MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Radio 4 news Geoff Randall BBC Business Head stated that the confusion over what Towers did or did not say was maybe an indication of communication roblems within MGR and possible reason for the collapse: companies with bad communications don't last.

All the abuse slung at Hewett etc is running away from what has actually happened to MGR since the Gang of 4 took over.

*They have removed £40million from the company for their own benefit. Their pension is alright thankyou.
*They wasted lots of money on vanity products like the SV and V8. What value did these cars have? Could the money have gone into sorting out the 25 and making it competitive and hence the disaster wouldn't have happened?
* The facelifts were far to little late. The 75 was an own goal: it put off the buyers who liked the trad look and didn't bring in new ones, The 25 and 45 looked like bad KIAs. Both the 25 and 45 should have been facelifted along with the launch of the MGs.
*They treated the public with utter contempt in launching the CR by assuming they could sell a third world car at VW prices. What if some of their £40million had have gone into sorting this car out before it was launched because believe it or not the CR's failure was the final nail in the coffin: 20K sales last year would have kept the cashflow up and dealers on board.
*As businessmen they failed to make agreements and the one was TATA showed considerable ineptness. It's hardly surprising SAIC took them for a ride, got the IPRs and then watched Longbridge die. They've already got what they want. But then when you announce deals in November that aren't going to happen, why not take advantage of your incompetence.

I've watched the British car industry implode for over 30 years, a combination of grotty unions, godawful design and dreadful managers.

MGR engineers did a brilliant job with nothing, the workforce cannot be faulted. So that leaves the managers.

I hope the DTI announce an enquiry into what the Gang of Four actually did with the money. Put the blame were it really belongs. Companies don't die because a confusion over words. They die after five years of inept management.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I agree with you about most points, except design. I have seen many of the facelifts close up, and for what they are (little more than bumper replacements) they are superb.

Phoenix Four Rover, since the successful launch of the MG Z's and the TF, seems one misfortune or missed opportunity after another. :(

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
The government should take a lot of blame for not supporting MGR. They should have bought MGR cars to support the people they are voted to help. If they had used MG's for even 1/5 of the police cars it could have made all the difference and shown faith which the public would have picked up on

Yes i agree the P4 did make mistakes but that wasnt all that went wrong

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Ah, the wonders of hindsight. Whilst I don't doubt the P4 made some mistakes (they are human after all), they are not reposibile for the collapse of the company, they did all they could to do ensure the future of teh company, just to have it scuppered by the Government at the 11th hour by refusing the loan.

·
Registered
43 Posts
StreetBoy said:
If they had used MG's for even 1/5 of the police cars it could have made all the difference and shown faith which the public would have picked up on
So should another 1/5th of police cars be TVR's and Nobles etc

I'm sure the traffic police would approve .....

and as for this loan, thats was scuppered by the EU .....

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
diesel-inside said:
So should another 1/5th of police cars be TVR's and Nobles etc

I'm sure the traffic police would approve .....

and as for this loan, thats was scuppered by the EU .....
Well, a police car practically needs to be able to carry around a fair bit of kit and maybe even the odd criminal in the back. Don't think you could squeeze some of it in a TVR or Noble. Besides, these companies aren't volume producers and you pretty much are getting raped by the price anyway - that's how they are sure they get their money.

But that said, if there was a need for a fast TVR / Noble police car, I wouldn't object to them going to one of these companies rather than Porsche or Lambo, etc.

·
Registered
284 Posts
While I think mistakes were made by the P4, ultimately the reason this company is now in admin is due to a lack of sales. Maybe the money should have been spent bettering the current products than making the Sv and V8ZT's, but a company that looks like it is scrabbling for every penny would not attract new business.

In 'CAR' magazine (Sept '01) there was a big feature on the then new MG range, and a '5 years from now' prediction. One of the predictions was scarily close to the reality of today

·
Registered
373 Posts
SteveChilds said:
Ah, the wonders of hindsight. Whilst I don't doubt the P4 made some mistakes (they are human after all), they are not reposibile for the collapse of the company, they did all they could to do ensure the future of the company, just to have it scuppered by the Government at the 11th hour by refusing the loan.
Yeah, the first post on this thread is being really unfair.

Towers made a good fist of running Rover Group until '94. It lost it's way thereafter.

Here were four car men, not just accountants and professional managers. Exciting prospects.

They got stung by the Chinese, twice!

I'd like to thank them for trying. That is what dreams are made of, and people are just too cynical in England today.:sad2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts