MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been looking for a mk2 ZS for a while now to replace my mk2 45 diesel but having problems getting one in the right spec.

my 45 is a club se 113ps diesel hatch with sports pack so spec includes climate, 4x elec windows, elec mirrors, parking sensors, rear spoiler and gunsmoke alcantara seats. so obviously would like a similar spec or higher.

i've been looking idealy for a mk2 180 hatch....seen a few but they are either too expensive or had very high mileage for year. and i don't really want a silver one......fussy i know!!

i have seen a few 120's though with the 180 bodykit although with not quite as high a spec as mine and would probably consider one of these for the right price.

my question is how does the 120 petrol compare to the 115 diesel performance wise....i can't really see it as a step up but i've never driven one.

and is it worth waiting for the right 180 to come along as i'm not really in a rush to change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive got a 120 and my mates got the 180 and to be honest theres not to much diffence in them two cars. Never drove the diesel but could Imagine the 120 would be a lot more nifty than your diesel, to start with its the same engine thats in a lotus elise. I suggest you take one for a spin and compare it, only thing i would suggest make sure you buy one thats had the head gasket replaced with the new land rover one or tell the garage you will only buy the car once this has been replaced. mines only done 24K and the head gaskets gone, so it will go.

G

·
With the spec you listed on your 45, to have a similar spec on the ZS you will be looking for a late mk2 ZS as most of those would be standard. Of course there might be some earlier models with some of those specs.

If you can live with the cost of running the 180 then obviously get one but the 120 is also a good car. The TD you have will have loads more torque compare to the 120 but the 120 will pull well low down due to the maximum torque at only 2750rpm. Maybe even consider a TD mk2 ZS that could be hard to find with the right colour and spec.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the spec you listed on your 45, to have a similar spec on the ZS you will be looking for a late mk2 ZS as most of those would be standard. Of course there might be some earlier models with some of those specs.

If you can live with the cost of running the 180 then obviously get one but the 120 is also a good car. The TD you have will have loads more torque compare to the 120 but the 120 will pull well low down due to the maximum torque at only 2750rpm. Maybe even consider a TD mk2 ZS that could be hard to find with the right colour and spec.
i'm looking at a mk2. can't say i've seen many ZS115's with the same spec as my 45 plus the 180 bodykit.

i'd love a 180 but seem to be thin on the ground in my price range and area!

the 120 just doesn't seem(on paper) to have much performance wise to justify swapping the diesel for! it may be different 'on the road' though.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just before you consider the next buy, i'd have a quick look over on the Diesel forum at http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=190845 on page three you'll find a comparison of performance there. Might just help you decide one way or the other

If you throw about £600 at the diesel engines you can now get around the 160 - 180 bhp out of them whilst still retaining the economy. The V6 will be quicker off the mark for sure cos of the gearing but the tuned diesel will be better performing in the mid/upper speedo range than any other. Just wish MG Rover could have done this from the start!

Cheers, Phil.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
there must be something up with the 180 - i'd check for bricks under the loud pedal :err:
I was thinking and hoping he meant trim and not performance!

Back to the initial question......................what is the reason for change? Part of the questions regard economy, that word is discarded in the same sentence as a 180! It just doesn't fit!

Comfort with regards ride is as hard as it gets, don't expect a smooth ride. If you are only interested in the looks of the ZS, then consider a TD or 120, if it is more than that, try a 180 but beware, you will get hooked and all the common sense theories go out of the window!

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking and hoping he meant trim and not performance!

Back to the initial question......................what is the reason for change? Part of the questions regard economy, that word is discarded in the same sentence as a 180! It just doesn't fit!

Comfort with regards ride is as hard as it gets, don't expect a smooth ride. If you are only interested in the looks of the ZS, then consider a TD or 120, if it is more than that, try a 180 but beware, you will get hooked and all the common sense theories go out of the window!
not bothered about economy really as i don't do a lot of miles and the insurance is only an extra £70 or so. the 45 td wasn't really bought with ecomomy in mind......it was just there at the right time lol!!

i have driven a 180 and to be honest didn't really notice the ride being much different to my 45 although my 45 sits on non-standard 17 in alloys anyway.

the trim differences between all the cars in the range is confusing really as i've seen 110's with the v6 bodykit and then wind-up windows which seems very odd.

i'm more interested in the performance difference between the 120 and the diesel.

the mk2 v6 hatch would be my preferred choice but if i can't find one then i may look towards a 120.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
depends if it's a dealer or private sale really as i really need a part ex.

would probably drive 100-150 miles from here(i'm in bolton).

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
SMC High-Wycombe have a ZS 180 5-Door 2004 (54) in Pearl Black for £8,995.

I know its a bit further than you wanted to travel, but SMC sell good quality cars, albeit a little pricey at times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts