MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the photo's below, does this look like hg failure again??

Been loosing coolent for a while and tonight for the first time we've noticed a puddle after leaving the car parked up for a few hours. Coolent tank is empty again and as you can see, top bit of engine looks wet.

Also, anyone have the part number for the uprated landrover HG?? The one thats a suitable replacement for a 1.4 16v K??

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
First of all, don't panic. Its like every rover owner is on tender hooks for hgf.

The pictures unfortunately don't give the right sort of information. Clearly you have a leak... but what sort of leak is it? I.E.

Is it coolant, erupting from the expansion tank
Is it from a severed or damaged pipe.
Is it from the water pump
Other

Looking at your cam cover, this looks like it has a small leak but thats not the head gasket and is a 5 min repair job (£11.50 for the gasket)

Looking at which side that water has come out.. and with the lack of further pictures, it looks like it has come from the water pump (They usually leak from the small gland behind it)

Fill it back up with water (When its light) and have a look round the car to see how it looses the water and go from there. Also the expansion cap could of gone. Take it off, look inside the cap you should see a washer, if it is dead centre it is ok, if it is slightly offset you need a new one and it would stop the water pressurizing causing it to bubble over and ultimately loose your coolant all over the road.

Still thinking water pump though.

Land Rover headgasket Part Number LVB500190
Land Rover oil ladder Part Number LCN000140L

Sean

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Likey the oil on the upper engine is there from them the HG was repaired lasttime round??

Reason I'm worried bout it is i've only had the HG replaced 6 week ago so wasnt wanting to have problems again this soon!!

How much do the pumps run for a replacement??

Also, while you kind chaps are looking at this thread, i've noticed a 6inch crack down the belt that connects to what i think is the alternator (from picture i've seen of them on ICE sections). Would it cause much damage if the belt went on the 5mile trip back to my local garage??

Am a little paranoid at the moment with having a 6 week old baby onboard i dont want any issues so i'd rathen not drive it with her onboard if there could be issues etc. Would the car loose all power (steering etc) if the belt went??

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Likey the oil on the upper engine is there from them the HG was repaired lasttime round??

Reason I'm worried bout it is i've only had the HG replaced 6 week ago so wasnt wanting to have problems again this soon!!

How much do the pumps run for a replacement??

Also, while you kind chaps are looking at this thread, i've noticed a 6inch crack down the belt that connects to what i think is the alternator (from picture i've seen of them on ICE sections). Would it cause much damage if the belt went on the 5mile trip back to my local garage??

Am a little paranoid at the moment with having a 6 week old baby onboard i dont want any issues so i'd rathen not drive it with her onboard if there could be issues etc. Would the car loose all power (steering etc) if the belt went??
Whoever did the HG needs to sort it out, that is if they actually replaced the pump in the first place.

Does the crack go right through and which side is it?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When i originally went in i asked for the HG, timing belt and pump to be done so i'll have to double check what was done on the recipt. Maybe the pump wasnt done and thats why £300 was closer to about going rate.

The crack does go right through the belt. Not 100% what you mean about which side tho. Its on the righthand side of the belt as you're looking at the front of the car. I'm gonna be taking it back in tomorrow to check but if he didnt do the pump then i'm gonna have to get that done this time round. Can the pump be access to be replaced on its own without having to strip much out?? If its safe to do so i'll drive it down first thing tomorrow..

Shame some of you fine guys arn't in Barnsley :p

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
By side I mean top side(smooth side) or ribbed side? I don't think your gonna have a problem driving 5 miles, just go easy?

Pump can be replaced, but it means taking all belts off again, so get the other belts replaced, should have all been done with the cambelt really. A snapped belt can do a fair bit of damage if it gets caught up.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the rip is in the top side but i goes right through the belt once side to the other...

Managed go get her home ok this morning so just to 1/2 downhill to my local garage to see what they can do today. Cheers for the help guys, i'll let you know how i get on

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well stop on diagnostics chaps... the pump has gone. Should back back up and running tomorrow evening with any luck. Having that belt done too so fingers crossed this could be my last little issue for a while :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts