MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well, i had my r25 fully serviced last week as i have to for my warranty. Since i hate garages as they always do something wrong or stupid, i decided the next day to check everything out. Negative battery lead cover missing, not great but forgivable, coolant not bad, oil, hmmmm

i left that for two days see if any more would settle as this used to happened with my old car, yes the car isnt 100% level, but would this cause such a readin?. after two days that image ^ is the reult of my oil check. and no i cant see any oil on the floor.
any ideas peeps, shall i top it up? then proceed to burn the garage to a the ground and never leta anyone touch my poor baby ever again?

p.s. sorry about the photo quality.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the pcitures not helping the cause, the oil is actually barely past the minimum mark, you can just make out where the hatch markings stop becoming visible before it. The dark at the top is simply the stick being stained over time as i wiped the top to check as i initially thought i had way too much in! but it seems i have next to none, good garage, haha

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

there is where it comes to, like i said the colour further up wouldnt come of so i assume its a stain , i re wiped and tested this a few times and got this same pitiful amount on the dip stick

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yes I can see that now you have pointed it out. Take it back and complain, what was the level like before it went into the garage? Have they even touched the oil?

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
before going in....

is the oil clean or is it almost black?
Is the filter new or is it the same as was there before?

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Oil looks ok-ish to me, it will discolour very quickly anyway.

Can't make out the level - those sticks are difficult enough to read as it is!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, new filter ,plugs etc full service, i agree doc, my 214 was easy to read this ones a bit harder. think im gonna check again this mornin and add a tiny bit if it still seems super low. i dont have much in my bottle in the house left anyway

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
You say its on a slant, which way does the slant go - is the dipstick at the highest point or the lowest?

Perhaps try parking it the other way round if you can't find a level spot and see what happens :idea:

·
Registered
901 Posts
when you fill the oil to the top of the dipstick it doesnt fill up the filter so when you start up the engine your oil level will be about at the minimum cause it has filled up the filter

they should have checked the level again after starting

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
above post ^ thats what it sounds like theyve done. And also i tried parking it the other way and it was still low, its not a massive slant only slight , was low both ways though, just checked my bottle of oil i have 250 left, going a long journey tommoro , so in the morning im going to re check oil and if its low put this in. then if my car messes up on my journey im gonna gp back to the garage and personally molest every mechanic who went near my car, or or just set their feet on fire and watch them dance!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts