MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I used to own a brand new TF 160 just over a year ago, but traded it in for an elise sport 160 following a lot of problems with it.

I am now considering buying another one as I am after a cheap to run two seater soft top.

Which model is the best to go for?

I've been looking at the 1.6 and the1.8(135) and even another 160.

I am concerned about HGF and am under the impression that the 1.6 is less likely to suffer from this followed by the 160 and the 135. How expensive is it to replace the HG should it fail?

Also are there any other points to look out for on these models?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Regards

Andy

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
thier have been lower reports of hgf on cars after 2003 if tht helps =)

have their been any reports for tf's during 2004 etc? as i've not heard of any yet and wud love to know as i own one of tht year?! :idea:

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,614 Posts
A lot depends on budget and age of the cars you are looking at. You may find the 115 underpowered after the 160 I am not convinced that the 115 is any more or less prone to HGF it could be that there are less of them in the first place.

A typical cost for the HG is £500 + but it has to be said that on 02MY at around 20K miles have problems with HGF and then they seem OK when fixed with a MK3 gasket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.