MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been over a year since i had a head off a k series engine whats r the things to watch for again. there r a few bolts hard to get to if i rember right

·
Registered
12 Posts
Head Work + bolts

Hi. One thing that really got to me when I had to do the Head Gasket on a 214 K16 was that I didn't know about the two engine stay bolts at the back of the head that needs to be undone before the head can be removed. It took me 2 days to figure that one out. The trouble is that you can't see them and can only be undone by feel. The other difficult bolt is the cambelt tensioner backplate bolt (if you leave the engine mount in place.. Good luck with the timing, getting the cambelt to line up correctly drove me nuts.

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BRAD said:
Hi. One thing that really got to me when I had to do the Head Gasket on a 214 K16 was that I didn't know about the two engine stay bolts at the back of the head that needs to be undone before the head can be removed. It took me 2 days to figure that one out. The trouble is that you can't see them and can only be undone by feel. The other difficult bolt is the cambelt tensioner backplate bolt (if you leave the engine mount in place.. Good luck with the timing, getting the cambelt to line up correctly drove me nuts.

when i did the 216 at the garage timing was a peace of cake. but im not lookin forward to veniers. dave andrews started explaining it and i got so lost

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
I didn't need to remove the head to fit Piper cams....just the cam carrier.

The vernier pullies aren't too difficult to set up....Piper do a very handy plastic timing disc that goes on the crankshaft pulley...makes life very easy.

The timing is far easier to do "in the flesh" rather than reading about it or having it explained....I think "intuitive" is the word I'm looking for!!

Ooh and don't forget the "cam lube".

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
technozen said:
I didn't need to remove the head to fit Piper cams....just the cam carrier.

The vernier pullies aren't too difficult to set up....Piper do a very handy plastic timing disc that goes on the crankshaft pulley...makes life very easy.

The timing is far easier to do "in the flesh" rather than reading about it or having it explained....I think "intuitive" is the word I'm looking for!!

Ooh and don't forget the "cam lube".
oh no cam's is just a extra while im there the reson for this is the car is slow devolping HGF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts