MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what is approximately the maximum mileage that k-series engine can survive if you take a good care of the car?
recently I read that it is designed for 160000 miles?
what do you think?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
alek said:
does anyone know what is approximately the maximum mileage that k-series engine can survive if you take a good care of the car?
what do you think?
Someone on here mentioned a figure of 180,000 for some component of the engine (a rod perhaps) which would probably fail at this figure.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
They should all be perfectly good for about 140,000 miles. Depends on what type of driving is done really, motorway driving can rack up a lot of miles with the engine running at 3k revs. Whereas town driving you can be doing 3k revs in first/second gear and hardly do the same amount of mileage. Ive heard of people doing over 200,000 miles with the same engine before.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
My 214 is on 114,000 now and sounds very sweet. No rattles, no smoke and revs and goes as well as when I bought it 70K ago. Expecting it to go well beyond the bodywork which is starting to show signs of rust.

To answer your question I dont know but my mate had an old shape 214 that did 184K on the original engine (parents car before he had it) and that was running great before he had a fight with something a bit bigger in it!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Bbroomlea said:
My 214 is on 114,000 now and sounds very sweet. No rattles, no smoke and revs and goes as well as when I bought it 70K ago. Expecting it to go well beyond the bodywork which is starting to show signs of rust.
I'm nearly on 109K in my bubble 1.4 8v (1997), no signs of rust except boot hinges! very pleased!

The engine now sounds a bit rough on tickover but runs sweet as a nut and always starts first time. No smoke/oil loss either, and revs like a new car

Although around 100k things start to fail:

since 90k ive had:
new head gasket
new water pump
new starter motor
new alternator
new wiper motor

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
A local taxi driver here had a 90 wedge 214 with 200,000 ish on it when he sold it. It was still going pretty much as it ought to at sale. Think he changed the gearbox once.

·
Registered
894 Posts
alek said:
what do you think?
One of my relatives had a metro 1.4 and that lasted to around 111,000 before the head gasket went. At the end of the day how long a car last comes down to two thing IMHO

(1) How the car is cared for

(2) At what level the owner thinks repairs are uneconomical and replacement car is the more economical option

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
120K off my G reg 214. At this point I had creamy water and a noisy gearbox, but it still moved.

Replaced with new engine and gearbox and carried on until an accident made it uneconomical to repair.

With regular servicing, and weekly checks figures of 200,000 are possible with modern engines. All depends on how they are driven - if thrashed from cold expect less miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts