MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have seen a number of threads from people thinking of buying a ZT. There have also been some from people thinking of buying a 75. Amazing how IT literate the older generations are these days! :dddc:

One very common aspect of these threads is people expressing reliabilty concerns, compounded by what they see on this forum. Of course people are quick to point out that you don't really see the reliable cars on here, since people don't generally post just to say that their car is running fine (mine is BTW, for those who wish to know), so I started wondering if there was any more generic indicator of reliability available.

I just came across www.reliabilityindex.co.uk. This is a website set up by Warranties Direct based, I assume on all the work they've carried out under their warranty programmes over the last 5 years.

The average reliability index on the survey is 112. The lower the number, the more reliable the car.

The ZT comes in with an extremely attractive score of 74.03 :bgrin: :bgrin: :bgrin:

The 75 is also better than average, with a score of 101.86. Much as I might like to think this is because the MGR assembly workers put a little bit of extra love into the ZTs, the more realistic explanation is that this covers cars back to '99, whereas the ZT only goes back to '01.

So - there's independent proof! The problems you see on here are not indicative of any sort of general malaise, but just a few problems concentrated in one place! Add to that the number of these problems that are quickly resolved with help from this forum, and you're laughing! :bgrin:

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Interesting Site
I have been looking for multiple home appliance cover recently as most of the built in Hotpoint appliances in my Kitchen break down regularly and individual insurance from Hotpoint is very expensive

Just checked the figures on there for my Picasso - 33 pretty low

I am surprised the ZT comes out more reliable than the 75 due to the nature of the way these cars would be driven (i.e harder) I would have expected the opposite,

Not many 1.8 ZTs about though so I suppose the HGF issues on the early 75s bump up the numbers

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keith Alexander said:
Interesting Site
I have been looking for multiple home appliance cover recently as most of the built in Hotpoint appliances in my Kitchen break down regularly and individual insurance from Hotpoint is very expensive

Just checked the figures on there for my Picasso - 33 pretty low

I am surprised the ZT comes out more reliable than the 75 due to the nature of the way these cars would be driven (i.e harder) I would have expected the opposite,

Not many 1.8 ZTs about though so I suppose the HGF issues on the early 75s bump up the numbers
Remember that the 75 has been around for 2 years longer than the ZT. Logically, more can go wrong in a car that is an extra 2 years old! Either that or you 75 drivers are secretly running your own 24 hour trackdays and not telling us ZT drivers about them :bgrin2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts