841 - 860 of 860 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #842 ·
Nice to know your engine is up to spec 💪
Don't feel happy too quickly @gnu ! ;)
We can't be cocky too long when we own a Rover, can we? :giggle:
Despite all my pleasure to drive my comfy & powerful 75, something looks rather annoying since a while.
My front brakes tend to judder. TBH it's a problem since the very beginning of my ownership.
The front disks had been to be swapped for my purchase probably already for that reason in Sept 2017. Then braking was apparently satisfying.
But again it became worse so once more brakes & pads were renewed with good quality parts (Brembo) in Apr 2018.
However since a year the problem is back again.
Nothing really noticeable when you're breaking softly or on the contrary suddenly and hard but in between. It's unpleasant & worrying.
I guess the culprit might be the calliper hence I've bought a repair kit to swap every little bit that may imbalance the braking.
Apart than that I can't see any reason...
BTW the pads fitted nearly 4 years ago weren't the right ones: right size but without the wear indicator.
It's now time to solve the problem: I wish to keep my disks which are still good but pads need to be swapped and wear cable as well.
And the fluids will be renewed (brake & engine oil): oil & filter were done in November 2020 for the last time and should be changed within a year space when running with full E85.
My good man is going to be busy very soon...

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #843 ·
I'm amazed.
Last Saturday we went visiting our daughter & family 50 km away.
The weather was miserable, dull & drizzly and raining from time to time. I let you imagine the dampness of the road with loads of water spills...
Back home in the afternoon Lady Carlotta was garaged as usual.
Generally when dry the body looks slightly stained with innumerable less or more dirty dried droplets of water, despite washing, polishing & possibly waxing beforehand.

I've had a peep on it today while putting aside some empty spare cardboard boxes.
I was utterly gobsmacked: the car was nearly immaculate as if it had just been washed and cleaned a few minutes before!
The reason should be that stuff used a fortnight ago for a simple washing & drying with recently purchased chamois leather sponge without any polish afterwards:

Tire Liquid Light Green Automotive tire

Unfortunately no significant picture could be taken in the garage, it's not enlighten enough but do trust me, it's amazing!

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #845 ·
Not seen that. Turtle wax brand? You’ll have to let us know how long it lasts…
Never so far I'd used a ceramic car wash, just a good shampoo, and never after rain & mud splash i'd seen so clean a car just letting it drying without any kind of intervention.
That's wizardry! :cool:
But don't be so gourmand! If it lasts several weeks I'll be very happy. But if it lasts several months then it'll be miraculous!
I'm a happy bunny: I've bought 3 big bottles! 😜

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #847 ·
BTW the long term mpg (column #6) 15.68 l/100km (18 mpg) is obviously utterly false.
Since Autumn 2017 my average mpg (brim to brim) is 12.5 l/100 km or 22.6 mpg of full E85 (approximate equivalent of 29 mpg or 9.7 l/100 km in conventional E5 or E10).
It's an initial mistake of Torque since my last reset which is slowly reducing the gap in the long run. I assume it'll be close to the truth later in the year.
You may have noticed the large discrepancy with the average trip (column #7) which is far more accurate.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #849 ·
Another lovely journey today. Sunny (but cold) weather and blissful drive.
Here are the last fuel-ups since last July remap, first for Brits then for the other Europeans:

Rectangle Azure Font Slope Material property

Azure Rectangle Slope Plot Font

Rectangle Azure Line Aqua Font

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

It looks mpg is slightly but actually improving, even in the present chilly weather. I should add that in winter the aircon is often off.
Anyway the last fuel-up shows 11.8 l/100km i.e. 24 mpg which is pretty satisfying, considering the E85 25% extra consumption.
In other words an equivalent 95E5 fuel-up would have given 9.4 l/100km i.e. 30 mpg, which looks rather thrifty for a 23 years old V6 2.5.
And don't forget the E85 low price in France (despite the recent increase): driving 100 mls costs only around £11 (average price), or 8.50€ for 100 km!
I don't know whether a 75 diesel gives back a better return.
And last but not least given the V6 delivers now better torque & better bhp, the dream is just coming true... :giggle:

Reactions: gnu

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #850 ·
Reactions: gnu

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #851 ·
I'm over the moon!
Since a long while I was worried by not only one, but two gremlins:
  • front brakes juddering
  • disgraceful metallic noise coming from the exhaust line (indeed I'd guessed the origin)
Hence I entrusted them to my good man, with a few services which were due to be done: oil & coolant.

Three of them (oil, coolant & heat shield repaired) had been done last week but doing so my man had asked me to add a pair of new front disks (there's a theme here: since my purchase it's the second pair, and even the third if I include another one done by the seller for the sale!) and... front drop links.
Then I was deprived of my pride and joy a whole week which remained at Limogne nearly 30 miles (45 km) from home! Our first separation... 😢

I hope now I'll not have to buy another pair of front brakes for long: brakes, pads & cable swapped and calipers fully taken apart & repaired with both repair kits. I bet that since the beginning the only culprit were both calipers or at least one of them which progressively buckled the disks. And changing only the disks had been done to no avail.
At last brakes are smooth & fine: no longer any move in the wheel. Phew!
No longer any metallic noise when accelerating or climbing uphill at full charge.
Every bolt & screw have been checked and secured and even my mechanic came with me for a few miles test to be sure there wasn't any wrong remaining and that I was fully satisfied with his work.
Blissful! :love::cool:

·
Registered
rover_600
209 Posts
Another lovely journey today. Sunny (but cold) weather and blissful drive.
Here are the last fuel-ups since last July remap, first for Brits then for the other Europeans:

View attachment 137571

View attachment 137572

View attachment 137573

View attachment 137574

It looks mpg is slightly but actually improving, even in the present chilly weather. I should add that in winter the aircon is often off.
Anyway the last fuel-up shows 11.8 l/100km i.e. 24 mpg which is pretty satisfying, considering the E85 25% extra consumption.
In other words an equivalent 95E5 fuel-up would have given 9.4 l/100km i.e. 30 mpg, which looks rather thrifty for a 23 years old V6 2.5.
And don't forget the E85 low price in France (despite the recent increase): driving 100 mls costs only around £11 (average price), or 8.50€ for 100 km!
I don't know whether a 75 diesel gives back a better return.
And last but not least given the V6 delivers now better torque & better bhp, the dream is just coming true... :giggle:
I have had Diesel 75s since launch night up until nine years ago they were always manual now due to my legs not working as well as they should they have been automatic.
Manuals driving very hard with ceramic front discs and carbon fibre pads on a 158bhp map it would return 32mpg. On the 120 mile trip when my daughter was at uni driving at 60 mph, I could get 60mpg. Normal driving going to and from work 30 miles 23 of which were motorway the average was 48mpg.
Then with the automatic the best I can get is around 38mpg. No longer have the brakes to drive the car very hard, ie track the average the saloon gets is 34mpg with the tourer giving 32mpg in very cold wether using the preheater it can fall to 29mpg.
Hope this gives you a comparison.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #853 ·
We all should learn to be thrifty with petrol from now on and for a good while I fear, shouldn't we?
As you say @alanaslan we know that automatics aren't the best compared to manuals.
And it's obvious as well that V6 are frightfully expensive compared to diesel.
That's why V6 auto have deterred so many of us... but me and a few other old eccentrics!
And to add eccentricity to eccentricity I've chosen E85 since 2017 and a remap in 2021...
That's why my 1999 75 is day & night compared with a stock one.

Yesterday I tried to drive quietly in my rather short round trip mainly cruising (often with the cruise control on) at nearly 50 mph (80 km/h) along country roads, limited speed obliging.
As expected with an auto the engine went barely over 2k revs and very often under.
Despite the fact that's it's no good not to use the VIS motors from time to time which are only activated over 3.5/4k revs. Nothing better than a good kick down to keep them in good health...
Anyway as expected my mpg was improved despite the fact that fuelled with ethanol (E85) the faster you drive the better is your mpg, the overconsumption being lesser compared to E5/E10 (it's a matter of fact, not a theory).

to Puylaroque (25 km uphill) gives 23.15 mpg (12.2 l/100km)
from Puylaroque (25 km downhill) 25.22 mpg (11.2 l/100km)
giving an average of 24.14 mpg (11.7 l/100km) compared to my usual 22.6 mpg (12.5 l/100km) since 4 years.
And don't forget that were I fuelled up the engine with E5, instead of 24.14 mpg it would give around 30.17 mpg (9,36 l/100km). Would you think of that about a 75 V6, wouldn't you?
And I should add that the difference isn't only based on my - I dare say - wise driving style (humour indeed!) but - don't miss the point - the recent remap which gives a far better efficiency in the low revs and hence a better driving result for a tad less petrol. Useless to say that now I do not need to put on the sport mode any more! No longer any lack of power especially going uphill. A dream come true... :love:

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #854 ·
Today with our thrilling 75 we did a short 20 mls trip to an inn nestled in an heavenly spot in the middle of nowhere (Mas d'Aspech, Belmont-Sainte-Foi, for those who would like to know...) and guess what I saw in the parking very close to our Rover when we got out?

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I didn't even know that Excalibur existed, made in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA from 1965 to 1989... What an unlikely encounter!

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #855 · (Edited)
A friendly article from Youngtimers # 130 April 2022. Sorry mates, it's in French!
Translation below.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

Better than a Jag!
Would you fancy a posh British V6 car which combines the charm of the oldies and the plusses of a modern one, all in all for a tight budget?
As the Jag S-type presented as well at the Birmingham motor show in October 1998, the Rover 75 adds a faked chromed grill, a large arched body line and a callipygian stern which remind of Jaguar, MG, Riley or Wolseley sedans of the 50s.
Her cabin shows all the British luxurious car clichés: cream leather, chrome & burr walnut.
Don't imagine she mimics the Jag of the poor: her finish is hither and thither better than the S-type mk1!
The irony of the story is that she is the first and last Rover built during the BMW era.
Nevertheless it's a front-wheel drive and under the bonnet the 177 bhp KV6 engine is smooth & pleasant and truly British.
But because of the financial havoc of BMW departure, Rover was due to become thrifty and replaced the genuine walnut with a plastic one mid 2001, but the reliability remains good for such an exotic vehicle.
A cunning choice even some pieces are hard to find due to the demise of Rover network from 2005.
To be watched over:
  • clutch transceiver
  • rear suspension arms corrosion
  • V6 3 belt service expensive

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #856 ·
I'm still puzzled since the remap of Lady Carlotta: she is easily driven with a light throttle on a trickle of gas and I'm consuming fewer & fewer petrol (E85)!
And very reactive & torquey as well...
Here are my last 5 fuels-up: amazing, isn't it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #857 ·
In Classic Retro Modern this month 10 pages about 75 & ZT but the V6 2.5 slightly underestimated...
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #858 · (Edited)
Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

As I'm out the whole next week for a trip in the Alps, I've just washed and clean Lady Carlotta with my miracle product (see above). Neither polish nor ceramic coating, only washing and wiping with sponge first, then shammy leather. Nothing more.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Icing on the cake for the engine: I've swapped the 5 year old K&N filter (put aside) for a Green Filter which is known to be slightly more efficient & mainly greener for the planet, with an all life warranty (K&N has a 5 year one). And it's engineered and produced... in France!

Circuit component Motor vehicle Computer hardware Auto part Engineering

For more information have a look on:
Green Filter Europe

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #859 ·
Font Red Material property Logo Brand

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #860 ·
Well even in a dream trip in the Alps where Lady Carlotta drove superbly, gremlins are never very far...
Neither one nor two but three of them made my teeth grind...

- First the unavoidable multi CD charger, once more. Anyway I thought I'd taken precautions getting from Trikey (75 & ZT OC) another good one. Just before going away I'd tried to swap the original one... Unfortunately the one Trikey sent me for free but the postage fees was worse and didn't work even when I connected it. Hence it put back on the old one which looks only awkward & disturbed. Sometimes appears the fatal 'CD error'. No other option than taking off the rack (which isn't very keen to go out too often) and reinsert it. The truth is the system doesn't like very much the random function ('RND'). Evidence: I've listened to the whole bunch of 6 CDs this morning without any problem with the 'SCN' function (10s of every track in a row). Conclusion: I'l never use any more the random function: the 23 year old mechanism may be a little tired, poor beast... I consider the problem fixed.

- Then one of the electric functions of the front passenger seat doesn't work any more: impossible to pull or push it, even the back of the seat can easily be moved. Never mind, it's well positioned and doesn't need to be moved. And I don't want to mess around with what is under the seat: it might be worse afterwards if only I'm able to reach the bolts... The back is tilting: that's the main point.

- At last the third one: my battery was inexplicably drained the day after we were back home. I saw that immediately thanks to my good permanent charger which couldn't end charging. And I'd been a little puzzled when I extracted all the luggage and the many bottle boxes: both SatNav leds in the boot were permanently on since the power had been shut up.
Yesterday I took off the SatNav and after a while the charge was complete. Anyway I put back the SatNav today and nothing wrong happened. Fixed (I know the trick to go back to normal).

Besides the car was brilliant and powerful. But you know what happens when a car is running at high altitude (less oxygen) and twisting and turning on steep mountain roads: it becomes dirt thirsty!
The worse I made is... 16 L / 100 km (last year, same month, same location = 15.6 L) , i.e. 17.65 mpg!!! But remember using E85 increases consumption by 25%. The other fuel-ups were 'normal' with a rather heavy foot and around 12.5 L / 100, i.e. 22.60 mpg. But beware: here in France E85 is around 0.80 € / L when 95E10 is around 2€ / L! 😊

841 - 860 of 860 Posts