MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I read somewhere January/Feburary 2010 or at least 'early 2010' this being the case they're quickly running out of months before Christmas to launch any info on it and get that order book opened up.

I was under the impression this model sat somewhere between a ZS and ZT?

PS Is there a new MG garage in Kent that anyone knows off? (just incase they open the book soon!) :)

i dont know but there is still a MG Rover garage in Rye. i dont know if they will be dealing from there or not??

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Who knows what they will be called!

Theres a picture on here of a Roewe 750 with an MG 750 badge and an MG 7 with a Roewe 750 badge!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I sincerely hope that MG Motor and SAIC more generally are not put off by the lukewarm UK reception to the TF relaunch. They have to bear in mind that the MG6 (or ZS/ZT which I hope they will call it) will appeal to a much larger market.
This is my worry too - SAIC (and NAC before them) made comments about the success of the TF before selling anything else in spite of poor TF sales in China, which hasn't stopped them releasing a range of MG/Roewe's.

Well it is reported to be based on the ZS!
I doubt it as the N1 goes back to the MG Rover-Shanghai designs. More an RDX60 I'd say, so probably some 45 and a lot of 75 in the development, but the model down from the 550/MG6 which is 75-sized but looks smaller as it's rounder. AFAIK the MG6 is the hatch version and the 550 the saloon version, so probably the Spanish MG 550 is just a mock up of the MG6 saloon for Europe.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
I doubt it as the N1 goes back to the MG Rover-Shanghai designs. More an RDX60 I'd say, so probably some 45 and a lot of 75 in the development, but the model down from the 550/MG6 which is 75-sized but looks smaller as it's rounder. AFAIK the MG6 is the hatch version and the 550 the saloon version, so probably the Spanish MG 550 is just a mock up of the MG6 saloon for Europe.
But SAIC originally bought the Rover 25 and Rover 75 from MG-Rover, it was only NAC who bought the 45/ZS. After MG-Rover went into administration SAIC continued work on the 550 and 350. They only appear to have started working on the N1 after joining up with NAC...

·
Registered
641 Posts
But SAIC originally bought the Rover 25 and Rover 75 from MG-Rover, it was only NAC who bought the 45/ZS. After MG-Rover went into administration SAIC continued work on the 550 and 350. They only appear to have started working on the N1 after joining up with NAC...

If you look at the "hard points" of the N1 Concept such as the location of the A and B pillars, and the fuel filler cap, you'll see that they are in the same position as the ZS which is strong evidence that SAIC have recognised the great potential that remains in the design. Having experienced the ZR, ZS and ZT before, the ZS (while admittedly not being the best looker of the range) was definitely the most entertaining drive of all three.

No doubt we'll get the usual daft criticisms about the new car being based on an old design, but I for one think it's an excellent example of SAIC using a proven platform to deliver an excellent modern looking and relevant product.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Yes of course, so perhaps no 45 in there. So why bring up rumours!

btw if you want some info from car mags, check out the Autocar(?) late 04 MG Rover Shanghai article. Especially of interest are the pics. I'd take these articles with a pinch of salt though. ;)

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
regarding the mg6/roewe 550 the r&d guys at longbridge in an interview with mg enthusiast have stated the only thing in common with the 75 is the front subframe everything else is brand new. ie it is not based on the 75 chassis.
the n1 hasn't really had a lot about the underpinnings realeased although i guess the dimensions could be similar to the 45.

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
Dont forget the 400/45/ZS is based on a Honda design so that is why it was never included in the deal when MG-Rover sold.

It might be a superb platform but MG-Rover were only given rights to it.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,067 Posts
Dont forget the 400/45/ZS is based on a Honda design
So is the platform for the 25/ZR.

NAC showed a ZS in China some time ago and referred to it then as an MG 5, so they must have acquired some rights to it ?

paynemgzr said:
regarding the mg6/roewe 550 the r&d guys at longbridge in an interview with mg enthusiast have stated the only thing in common with the 75 is the front subframe everything else is brand new. ie it is not based on the 75 chassis.
I find that genuinely surprising. I hadn't realised that SAIC had put up the kind of money to design an all new platform (or have they sourced one from someone else?). They have been working on more than we realised!

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
So is the platform for the 25/ZR.

NAC showed a ZS in China some time ago and referred to it then as an MG 5, so they must have acquired some rights to it ?

I find that genuinely surprising. I hadn't realised that SAIC had put up the kind of money to design an all new platform (or have they sourced one from someone else?). They have been working on more than we realised!
Er no the 200/25/ZR is a Rover platform nothing to do with the Civic.

The 3 door Honda Civic has the 5 doors running gear while the 200 has a Maestro rear beam axle. Nothing like each other.

When the chinese bought MG-Rover they bought the 25 and 75 and projects in development. The 45 is based on the Civic platform which is owned by Honda as was the 600.

If they are using the Civic platform Honda must have given them permission to use it or they are just using old cars lying around Longbridge at the time of the closeure which is more likely.

·
Registered
641 Posts

The 3 door Honda Civic has the 5 doors running gear while the 200 has a Maestro rear beam axle. Nothing like each other.

When the chinese bought MG-Rover they bought the 25 and 75 and projects in development. The 45 is based on the Civic platform which is owned by Honda as was the 600.

If they are using the Civic platform Honda must have given them permission to use it or they are just using old cars lying around Longbridge at the time of the closeure which is more likely.

Regards the 45/ZS (old Civic) platform, I think NAC and then more latterly SAIC have been busy re-engineering the Honda bits that they weren't allowed to use in order to retain the platform for the N1 Concept and the resultant Roewe 350/MG5.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,067 Posts

The R3/bubble 200/25/MGZR is based on a shortened R8 platform from the previous 200/400 (wedge), which was a Honda design (the R3 was indeed fitted with a modified Maestro rear axle). It was NOT a Rover platform.

The bubble 400/45/MGZS was developed from the Honda Domani based Civic.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
The R3/bubble 200/25/MGZR is based on a shortened R8 platform from the previous 200/400 (wedge), which was a Honda design (the R3 was indeed fitted with a modified Maestro rear axle). It was NOT a Rover platform.

The bubble 400/45/MGZS was developed from the Honda Domani based Civic.
That's also my understanding. In other words, it is a Rover development of a Honda design.

So it's not a Honda platform or a Rover platform, it's a mixture of the two.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Regards the 45/ZS (old Civic) platform, I think NAC and then more latterly SAIC have been busy re-engineering the Honda bits that they weren't allowed to use in order to retain the platform for the N1 Concept and the resultant Roewe 350/MG5.
That was indeed NAC's plan but I suspect that since SAIC got involved the changes have become more extensive. I guess there will be about as much ZS left as there is Rover 75 in the Roewe 550. Derived from a ZS yes, the same platform no.

The Rover 400/Honda Civic and previously the Rover R8/Honda Concerto were both joint developments between Honda and Rover with both versions developed at the same time. It was not a case of one being based on the other.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
The N1 - or at least the production model that will follow (MG4 most likely) - has been in development at SAIC since 2004. it may have taken some of the NAC MG5 project but I doubt it.

It's been pointed out how little 75 there is in the 550 and no doubt the car that will follow the N1 concept will have only a little bit of 75 and maybe even a bit of 45. That doesn't mean its all designed since MGR went bust, even if some of it datres back to mid-2004/early 2005.

By mid 2004 MGR's drift on RDX60 had already created two separate '45 replacements' - one a fraction shorter than the 75, the other smaller still, but both way off completion.

A lot of development has gone on since then but don't be surprised if pics from 2004/5 of MG Rover Shanghai designs look almost identical to the 550 and N1.

·
Registered
rover_75
6,031 Posts
So what we have are bodges that are having to be made to get round BMW and Honda patents?

Given that those aspects represent the best of the available models what are we indeed left with?

The Z axle on the 75 and the Mini are what make both of them handle so well and cost so much. I f you removed that from the 75 how good a handling or riding car would you be left with?

Also as said the chinese displayed mock ups based on old ZSs which they weren't in fact licensed to do, that given what's to stop them just doing a Geeley and copying what they have just to sell in china.

I thought the basis for the MG designed replacement for the 45 was based on a shortened and simplified 75 platform. Surely all the chinese are doing is going on what they(MG) started and keeping costs down by simplifying everything.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
forehead said:
The Z axle on the 75 and the Mini are what make both of them handle so well and cost so much.
Technology from the 1980s!

Everyone is asking for "new metal", not ancient stuff!

There is a reason why the ZS is generally considered to handle better than the ZT - the ZS does not use the BMW Z axle!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts