MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an absolute emotional wreck at the moment. Not sure how sad that makes me but I'm way past caring. I love MG Rover because I feel something for the company, it's products and it's importantance to the culture of this country.

I get really annoyed when people go on and on and on about silly things which as a Brit I'm meant to feel some level emotional attachment for. E.g Fox hunting or the pound. Frankly I couldn't give a damn what we currency use, because to me it does not represent this countries national identity.

For me it is far more important to have pride in what we as a country do/ contribute to the world. MG and Rover is something that we contribute to the world. When Peter Stevens designs a car, it says something not just about him but our country. Where else would you find such use of wood and leather in a car? The 75 is a typical example of a British car. When I travel abroad people don't say what a lovely currency you have, they say what a nice car you drive. Very British!

How can I have any pride in my country if MG Rover goes down the drain? I know some proud Brits amongs you will say thing like we still have British Airways or someting. But to me this was never just about jobs it was about who we are. MG Rover's are built by a community that sums up everything good about Britain. It fills me with pride that Longbridge is 100 years old. I'm proud of what they make. I'm proud that the cars are "built" by people who are upper class, middle class and working class. Black or white. Red or blue. MGR employees all kind of Brits. I'm also very proud of the people on this site who give a damn about something like MGR. It's who I am!

Now I'm going of to say a little prayer or MGR as I'm feeling a bit emotional......I cried when Ford bought Jaguar (I was only 8)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have to agree m8, the British public just don't seem to support MGR like they should. This is part of our national pride that is about to go to the dogs :sick2:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,679 Posts
MGROVERnut said:
Now I'm going of to say a little prayer or MGR as I'm feeling a bit emotional......I cried when Ford bought Jaguar (I was only 8)
Yeah, but Frod turned Slaguar from an ailing firm with products of dubious quality, into a reasonably viable firm turning out products that people actually seem to want to buy (though still of dubious quality).

I too love MGR but unless someone with a shed load of money turns they're stuffed. And when they do have spare cash they waste it on supercars or Peter Stevens facelifts (which did nothing to turn around the sales decline, but loads to pay for Peter Stevens latest holiday) whislt the bread and butter models get laughed at in the market place, so I still wouldn't have faith in any rescue bid whilst the current board are still in place.

IF this really is the end for our beloved brand there's only one group to blame - the directors leaving with pockets full of fat bonuses, whilst the folk that actually did the work will be lucky to escape with a partial pension and government subsidised redundancy package.

DD

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I feel the same.

I was have been pondering all day what is there left of this once great country?

I have tried thinking about other car makes - Loosing BMC>MGR have dented my interest in cars. I could never feel the same way with a Ford as I did with a Rover

Im not goign to give up the believe- Im hoping that a slimmed down company will emerge from this, stronger more profitable than before

I think MGR was just trying to be too big

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
In a few years, I can see I will have choice but to emigrate from this cess pitt. I really don't want to but this Country is going completely the wrong way. MG-R was the point of no return as far as I am concerned.

After they are gone thats it. The end of the British Car industry, and the final laying to rest of what was a Car Empire in its hey day.

And what does that leave? Some Swedes control what remains of British Steel, the Coal Mining Industry is a mere 4 Sites now, were sh!t at Footie, Cricket and Tennis; the Sports we helped the make! Were being as good as controlled by the EU to a point where we are losing out big time, and no politicians think this is a bad idea. Our Armed Forces are continuously being cut back on and use kit that doesn't work. Our Rail Industry is in shambles to which our Carriages are now being made in Italy. Don't even mention the NHS or the Post Office, and our Council Estates and Town Centres are no go zones without some Chav **** trying to barge you off the pavement...

WHATS LEFT TO BE PROUD OF? I'm not being eccentric, this is a valid question. Were not even allowed to be proud of ourselfs anymore without being called racists. We have NO freedom of speech anymore, and now, our 'great' Car Industry is either foreign owned or bust.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MGZRohno said:
There's more to life than a car manufacturer - get over it !
You don't get it do you? There are millions of Brits who think like you. But for millions of others this could be the nail in the coffin for national pride and belief in our country. Will the last person to leave Britain please turn out the lights.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I too Love MGR. Today, I have been mourning all day, constantly wet in the eyes. Really don't know what to do. I'm just praying that the Government or the P4 can still do something.

I've never felt this empty in my whole life. MGR was more than just a car manufacturer. It is a national treasure, and should be regarded as one. MGR was represented the real British attitude of not giving up despite the problems. They showed inginuity and a real passion.

MG, Rover, Longbridge and the employees was and is a real team. Something we should all try to do as a country, and work together.

To Rover & MG & Longbridge :grouphug:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I wonder if Towers will get a standing ovation or something spontaneous when he gets back to Longbridge?

He should, for everything he's done up till now...glad Im not at work, cos Im welling up just thinking about it!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Bazzer_Mcbead said:
In a few years, I can see I will have choice but to emigrate from this cess pitt. I really don't want to but this Country is going completely the wrong way. MG-R was the point of no return as far as I am concerned.

WHATS LEFT TO BE PROUD OF? I'm not being eccentric, this is a valid question. Were not even allowed to be proud of ourselfs anymore without being called racists. We have NO freedom of speech anymore, and now, our 'great' Car Industry is either foreign owned or bust.
I have to say, I agree with your every word there.

I've always supported the underdog. The little guy. I'm fiercely proud to be British. But now I've had enough. I'm fed up being part of the losing time all the time. I'm fed up being trodden on by everyone and anyone. I'm fed up living in a country where nothing works, nothing is made, and nobody cares unless it's about "Foo'ie".

I've had it. Just had it. Bah!

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I'm proud to drive a British car and I'm not ven British! I am Greek!

It will be a shame to see MGR die...as it was well said somewhere else in another thread this brand has soul like Alfa Romeo in Italy...that is why from Alfa I only would switch to MG.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't give up!!!!!!!!

Since hearing of the news coming through over the coming days, I have been increasingly worried as to what will come of this.

Only Wednesday I priced up my next company car (ZT T 135) for my chairman to sign off. Something that will not happen now.

I agree with the majority of sentiment that is being portrayed on these threads and the frustration we all feel for something soo special.

My wife even said to me this morning, that she could see how much this has affected me and how much MG Rover means to me, even though she couldn't personally understand it.

My own personal belief is that the Phoenix 4 took MG Rover onto their shoulders to give it a go, and do the very best of it. It concerns me not one little bit regarding the news about their pension payments. Indeed, for the personal commitment and undertaking they took on justifies this 100%. After all, who else was willing to take responsibility to keep manufacturing at Longbridge at reasonable levels? No one.

I can't see Ford looking at taking on Rover. Not with the European losses they have at present (look at Jaguar!!), VW could be a possibility, especially with MG being a viable brand for the US.

I just hope that in some form, Longbridge can be used to produce British Cars (ideally MG's, which have a good image both here and abroad), and I am glad that this site has shown that there are people around the Uk and the rest of the Globe that care about MG & Rover like me.

I raise a glass to you and to the MG Rover staff, who have kept the dream alive for so many years, and produced the products that have given me so much driving pleasure.

Until the fat lady sings, there is still hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Until the fat lady sings, there is still hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fat lady isn't even in the building yet, never mind on stage ;)

Regards

John

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm so pissed off with this poxy country, I want to move to a part of the empire / commonwealth that truly retains the values of Britishness that we've lost in the last 10 years.

There's a job going in the Falkland Island's government that's ideal for me (Network Manager), anyone know what the weather's like?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bazzer_Mcbead said:

After they are gone thats it. The end of the British Car industry, and the final laying to rest of what was a Car Empire in its hey day.

And what does that leave? Some Swedes control what remains of British Steel, the Coal Mining Industry is a mere 4 Sites now, were sh!t at Footie, Cricket and Tennis; the Sports we helped the make! Were being as good as controlled by the EU to a point where we are losing out big time, and no politicians think this is a bad idea. Our Armed Forces are continuously being cut back on and use kit that doesn't work. Our Rail Industry is in shambles to which our Carriages are now being made in Italy. Don't even mention the NHS or the Post Office, and our Council Estates and Town Centres are no go zones without some Chav **** trying to barge you off the pavement...

These are the thoughts of alot of people today.... me included... well said that man!!!

I think we should all play the italian job theme and remember the good old days lol ;)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Edenalig said:
These are the thoughts of alot of people today.... me included... well said that man!!!

I think we should all play the italian job theme and remember the good old days lol ;)
'ang on lads, I've got an idea.........

1 - 20 of 48 Posts