MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we have finally come to the end of the road (for now!) We have put our lovely ZT-T on e-bay and will hopefully get enough to buy a Rover 75 Tourer. However, we have been looking for a similar spec Rover as our ZT-T but can't seem to find one. There are very few diesel autos with cruise control and even less with Sat Nav.

Still not sure if we are doing the right thing...console me someone??

G

·
You don't want to sell it. The MG will hold its price much better than the Rover even though bar springs/wheels/interior they are the same car

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Don't want to be a kill joy but £7950 is maybe way to much for a starting bid, a reserve maybe but I will be surprised if many people will come to look if they don't perhaps naievly think there is a chance they can get it for less

The Paypal required button might put people off ?

Paypal is not good for sellers as you have zero protection from a buyer using a dodgy credit card or doing an item not as described complaint maybe months later and getting their money back, Paypal are very good at taking money out of sellers accounts you are much safer giving them your bank account and sort code and asking the buyer to do a bank transfer, I did that a while ago, safe as houses.

Also PM Baz he has just said he is considering a ZT not sure if he want an auto though

good luck

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You are selling a ZTT to buy a 75 Tourer? Surely the buy/sell spread will eliminate any savings buying the cheaper (fiscally not derogatory) Rover version of this car.

I did a quick search of your recent posts and could not see any specific reason to swap, have I missed something or are you simply mad :slap: :fishslap: :lol: nope I can't find a smilie that is winking!!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
davidj said:
You are selling a ZTT to buy a 75 Tourer? Surely the buy/sell spread will eliminate any savings buying the cheaper (fiscally not derogatory) Rover version of this car.

I did a quick search of your recent posts and could not see any specific reason to swap, have I missed something or are you simply mad :slap: :fishslap: :lol: nope I can't find a smilie that is winking!!!!
Long story of woe...my wife is disabled with a bad back and the ride is too hard with the ZT-T around the lanes of Norfolk. Hence the heart breaking decision to try and sell it. We love the performance of the chipped diesel engine and style of the tourer. If it sells, it sells..if not, perhaps it wasn't meant to be....:wavecry:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
palwing said:
Long story of woe...my wife is disabled with a bad back and the ride is too hard with the ZT-T around the lanes of Norfolk. Hence the heart breaking decision to try and sell it. We love the performance of the chipped diesel engine and style of the tourer. If it sells, it sells..if not, perhaps it wasn't meant to be....:wavecry:
Change the springs and dampers to R75 items.

Much cheaper and could be a good solution.

Probably get a set from the scrappies if you are lucky - Roverbreakers, etc.

·
Registered
mg_zt
278 Posts
palwing said:
Well, we have finally come to the end of the road (for now!) We have put our lovely ZT-T on e-bay and will hopefully get enough to buy a Rover 75 Tourer. However, we have been looking for a similar spec Rover as our ZT-T but can't seem to find one. There are very few diesel autos with cruise control and even less with Sat Nav.

I'm after a diesel auto ZT-T. Its not that blue one is it?

·
Registered
399 Posts
palwing said:
I don't know if this is technically or aesthetically feasible, but have you considered maybe swapping the ZT seats for some R75 seats? They certainly look far more cushioned than the ZT ones.. Maybe enough to cushion your wife's back without having to sell the car? You could even sell the old seats on Ebay to keep the cost down.

Of course, this would depend on finding 75 seats! Just a thought...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keith Alexander said:
Don't want to be a kill joy but £7950 is maybe way to much for a starting bid, a reserve maybe but I will be surprised if many people will come to look if they don't perhaps naievly think there is a chance they can get it for less

The Paypal required button might put people off ?

Paypal is not good for sellers as you have zero protection from a buyer using a dodgy credit card or doing an item not as described complaint maybe months later and getting their money back, Paypal are very good at taking money out of sellers accounts you are much safer giving them your bank account and sort code and asking the buyer to do a bank transfer, I did that a while ago, safe as houses.

Also PM Baz he has just said he is considering a ZT not sure if he want an auto though

good luck
Thanx for your input...noted and actioned.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi..yep, we have test driven a few Rover 75's..saloon and tourers. There is a 2.5 V6 auto near us for £8k but it didn't feel as quick off the line as our diesel. Lots of noise and revs..but didn't seem to want to go. Couple that with poor fuel consumpion, we decided not to go for it.

However, it had 16" alloys and black leather seats which my wife found to be very comfortable. I find both cars good for me so not too bothered. Although the handling of the 75 is softer than the MG..I can live with that if my wife is comfortable and not grimmacing and hanging on to the door handle as we drive down the potholed lanes around here.

Depending on the outcome of E-bay, we will hopefully go for a newer facelifted model 75. If it doesn't reach the reserve then we will persevere with changing the interior and wheels of the ZT-T to see what we can make of it. We love the colour and style of the MG and will be very sad to see it go. <sniff>

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
We had this discussion a while ago but no harm repeating some of it and giving you an update

I have recently fiitted 17" Serpents with Dunlop SP9090 tyres the ride is definately harder than with either the orginal 15" Crowns or my more recent 16" 7 spoke alloys I also bought

The ride (and noise) with either 15" or !6" wheels was pretty much the same.
As mentioned the 17" give a firmer ride and I definately have more noise in the cabin from these tyres quite a bit more but not annoying I hate to think what it would be like with 18" ones though!

Does your ZT have the harder sports suspension?

you say you are thinking of a Face lift have you thought about going the other way I seem to remember someone here saying the Cowley built cars had a much softer ride with a different (gas shocks, maybe better?) suspension setup than the Longbridge cars if so have you thought of keeping the ZT for yourself and getting a Cowley 75? £2000-£3000 should get a good one

You may need to be a bit realistic though I drive a lot of hire cars I don't rate the ride on my Rover any higher than some of the Peugeots and VWs I often use and the ride on the new Citroen C6 is getting excellent reviews
For your specific needs do not tie yourself out of loyalty to the 75 find a car that suits your wife

Would for example the massaging seats be any use?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi..

Thanx for your considered reply, appreciated. We have looked at this long and hard, even to the point of recently buying a Landrover Freelander (TD4). However, sods law means that it causes ME to have back ache after an hour of driving it. However, my wife finds it fantastic for getting in and out of plus the bouncy castle ride is great for her back. We currently have 3 vehichles PLUS a company van which is a far too excessive a "carbon footprint". We are at a loss really as to where to go next but really do like the Rover/MG styling.

It's not really a case of brand loyalty so much, more that we have yet to find another vehicle which excites us and is such good value. For example, we went into our local BMW dealer the other day and tried a 02 - 5 series tourer 2.5 diesel auto. We went for a test ride which was definitely a softer ride than the ZT-T and it went really well. The seats were cloth but quite flat. Bottom line was it had 4000 miles MORE than my ZT-T, was a year older and cost £14,999. You can get a 04/05 Rover Tourer with less than 15k miles for that, with leather and much the same sort of car. So, we left.

Our requirements are to have a diesel auto with leather and cruise control, preferably a tourer. We are hoping to house sit in France again where diesel is still cheap. We must have comfort to enable my wife to travel and cruise for the French motorways. Long service intervals are obviously good too.

We have considered a Citroen C5 Exclusive as we used to have a CX. The suspension was fantastic on that but Citroen do seem to have reliability problems which has put us off. Depreciation on Citroens if pretty poor too.

Amazingly enough, every time we go into a garage to look at something, they are all extremely willing to take our ZT-T off our hands once they find out it's spec etc. Diesel autos are in BIG demand at the moment and the word is out about MG/Rovers value for money. One dealer told me that he often sells his Rover diesels within a week of advertising normally.

Thanx again...tricky getting old with medical problems isn't it?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I run my 75 and a Citroen Picasso HDi it has been 99.99% reliable only thing to fail from new has been a washer pump! and that was 86000 miles ago, and more recently my aircon has gone luke warm, but that is probably down to swmbo as she is now the main driver and never turns it on

All manufacturers have Lemons though and fortuantely I have never owned one from any manufacturer.

I have said this a few times but the Picasso is slightly more comfortable, infinately more practical and much easier to drive than the 75 what it does not have is the refinement though, i.e it looks cheap! but then they are bargains even new.

Citroens are very good value secondhand. due to the enormous new price discounting done to gain market share in the showroms

I must say though I think the new C5 looks absolutely ghastly, from the back having followed one recently!

I just had the C6 brochure come through the post today, the spec is very very impressive. will definately be arranging to borrow one asap.

What is better is within a year (when I might be considering replacing the Picasso) they will be on the secondhand market at bargain prices.

Plus the Picasso 2 is on the horizon, rumour has it it is a better and more refined version based at a higher price and because the current one sells so well they are going to sell both models for some time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mg for sale

palwing said:

hi is your mg ztt still forsale and what sort of price are you looking for as thats what we are after thanks mgman

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On e-bay now.

Hi, our MG ZT-T is on e-bay as I type. The auction has just over one day to run and the bid is up to £8500 at the moment. (reserve has been met)

Over 1300 have veiwed the advert and 63 people have put it on their watch list. Auction finishes tomorrow (Monday 19th) at 17.24.

All pics, service history and warranty info (some from today) are here.

http://freespace.virgin.net/pal.wing/MGZTT/index.htm

Search e-bay for ZT-T and you should find our advert. Good luck.

:sad3::sad3::sad3:

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Keith Alexander said:
you say you are thinking of a Face lift have you thought about going the other way I seem to remember someone here saying the Cowley built cars had a much softer ride with a different (gas shocks, maybe better?) suspension setup than the Longbridge cars
I dont think thats true.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Valley Services in Llandysul (Tel: 01559 362288/362256) had several new and unregistered CDTi-powered R75s in stock a few months ago - both Saloons and Tourers. Don't know if they have any left though. Bit far from Norfolk though!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanx for that. Distance is never a problem for the right car so might give them a call if we sell. Thanx again.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts