MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read a few things about recent Mercedes and I think we all know that recent ones arn't the best. So in your oppinion what was the last proper merc?

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
How about the previous generation E class? - failing that, how about the E class before that (dubbed W124?) rock solid and sold in droves, very sumptous and very comfortable.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MGR_Petrolhead said:
How about the previous generation E class? - failing that, how about the E class before that (dubbed W124?) rock solid and sold in droves, very sumptous and very comfortable.
What years were they?

·
Registered
965 Posts
i would say that the last of the proper mercs, was the 190, and its bigger brother the W124. built well like tanks and high in quality. also they have proper square rigged styling. i think the new ones are engineered to a price, whilst the old ones were priced to the engineering so were possibly overpriced, but solid!

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
Rover_King said:
What years were they?
the W124 E-class was from the early-mid eighties until 1995, and the replacement from 1995 till 2002/03 of course. The 190 was made between 1982-1993. Both were great cars. I saw a lovely red mercedes roadster today in Hull, had a personalised number plate but looked early eighties, which one was this? It was truly stunning and built and kept to very high standards indeed.

Did you know that the W124 was built at Rastatt - todays home of the A/B class?

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The previous generation E class or at least the one before that (W124) dont seem to actually say "E" xxx what ever on them, but instead things like "500". Or have I got the wrong car completely?

·
Registered
16,488 Posts
you are right, the car was only renamed E-class into the 1990s, probably from around 1993. All W124 versions made before then were distinguished by their engine size/type.

However I am sure there was an E before the engine number on the 1995-03 versions. I saw an 'E300 turbodiesel, P reg 1996/7 today on the A1 today for example. You don't see many of the W124's about though now.

·
Registered
965 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
the W124 E-class was from the early-mid eighties until 1995, and the replacement from 1995 till 2002/03 of course. The 190 was made between 1982-1993. Both were great cars. I saw a lovely red mercedes roadster today in Hull, had a personalised number plate but looked early eighties, which one was this? It was truly stunning and built and kept to very high standards indeed.

Did you know that the W124 was built at Rastatt - todays home of the A/B class?
you scare me! you know way too much information about everything!

where do you keep it all? i wish i had a mind like yours with exams coming up!

Dave

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
MGR_Petrolhead said:
you are right, the car was only renamed E-class into the 1990s, probably from around 1993. All W124 versions made before then were distinguished by their engine size/type.

However I am sure there was an E before the engine number on the 1995-03 versions. I saw an 'E300 turbodiesel, P reg 1996/7 today on the A1 today for example. You don't see many of the W124's about though now.
So what does the 500E mean like the car in this link? http://mercedes.pp.ru/tgal/5124-2-001.jpg

Surely it cant be anything to do with engine size?

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MGR_Petrolhead said:
Originally mercedes put the E after the engine label, then they reverted it to the front.

so initially it was 500E
then it became E500:)
Oh right. So whats the "500" bit mean?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
5.0V8 engine. The 500E was assembled by Porsche, but they are very rare in the UK, and LHD only. But I'd take a 1992 500E over a 2006 E500 anyday!

·
Registered
mg_zs
3,368 Posts
tanvir said:
5.0V8 engine. The 500E was assembled by Porsche, but they are very rare in the UK, and LHD only. But I'd take a 1992 500E over a 2006 E500 anyday!

thanks for clearing that up .time of nights' getting to my brain!!!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Did this thread arise due to what they did on fifth gear earlier? That angered me a lot! That car was very very clean and obviously taken care of over the years (even though it apparently had nine owners!)

Thats why fifth gear annoys me at times - they take perfectly good cars and destroy them :( Theyve used rovers quite a lot in the past too :mad:

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tanvir said:
Did this thread arise due to what they did on fifth gear earlier? That angered me a lot! That car was very very clean and obviously taken care of over the years (even though it apparently had nine owners!)

Thats why fifth gear annoys me at times - they take perfectly good cars and destroy them :( Theyve used rovers quite a lot in the past too :mad:
I did see it yes but thats not the reason.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
tanvir said:

I caught the bit showing that last night. Walking round it hitting the panels with a baseball bat? What's that meant to prove? Waste of what looked like a solid car with zero entertainment value from poor presenters with no imagination except to try and copy Top Gear.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts