MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry- this has to be a topic made by itself. I'm so sorry I had to bring this up. This is not flame wars..but

"BMW got well and truly *****ed on that deal. They bought Rover for "front wheel drive engineering expertise" as they'd never done it, only to discover that all the FWD engineering expertise was at honda.

So, they took a stab at it themselves, and made a pretty good job of it (Rover 75). What they learned from that they put into practice, and went and destroyed most other FWD platforms out there in terms of driving dynamics with the new mini.

The mini is the big thing that BMW got out of it, and with the way they're selling world-wide, they'll probably make more out of the mini than they spent on the whole rover escapade. What surprised me was that they offloaded Landrover (the bit that was making credible models and MONEY), especially with the money they put into the Range Rover to such good effect when it didn't overlap with BMW's core business.

As for MGR, I'd rather my money didn't go there. It's an embarrassment."

See it for yourself at P**k**s forum, on the economic topic in the free forum

How wrong and stupid can one person be? Its ignorant to$$ers like this, that are an embarressment to our country.

·
Registered
rover_75
207 Posts
red_rover said:
Sorry- this has to be a topic made by itself. I'm so sorry I had to bring this up. This is not flame wars..but

"BMW got well and truly *****ed on that deal. They bought Rover for "front wheel drive engineering expertise" as they'd never done it, only to discover that all the FWD engineering expertise was at honda.

So, they took a stab at it themselves, and made a pretty good job of it (Rover 75). What they learned from that they put into practice, and went and destroyed most other FWD platforms out there in terms of driving dynamics with the new mini.

The mini is the big thing that BMW got out of it, and with the way they're selling world-wide, they'll probably make more out of the mini than they spent on the whole rover escapade. What surprised me was that they offloaded Landrover (the bit that was making credible models and MONEY), especially with the money they put into the Range Rover to such good effect when it didn't overlap with BMW's core business.

As for MGR, I'd rather my money didn't go there. It's an embarrassment."

See it for yourself at P**k**s forum, on the economic topic in the free forum

How wrong and stupid can one person be? Its ignorant to$$ers like this, that are an embarressment to our country.
Probably a Grauniad journo.......

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, and idiot with a Mitsibishi Galant estate. Daddy has a 7-series , the best car in the world you know? (as is the Galant :eyes: )

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bascially, what he means is...

How wrong can he be? Honda learnt everything they now know about suspension, handling set ups from Rover. You could say that was Rovers part in the deal.

Secondly, Rover Engineered the MINI. It was debited from Rovers accounts.

Rover engineered the 75. BMW's involvment was the Z-axle, but thats been changed and in the case of the 1.8, gone.

BMW took billions worth of Assets off Rover. They made Rover from an profitable company that was re-building its image, into an 'old mans car' company that sold old metal.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
No, and idiot with a Mitsibishi Galant estate. Daddy has a 7-series , the best car in the world you know? (as is the Galant)

Absolutely fecking hilarious... he drives a Mitsubishi Galant and then describes MG Rover as an embarassment :D Anyhow, just why would B*W want FrWD technical expertise when they only produce RWD cars? :err:

The fact of course that MG Rover's predecessors practically invented FrWD is evidently lost on him.

What a plonker.

John

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's shocking.

Is anybody in this country pro-British anymore?

Yes it's a private company and should eventually be made to pay its own way in a competitive market, but the benefit of the taxpayer to keeping those people in their jobs is much more than £100m (which is only a loan, of course.) Yes there may be thousands of low paid call centre jobs out there, but I doubt all of the employees at Rover and related companies would want to go from a manual job to having to ring people and get abused every day.

I particularly love the sig for one of the posters "Renault builds a better car" Better than what?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They hate Citroens on there, bar the ZX. And the Xantia.

They seem to have contempt for any manufacturer that has actually achieved something. They prefer the VW Skodas, Toyotas, BMW.

·
Registered
223 Posts
red_rover said:
Bascially, what he means is...

Rover engineered the 75. BMW's involvment was the Z-axle, but thats been changed and in the case of the 1.8, gone.

Eh? The Z axle went in all 75's.................................

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
679 Posts
There does seem to be a very ignorant attitude that any good bits of a Rover are because of Honda or BMW. A bit like the 'fact' that the L-series was a Honda engine because it's reliable.

Rover did benefit from Honda and BMW's input into their cars but it was a two way street. The MINI may have a Z-Axle but it was Rover who designed the set up once the specification had been finalised.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
tapped said:
Eh? The Z axle went in all 75's.................................
ONLY the V8 RWD 75s/ZTs have dropped the Z-axle, and it's been replaced by a similar multilink suspension, but Rover's design as the link placements in teh Z-axle got in the way of the new RWD drivetrain. The much lauded Z-axle is merely a multilink that looks a bit Z shaped. And as anoter point the Honda Double Wishbone arrangement is also just another example of a multilink suspension.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The z-axel was dropped on the 1.8's.I think. I'm sure. Only the diesels and the V6's have it I believe :)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can someone please correct Issaac. The thought of his outrageously wrong post is still making me cringe now. :itschy:

·
Registered
rover_100
34 Posts
Going back to the first post & the quote from the forum....BMW bought the Rover group for the 4WD expertise at Landrover because they (BMW) were working on developing the X5, to develop the 4WD technology would have cost £2Bn but they bought Rover for about half that...they don't care much for the FWD technology...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts