MG-Rover.org Forums banner
801 - 818 of 818 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #801 ·
Bad news folks. This years 30mpg challenge has been cancelled. The destination Hotel has a Covid policy that I don't agree with (The details aren't important). There is a remote possibility that the challenge can go ahead, if the event organisers (I was scheduled to run two events) will take the material and run them in my place. Then it's a case of delivering the material and coming home again.

We shall see......

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Hello @Spudgun! 👋
How are you & is your Jag still driving well?
Cheers! 😊

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #803 ·
Don't panic. The Jag is still fine. At this time. It doesn't get a lot of use, so there's nothing to report. Events got cancelled. Dry weather allowed one of my motorbikes to get more use. The list goes on. With the current petrol price crisis. Well. You can guess. Covid lockdowns didn't help either. I'm just weathering the storm (Like everyone else).

One thing I can say though. E10 petrol works just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Happy to hear from you.
I'm not anxious fortunately thanks to God: otherwise since 2 years I'd had an heart attack or a stroke! :cool:
As I'd never feared that dreadful C19 (as thrice jabbed) we have maintained as many opportunities as we could either in France or abroad (Puglia in Italy & Jordan).
In France it's not questionable my V6 and my 214 cabby need to get out once a month at least whatever it is provided it doesn't rain.
And at last activities are starting afresh from now on next Sunday in my local oldtimer & youngtimer club.
Only downside: next Sunday will not be that nice and rain isn't impossible.
I'll take the cabby anyway! 😊
Today small 50km round trip to a fine restaurant: I'll drive my dream V6... :love:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #805 ·
The Jag still gets used on a weekly basis, but only when using one of my motorbikes isn't an option. Currently. It's a case of: Do I use something that returns 20mpg, or something that returns 75 or 120mpg?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #807 ·
You would be correct. Now that Spring is approaching. I can see the Jag being used even less (but still getting used weekly). I thought I'd just add an extra comment about E10 petrol.

I've been using E10 in the Jag since it first came out. Although I have yet to ascertain the effect on fuel consumption (I'll try again later in the year). I have yet to notice any effect on the car itself. The 'naysayers' have jumped up and down about possible effects and others have claimed that their cars have been 'effected'. I did check before usage, that my Jag was E10 compatible. It was. Not bad for a car that's 20 years old. Mind you. The X-Type was exported to Countries that were already using E10.

Sadly (or happily). Both of my motorbikes are on E5 as they use carburetors.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #808 ·
It's been a while since I last Posted. So what's the latest?

I've still got the Jag. It's still in fine fettle. It has past another MOT, but age is somewhat effecting it. As I may have mentioned before. It's an early X-Type. It's the one with poor sill design. The sills have already had a major re-weld. It's now had another minor one. The discs are wearing thin. I've bought a complete set of discs and pads, for when they need to be changed. Let's talk E10 petrol.

I've changed job and it meant that I had to drive further. I can confirm that I'm getting 2mpg less on E10. On the other hand. Emissions are lower. This was confirmed at the last MOT. So the Government information about E10 petrol is accurate (There's a first!). I may have a crack at doing a cost/mpg analysis of using 99 Octane E5 petrol. Which 'juice' offers better value for money? I think we ought to know!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #810 ·
I've just filed up with Super Unleaded. It's 97 Octane, not 99. Whoops! Although it's not scientific. I've done a mega quick snapshot.

95 Octane E10: 18mpg
95 Octane E5: 20mpg
97 Octane E5: 22mpg

Both of the 95 Octanes was for the urban circuit over a number of weeks. The 97 Octane was for a single trip, so there might be more mpg, or there might be less.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I'm utterly surprised by such differences!
I may admit that 97 octane should give more oomph than 95, but I'm bewildered to see such a gap for the same ethanol percentage. Idem for a difference of 5% within the same octane value.
There are so many essential parameters: kind of trip (town, country, motorways), average mph, temperature, A/C use, atmospheric pressure, altitude, level, you name it even if your pace is regular & similar.
I'm often surprised by mpg differences I can't explain clearly, it being understood I'm constantly fuelling up with E85 (octane 105) as you know.
So what? I'm relying upon average mpg set upon nearly 5 years...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #812 ·
At this time. The mpg for the super unleaded is just a ballpark for a single trip. It's going to take weeks to get an accurate average figure. The other two figures are accurate for the urban circuit.

As for the 97 octane. I've been using it in my Enfield for quite some time. Reason being: It's not E10 compatible. However. There's no extra performance. The engine just runs better. I admit. It's not exactly scientific. That's why I'm interested in what the Jag does with the fuel.

Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #813 ·
Friends. There is some serious strangeness, when it comes to petrol.

When I first mentioned that I was going to use E5 in the Jag. I said that it was 99 Octane. I then course corrected and said it was 97 Octane. Here's the thing. I've just filled my my Royal Enfield and the E5 was 99 Octane. So what's going on?

My normal 'watering hole' is Esso, as it's the closest to where I live. They sell Esso Supreme E5 at 99 Octane. When I filled the Jag. It was at Sainsbury's (I had to do some shopping), so I put petrol in as I just happened to be there. They were selling E5 petrol at 97 Octane. This is where it gets really strange....

I don't know if it was an error on the part of Esso, but their E5 was 2p a Litre cheaper then Sainsbury's! I paid £1.77 at Sainsbury's, but £1.75 at Esso.

Go figure!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Here in France to make it short the most common we can get is:
95 E10 or 98 E5 and that's it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #816 ·
Over here. E5 petrol is known as 'protection grade'. We've had higher Octane E5 petrol for years. When 95 Octane E5 was replaced with 95 Octane E10. The higher Octane E5 was kept for vehicles that couldn't use E10 (Like my Royal Enfield). I originally thought that all remaining E5 petrol was 99 Octane. Obviously not.

You learn something new every day!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
98 E5 is the only petrol recommended for older vehicles (carburettors) before 1990.
Otherwise 95 E10 is the most common for all modern vehicles (injection) post 1990.
And I'd forgot to mention my E85 octane 105 indeed which is more and more commonly spread all over France (even more than LPG now).

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #818 ·
You're correct in saying the E5 is for older vehicles. My Royal Enfield was made in 1999 and has a carburettor. Even more interesting is that my AJS was made in 2016 and also has a carb. Even though AJS themselves have said the my carb'd Ajay is E10 compliant. I'm still using E5. Why? Since Ethanol contains oxygen. The carburettor would need a re-jet to retain the ideal mixture. Problem is. Nobody knows what size the new main jet needs to be.

801 - 818 of 818 Posts