MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
2,255 Posts
That looks very nice indeed, and far too good to break.

Years ago I had the same problem with a car when the engine used to 'hunt' when it was warm (not a Rover, but a Capri 2.8 injection). It was, if I remember, a sensor or something in the injection system. Nothing to worry about price-wise.

·
Registered
other_rover
2,255 Posts
Rover_King said:
My dads volvo 340 used to "hunt" but the head gasket had gone.
Best thing to do is to check the water and oil for sludge, and then check the cylinder compressions. If there's no oil in the water and vice-versa, and the compressions are roughly similar across all four cylinders, it should not be too bad.

Even if the HG does need replacing, it's not a major task and someone will end up with a really nice car for not a lot of money.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Charles Regan said:
Best thing to do is to check the water and oil for sludge, and then check the cylinder compressions. If there's no oil in the water and vice-versa, and the compressions are roughly similar across all four cylinders, it should not be too bad.

Even if the HG does need replacing, it's not a major task and someone will end up with a really nice car for not a lot of money.
Are you talking about that Rover on ebay or my dads volvo?

·
Registered
other_rover
2,255 Posts
Rover_King said:
Are you talking about that Rover on ebay or my dads volvo?
I would suggest the same with any motor which had suspected HGF, and if I was to buy that Rover I would do just that.

·
Registered
other_rover
2,255 Posts
It's still 99p... unless there is a big surge of interest in the next 3 days someone is going to end up with an incredible bargain.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charles Regan said:
I would suggest the same with any motor which had suspected HGF, and if I was to buy that Rover I would do just that.
Yeah deffinatly. I wouldnt buy any car (especially K series cars) without checking the oil and water.

My dad doesn't have the volvo any longer, but we are certain the head gasket had failed. It ran very roughly and used to "hunt" at idle, It went through a coolant tank every day, infact I would fill it up with water before my dad went to work and when he got back it would be completely empty, and steam poured out of the exhaust like ive never seen before.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Charles Regan said:
It's still 99p... unless there is a big surge of interest in the next 3 days someone is going to end up with an incredible bargain.
Yeah. I have been looking at buying a car (that has a problem) as a project for when I drive or to sell on. It really is a pitty that its so far away. It would be ideal as im very farmiliar with the engine and the car.

·
Registered
other_rover
2,255 Posts
Rover_King said:
Yeah deffinatly. I wouldnt buy any car (especially K series cars) without checking the oil and water.

My dad doesn't have the volvo any longer, but we are certain the head gasket had failed. It ran very roughly and used to "hunt" at idle, It went through a coolant tank every day, infact I would fill it up with water before my dad went to work and when he got back it would be completely empty, and steam poured out of the exhaust like ive never seen before.
That sounds like a classic HGF.

·
Registered
other_rover
2,255 Posts
Rover_King said:
Yeah. I have been looking at buying a car (that has a problem) as a project for when I drive or to sell on. It really is a pitty that its so far away. It would be ideal as im very farmiliar with the engine and the car.
It's a shame indeed. The car looks spotless.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
real bargain for anyone willing to give it a go, especially as it could just be the stepper motor needing a reset, worth asking if its last any coolant or mayo anywhere

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AndBurG said:
real bargain for anyone willing to give it a go, especially as it could just be the stepper motor needing a reset, worth asking if its last any coolant or mayo anywhere
Most deffinatly. And even if it is the head gasket, if you can replace it your self then you can do it for £100 or less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts