MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been talking to my mate and I`m thinking of removing the cat and fitting a sports exhaust eventually. I`m happy to keep the cat and refit for MOT. First question, what are the legalities of this? I know your gas immisions need to be within limit for MOT and the cat does this job, but in terms of insurance, etc does my MGF have to have a cat for road use?

The one I was thinking of buying was this one:
http://www.ukmgparts.com/index1.html?o=117554901327343 - if you can`t be bother looking basically it is the B&G decat pipe at £40

or ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOTUS-ELISE-M...ryZ38786QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
at £30

Now my next question is, the intake is going to be changed next weekend for the K&N but will removing the cat give me any more BHP without upgrading to a sports exhaust immediately?

Chris

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats great Herbie!!! Thanks for the link mate.....!!

Shall scrap that idea then...maybe sports cat and exhaust is the way to go.

Chris

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,125 Posts
Technacaly if you de-cat your is no longer legal, how your insurance Co. will veiw this is down to them when you inform them.

Although it has been shown that de-catting a VVC can reduce the amount of BHP by 6BHP.

I wouldn't even bother with a sports cat unless you need a new cat.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
I've never thought about that for my mpi, 'cos it's completely illegal here (like many other things) :rofl:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, thanks for advice! Read the whole review and certainly giving it up as a bad idea!

Sports exhaust is the way to go only not a cheap option. I`ll stick with the K&N induction and new clutch next week and then have save up and have a think again

Chris

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
and so it should be ;) It must be worse for the planet than 4x4s...
Tend to agree but wouldn't go quite that far.
A cat will clean up the poisonous carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides but the level of carbon emissions remains the same, cat or no cat. Its just down to how much fuel you burn.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Tend to agree but wouldn't go quite that far.
A cat will clean up the poisonous carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides but the level of carbon emissions remains the same, cat or no cat. Its just down to how much fuel you burn.
Actually cats increase carbon emissions through increased fuel usage, back in the early 1990s when catalysts were optional on MGR cars, the MPG figures were about 1.5 Mpg worse on cat equipped models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts