MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here we go. got a flat batt one day so charged it up next day its flat again so i got a new batt.didnt help did some tests and found 4amps going out off batt when the car wasnt running,it was from the alt,so looked on e-bay and got a new one for £65,the bloke said he got it new but didnt fit it,it looked new not a scratch on it apart from a cracked caseing where the delivery driver dropped it anyway the drain was fixed with the new alt but now it aint charging the batt and my batt light on the dash doesnt even come on at all p.s the bulb works fine.the car is a k reg rover 220 coupe petrol non turbo. please help before i go mAD.thanks

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi, If you earth the thin wire on the alternator the light should come on. If is does then the alt is faulty, if not the fault is on the car. I can look at a wiring diag when I go back to work on Tues if you need me to.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Ok, in the meantime check all the fuses both in the car & underbonnet, there may have been some sort of backfeed whil the alt was changed.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Right, here we go. The wire from the warning lamp to the alt is a brown/yellow one. I assume there is a 12v feed at the bulb (all the lamps use the same feed fuse) but it's worth checking. The wire passes through the fusebox in the car and then through the one under the bonnet but does not use any other fuse. I'd use a multimeter set to read ohms and follow the wire until you get a high resistance reading, I suppose you could jump a wire from the lamp to the alt to see if it works. Hope this is of some help, let me know if not & I'll try to think of something else!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts