MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the email addresses for Ian Gow and the others at the Guardian. I'm going to write and formally complain to the editor, MP and the DTi

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
e668ecp said:
Does anyone know the email addresses for Ian Gow and the others at the Guardian. I'm going to write and formally complain to the editor, MP and the DTi

I hate to defend the press but if this what they are being told by sources in government who have approached them, then of course they will run with it. However if it is essentially untrue, then they should be taken to task!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
e668ecp said:
About what precisely? You are shooting the messenger...

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The fact that an innocent company is been played like a pawn for political gain for a start. I usually vote Labour but not this time around.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't think this as much about political gain as slovenly journalism. If Blair had wanted to make cheap political gains then he would just have to order the government to buy a load of 75s for all the cabinet and then make them all stand next to them with a cheesy grin and 'we back Britain' t-shirts: A good idea apart from the last part I'll grant you. The DTI have probably only opened their mouths because they want to take some of the credit for a deal that two days ago was said to be effectively done. Never forget that the government, that is the politicians, are not the same as the civil service who tend to run to a different agenda.

The journalists on the other hand have been none too careful about ensuring the accuracy of the message they have been delivering- how many times have we read/heard the JV referred to as a takeover/rescue as if MGR had nothing to offer the deal- whilst also reporting leaks from sources, laced with suggestions and rumours that cannot all possibly be true. As I have written in the forums before: If we believed everything the press has said then we can soon expect a deal to be announced whereby everything that was owned by Phoenix/MG Rover has been sold, there will be precious little money for new models to be built and Longbridge won't be around much longer because SAIC have bought all the models and marques and will soon be building them all in China because its cheaper. I don't believe them. There will doubtlessly be things about the JV that we won't all like and some of these will doubtlessly have been reported on before, but essentially the media are trying to put a spanner in the works because most of them have been confidently predicting the company won't last six months for the last five years. If the JV goes ahead their chance of this happening before their retirement will slim markedly.

If any one is interested, the e-mail of the Guardian Readers editor, whose job is apparently to correct mistakes and deal with complaints (busy chap) is [email protected] and his name is Ian Mayes.

Letters to the editor for publication can be sent to [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts