Group as too was the electrics of the Z4 for some very strange reasons
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top