MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As the sun is out at last ive noticed i can not get my hood down as quick as it used to, it needs a little wiggle then it falls down, some times it needs a big wiggle, i sprayed WD40 on it and it worked fine for a couple of days, now it needs a little wiggle again,

any ideas?

Cheers
Chris

A

·
0 Posts
I was advised to use 3in1 oil as WD40 attracts dust and dirt....Maybe that will improve the problem - it helped my hood mechanism no end!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,041 Posts
Don’t use WD40 as its not a lubricant, you need to use proper oil such as 3in1 and lubricate all the joints. Also as you lower the hood it may help to pull the top bar towards you slightly as you lower it. This may help: link

A

·
0 Posts
See, lovely Chris agrees with the oil stuff - I wasn't wrong after all!

A

·
0 Posts
Just remember to use it sparingly and hold a cloth under each joint as you apply it - no drips on the seats etc!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
..and put the rood down,as that makes the other joints much easier to get to,and dont forget a bit of silicone grease on the hood catches to stop them from getting stiff.
ooo errr

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
Yep. As above, Ai apllied some 3 in 1 to all the joints during the week and it is back to its old smoothness. I could once again throw it up and down at the weekend depending on how heavy the rain was, just by leaning back abit with one arm. Brilliant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts