MG-Rover.org Forums banner
821 - 832 of 832 Posts

·
Registered
rover_600
198 Posts
Life was so much simpler back in the seventies when we measured the power out put at the wheels. I remember owning a triumph 2000 which had its power measured at the wheels then two years the cars were being advertised with around 18% more power than mine on close inspection the difference was caused by the new car being measured at the flywheel whilst my girl was measured at the wheels after passing through the auto box down the prop shaft through the diff and finely at the wheels. Who is to say which is correct but they are apples and oranges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
rover_600
198 Posts
Back in the day all cars had bhp and torque measured at the wheels. Makes sense as that is what you are actually driving with. In the early seventies motor companies started giving power ratings at the flywheel. This has to be measured on a test rig engine out.
The Auto box has p,r,n,4,3,2. Well that is the writing. The number you select to the maximum gear the box will go up to when in use. You will all have the signs on our roads change into low gear. In the auto box you can still do this by selecting either 3 or 2 giving you engine breaking. Then you have S and E modes the difference there is the point on the power curve the gear box will change up the gears. Ie holding the the car in a lower gear before activating the gear change perhaps 1200rpm more reves till the upchange occurs. Thus holding the car on the torque band for longer but not always on the power band. I hope this helps with the testing with the auto box.
I think you have got your whiskey drinker sorted to give you the best of both worlds having a good power and torque output smooth gear changes still with a beast under your right foot when you want it and better mpg or km/l than before you started.
Very impressive graphs for a 2.5 whiskey drinker with an auto box.
One of my young friends used to work in a distillery he always maintained the best cleaning agent was the stuff they made. He was not a whiskey drinker but bottled the early sprit off the still for cleaning down the lines and equipment. Most of the early stuff is just dumped. I would love to know how much that actually is across the industry as a whole, I suspect enough to run the remaining fleet of petrol Rovers still in use and still some left over.
That to me is a tragic waste of a resource that we have but don’t use.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #823 · (Edited)
Very true. Car builders nowadays are giving deceiving information: one of the 'best' fraud scheme so far was the dieselgate...
Alcohol indeed is a very efficient cleaner but not as aggressive as some are pretending. Just a very good cleaner but nothing to be compared with acid. So many humbugs are circulating on the web propagated by poor souls who don't know anything nor understand a jot about what they are spreading...
What a shame what you tell us about the early Whisky stuff: alas I know the fact for I used to make plum brandy in the 90s when I lived near Saint-Antonin Noble Val. We had plum trees galore on our chalky soil and sun as well. Don't forget the area is well know in France for its prune production.
BTW I do enjoy from time to time a good lump of Scottish whisky: I particularly appreciate those single malts produced in some islands with their gorgeous peaty smell: Mull, Islay, Jura and Orkney... 🤪 :D

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #824 ·
Good news & bad news.
Let's be positive & begin with the bad ones.

My 6 CD changer is definitely out of order: it doesn't want to open most of the time, and didn't want to work properly & read all the cds a few days ago and now doesn't want to read any any more. I hope a very well famed seller on the other forum will be able to help me because a few sellers here in France don't look very reliable. The only one who offers a guarantee that his item is 100% operational is selling it 60€ + shipping, which looks on the steep side. Anyway that one may be a valuable contender if my British seller cannot provide me with a good certified one.
I don't want to be deprived of a CD changer: it's precisely for that reason that I kept my genuine then up-market radio and to keep stock all the features inside the cabin.

Another plague: since 2 days the car is making a very tiresome noise, but nothing to do directly with the engine that works perfectly. Moreover that nuisance is rather a kind of unpleasant even not very loud vibration, a disagreeable resonating frequency. It seems coming from the low part of the bonnet, like under my feet and is not permanent: only when accelerating at some revs or when the engine is submitted to a heavy load when driving uphill and only at some revs.
It looks like it's coming not from the engine but somewhere between the exhaust manifold and the beginning of the full SS exhaust line recently fitted. But I can't see any wrong when lying on the ground I'm looking under the car: nothing looks out of place, and nothing as well from under the bonnet. I suspect something touching the exhaust system or maybe a kind of clamp not tight enough and loosened by the uneven roads & awful bumpers.

To be continued...

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #825 ·
Anybody hearing of a gremlin in the glove box?
Going at the garage and willing to make some pics of the cd changer front part, I ventured to push on the green button and hey presto did the cartridge eject itself!
I put an only cd inside the rack and put it back into the changer. all the testing operations did well and the 'digit' placed itself in front of the only cd. I asked for a reading of every track with the 'SND' option and it worked.
Then I pushed upon the green button and once more the cartridge got out at once!
Hence I put in place the whole bunch of 6 cd that refused to play since the beginning of the week along our trip.
I asked for a reading of every track of every cd from the first one to the last one: all went fine!
So what???
An idea? I noticed that never since 2017 I'd shut the sliding door of the cd changer... Did it suffer a cold?
A whim of the sound system?
Thus I shut it. Let's see what will happen now next time when I drive the car...
Any idea will be warmly welcome about that very weird behaviour... Thanks! 🤪

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #826 · (Edited)
A very generous offer Andy made me for his 6 CD changer: he asked only for the mere shipping price!
It reminds me of a high-ranking chap of this forum who was very generous to offer me for free a much coveted armrest...
Anyway the CD changer was fully working when he took it off but just in case he'll test it tomorrow: fingers crossed...
I'm definitely a happy bunny. And would Andy's CD changer be out of order, I've reserved my definite answer to the French one until tomorrow afternoon.

Let's now talk about the positive side of our trip provided we don't tackle the weather problem...
I'm chuffed with the remap: the torque curve is far more linear since say around 1.5k revs and I can't actually feel the big gap there was previously between before and after 3k revs. The smooth and nonetheless very efficient and responsive acceleration is a delight mainly on twisted & hilly country roads and they were many where we spent our 'working' week! No longer any feeling of weakness in those hard situations within low revs, the KV6 2.5 not being really at ease out of large roads & motorways in the first place.

Regarding the mpg it's hard to make a fair & right comparison several parameters being different.
First the ambient temperature was sensibly lower than in our area. Then except the first trip on Sunday and back home on the following Friday, along 4 days we made relatively short journeys with several stops and starts along the day (hardly more than 50km / 30mls all of a piece) a little more than I do usually. At last lots of country roads we drove along were winding and sometimes very 'slopy' and incidentally at a slightly higher altitude. Four reasons which might have explained a rather lesser mpg.
Result: despite the relatively unhelpful conditions it looks I've consumed the same amount of petrol as usual: 23.14 mpg / 12.21 l (road cruising) - 21.85 mpg / 12.93 l (hilly & twisted country roads) - 23.02 mpg / 12.27 l (with a part of motorways), the average being around 22.7 mpg / 12.5 l since 4 years (and even 21.8 mpg / 12.9 l for the 10 last fuel ups). Thus no miracle but an indisputable driving improvement without any noticeable mpg deterioration.

Just now to tackle that harassing & disturbing vibration frequency...

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #827 ·
Well despite some are obviously spending nice holidays (but where? cold & rainy here, dreadful fires there and C19 everywhere... :eek:), I'm nevertheless nurturing the topic.
I've forgotten two major events which took place in our recent trip.

Let's begin by the one which could have been the death knell of Lady Carlotta...
Driving fast (but legally fast... 80mph) on the motorway, suddenly a deer jumped through the left opposite part (we are driving on the right part here) but stopped immediately between both crash barriers when our 75 was exactly at its height!
Then we passed (I haven't even had the time to brake or to be frightened so sudden it was) and immediately the deer jumped again just behind our car while crossing the second part of the motorway.
But what happened? A miracle? A sudden adoration for Lady Carlotta from the deer?
The car driver behind us was utterly gobsmacked at the sight of the scene told me my better half!
But what happened?
Both my ultrasonic whistles glued on each side mirror played their full part and saved our day thanks to God!

The second was music to my ears. When we arrived at the château du Fraisse, we were alone and were welcomed by the lord himself, Louis Marquess des Monstiers-Mérinville, coming to us and saying immediately: "I love your car!" Such was his admiration that he repeated it a second time after some welcoming words: "I love your car!"
That's what I call a man of great taste! :giggle:

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #828 · (Edited)
Today was MOT day for Lady Carlotta.
All is well that ends well: she's safe for 2 years more despite 4 minor advisories.

Two of them are exactly the same at every control:
1. the fog lamps don't look too well orientated but nobody can do anything about it for both of them aren't adjustable.
2. their machine cannot be safely connected to the OBD plug to test the exhaust fumes. Don't ask me why!

The other ones which are new:
3. An hairline crack in the right fog lamp but it reads that it doesn't prevent the shining of the bulb. Hence nothing.
4. The most preposterous one I should have tested before going to the MOT: one of the two bulbs that are lighting the rear plaque is out of order. The problem is that the plasma screen in front of the driver detects every failure on every bulb (I know that, and it scares me when that happens!) but on the plaque where both bulbs need to be out of order to be reported. It may be a bad contact as well: I'd noticed the problem before because there was a bit of an old corrosion on the contacts. As soon as I'd touched the bulb it was shining again. I'll have a close look on the following days, easy peasy with WD40.

• Love
Reactions: gnu and Roverlike

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #830 · (Edited)
Don't you want to know which is the oldest part in Lady Carlotta?
The rear plaque bulb I've just fitted in the afternoon! :ROFLMAO:
It's coming from a 'new old stock' - as they say - which dates from the 80s I'd got on the shelf, and mind that it's not the oldest spare bulb in my garage: nothing was written on it but it was in a set which reads "12v" and the shape & size being the right ones, that wasn't a big risk... And it works fine!
And there are still some other boxes that were intended to be used for my first cars in the 70s... (Renault 5 TL and Peugeot 104 ZS...). At last some 6V for my old Citroën 2CV (I'd had 2 of them) might be found somewhere as well... it's not impossible... It's incredible how conservative I am (and my parents were) despite a few removals... 🤪

·
Registered
rover_600
198 Posts
Good news & bad news.
Let's be positive & begin with the bad ones.

My 6 CD changer is definitely out of order: it doesn't want to open most of the time, and didn't want to work properly & read all the cds a few days ago and now doesn't want to read any any more. I hope a very well famed seller on the other forum will be able to help me because a few sellers here in France don't look very reliable. The only one who offers a guarantee that his item is 100% operational is selling it 60€ + shipping, which looks on the steep side. Anyway that one may be a valuable contender if my British seller cannot provide me with a good certified one.
I don't want to be deprived of a CD changer: it's precisely for that reason that I kept my genuine then up-market radio and to keep stock all the features inside the cabin.

Another plague: since 2 days the car is making a very tiresome noise, but nothing to do directly with the engine that works perfectly. Moreover that nuisance is rather a kind of unpleasant even not very loud vibration, a disagreeable resonating frequency. It seems coming from the low part of the bonnet, like under my feet and is not permanent: only when accelerating at some revs or when the engine is submitted to a heavy load when driving uphill and only at some revs.
It looks like it's coming not from the engine but somewhere between the exhaust manifold and the beginning of the full SS exhaust line recently fitted. But I can't see any wrong when lying on the ground I'm looking under the car: nothing looks out of place, and nothing as well from under the bonnet. I suspect something touching the exhaust system or maybe a kind of clamp not tight enough and loosened by the uneven roads & awful bumpers.

To be continued...
If you are stuck I should have one somewhere in the garage I will have a look on Sunday morning presently a third of the garage is not assessable my daughter bought a “new” house four and a half years ago so her young son would have a garden they are still living in their old house as whilst we managed to retain the original 17th Century cottage has been fully refurbished. The remaining two thirds of the house had to be taken down and rebuilt on a steel erection built on piles. The Garage and the two back bedrooms are being used as storage at the moment. If I find the cd changer drop me your address and it will magically arrive at your door.
We are meant to be downsizing perhaps next year.
Alan

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #832 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for your so kind proposal @alanaslan. :giggle:
But Andy Brown (Trikey) from the other forum has already provided my need with his old CD changer which is in very good condition and fully operational. I had only to give him back the shipping price. A gentleman like you.
Nevertheless at the moment my CD changer is back in service and working again, don't ask me why or how!
Hence now I've got a good one on the shelf just in case for peace of mind... I'm a happy bunny!
I wish your daughter & your grandson a happy removal. Lucky they are to live in the best part of an original 17th Century cottage. (y)

821 - 832 of 832 Posts