MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First snippet we learned, which I don't think is common knowledge on the forum: we know that MG-R no longer buys body panels from Swindon Pressings which is owned by BMW. But some of us wondered who now supplies them. Well today we found out - nobody does, they now press the panels themselves inside the factory!

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A statistic which I found quite interesting: The Rover 75 body assembly is 85% automated. The 25 body assembly is around 65% automated. But the 45 body assembly is only 48% automated. Meaning, the 45 is the most labour intensive of the three to build. But as far as we know, it's the 25 which is going to China...

G

·
Interesting about the panels. I was under the impression that MGR didn't have a big enough press to stamp the panels and the cost was prohibitive. Just goes to show that they have been investing and this will save them big bucks in the future.

Little things like this just go to show that MG Rover are well managed, at least in some respects

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
5,867 Posts
king arthur said:
But some of us wondered who now supplies them. Well today we found out - nobody does, they now press the panels themselves inside the factory!
well that was a no brainer waiting to happen. A panel press suitable to press a 75 tourer side in 1 single panel and make more in a day than MGR could manufacture cars in a week is available from a Spanish manufacturer for around 8 million pounds. Mitsubishi Australia just installed one and a massive brand new building to house it for about 15 million pounds.

I too was under the impression that panel presses were horrendously exensive until I read the press release when they installed it over here. See edited version below

----

MITSUBISHI MOTORS COMMISSIONS NEW LARGE PRESS

NEWS RELEASE
22 FEBRUARY 2005

Adelaide, South Australia: Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited (MMAL) today provided additional evidence of the company's confidence in its future by celebrating the commissioning of its new 'AA' tandem press line at Tonsley Park in Adelaide, South Australia.

The large press components, automation robotics, and associated facilities represent a AUS$40 million investment
that is part of MMAL's overall $600 million investment for the new car, due for release in October 2005.

It is the largest press line within the global MMC group, and the largest facility of its type within the Australian automotive industry. The press line is made up of four separate presses that collectively weigh 1,100 tonnes, with steel accounting for 90% of its weight. At maximum speed, it can stamp out 450 one-piece body sides per hour.

The machinery will make the one side panel for the new car instead of using four separate pieces for the same section, offering better strength and rigidity to the vehicle body shell. In short, a more accurate body is produced and a weight reduction in the vehicle is achieved, additionally the cost to manufacture is also reduced.

The presses are large enough to make panels for any model, including SUV-sized vehicles,
increasing Tonsley Park's manufacturing flexibility for the future.

In July 2003, Tom Phillips celebrated with employees the first sod turning for the construction of the new dedicated building that now houses the equipment. The building is 158m long, 30m high, 30m wide and includes a basement and main floor equal in size to a third of a football oval [that's an Australian Rules football Oval - ie a large cricket ground]

---

so AUD$40 million buys the newest largest and most versatile panel press line in the global Mitsubishi Group, complete with an all new dedicated building and full fitout and equipment. Seems strange MGR didn't install their own press lines in 2000. Given that shipping costs from Spain are lower it could have come in cheaper still than that in UK terms.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Hooray!

Let's hope it's no longer "prohibitively expensive" to press new panels like it has been in the past.

MGR really need new body panels it would make all the difference with the public :)

·
Registered
rover_75
417 Posts
Now if Rover had done that in 1967 and not merged with BMH (it feared losing its ability to get access to panel pressing companies) then it would have been a whole different story for them.

P6, P6BS, P8 and P9 not to mention LR and Range Rover...

At least this is not a case of history repeating.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some more interesting bits:

Rover 75 LWB is currently being knocked out at the rate of about 17 per week.

SV and SV-R is being built at the rate of just under 2 a week.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Bazzer_Mcbead said:
As long as they have buyers at the end of the line...
I have an impression those SV and SV-R are built to order as they are all customised. They also have one of the last Qvale in there, and some more rare cars too.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the TF X-Power 500 just parked there in S&R, I never thought I would get the chance to see it in real.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Quite a few interesting cars in the X Power car park, including the original SV completed with cracked bonnet (DOH) the TF 500 and the Green 04 ZRX oh and inside the P1 ZS

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
king arthur said:
A statistic which I found quite interesting: The Rover 75 body assembly is 85% automated. The 25 body assembly is around 65% automated. But the 45 body assembly is only 48% automated. Meaning, the 45 is the most labour intensive of the three to build. But as far as we know, it's the 25 which is going to China...
Perhaps MGR are simply going to discontinue the 45. It doesnt sell many models, and will be replaced by RD60 anyway, so they have no need to build it all, and if they move the 25 to China, there will not be the facilities available at Longbridge anyway.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
I agree, but I also think it unlikely that MGR / SAIC will build a new production line in China, and leave the current one at Longbridge building the 45, because they need the space at Longbridge for RD60, and also the 45 isnt selling very well, and would be hugely uneconomical if it didnt share the 25 line.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
The Marmalizer said:
That is interesting! Would never have imagined it would be that many.

:)
MG Rover Direct have a Non Registered LWB 75 for sale in Royal Blue that has been available since ast least before Christmas. It is for the pre-facelift model.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts